New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My bro-in-law is a jogger who has fear of a cougar attack while running through the back trails of southern CA. He wants a small, unobtrusive knife to ward off the "iddy biddy puddy tat". Outside of a serious reality check, I think he needs a heavy, fixed blade unit to even have a prayer. Guns are out. How about a few specific knife suggestions ?? TIA for all responses.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
He wants a small, unobtrusive knife to ward off the "iddy biddy puddy tat".

Cats don`t reconize knifes as a danger. Or guns for that matter. By the time he notices the lion is after him it likely will be too late. You want something to stop it right now, not after it gets ahold of you. Once the cat is in reach it becomes a matter of who bleeds the slowest with no guarentee either will survive. I doubt a big knife would add much to his safty. I try to learn about avoiding them instead of fighting one.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a photo posted on this forum of a mountainlion taken in Washington, it weighed just under 200 lbs.They are not house cats. A man did survive an attack in Vancouver with a knife but he survived because he had a blood problem -it congealed faster than normal blood !! They attack un announced from behind so the first defense would be a helmet and neck brace!Check this forum under pig hunting for knife suggestions ,you'll need a strong 8-10" blade.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Outside of a serious reality check

You are on the right track with your friend. Big Grin

If you want a chance against a cat that size you need a good 8" blade minimum. You also need to know what to do with it.

Jogging with my Trailmaster would look cool Ja Big Grin
One of the bigger automatic Microtech knives might be something that could strengthen your friends inner ego.

The Scarab DE is one mean looking knife, might scare the beast off.

http://www.microtechknives.com/default_2.htm

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I think a nice billy club would be more effective that a small knife. A tazer might work too. Bear spray is worth of consideration too. A small knife, not worth the extra weight, IMO. You really aren't gonna kill it with a knife, just convince it that you are too much trouble so it moves on. The club or tazer will do that fine.

Muggers would be a more likely problem...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One has to remember the Ca has some very stange knife laws. I belive double edge ones are out And certain types of points also.

One also hast to remember carrying a knife for selfdefense is illgal. But one can have the same knife for work or chores and be ok. So if stopped one has to remember one is carrying it to cut string, open mail, clean finger nails ect. But not for selfdefense.

If one does any research on cougar attacks. A good knife could be very useful beats a rock when the lion is on top of you. Fighting a lion off is a good idea. playing dead is a bad one because they are trying to eat you not chase you away.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
BEJ,

Your brother-in-law doesn't need advice on selection of a knife. homer

He needs advice on picking a place to live! nut

Kommiefornia won't even let him defend himself? He needs to move or resign himself to living like a rat in a maze with no way out. thumbdown

I can't imagine living in a place like that! bewildered

No wonder the crime rate is so high there... The citizens are ripe for the plucking for an armed criminal, or predator in this case... roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a bottle of A1 Steak Sauce at least this way he will taste better when the big putty cat has him for a carry out lunch.

A small knife is a waste of time a better pair of running/jogging shoes would be of more help. He could also consider finding some one that does not run as fast as he does to run behind him for bait.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think someone who carries a knife for protection against a mountain lion has seen too many tarzan movies.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray m:
I think someone who carries a knife for protection against a mountain lion has seen too many tarzan movies.

clap
I agree!! I would rather have a letter opener than my bare hands if fighting for my life with a big cat. However anyone who has seen how fast a mountain lion is and still thinks any knif can be of use is dreaming.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i run with a folder sog ,but the spyderco bill moran featherweigth can be useful too ,my warthog kabar is shorth and not too heavy if he prefers a fixed blade REMEMBER THIS TWO HUNTERS WERE KILLED IN CORDOBA SEVERAL YEARS AGO CHARGED BY PUMAS.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Juan

Like we would be so lucky. Eeker jump

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
If he's man enough to fight a cougar with a knife...why not just step it up a notch and plan on choking the cat our.

I think it would be legal in Calliforny to run with a strand of Piano wire. It only takes a few minutes of oxegen loss to make one pass-out.

That way he can leave the Cat relatively unharmed and not violate any game laws.

Somewhat seriously, if has to carry something, have get a stungun(NOT a tazer).

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
AFTER THOUGHT - If it was my brother, I give him a Porkchop Neck Lace. roflmao

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
I would think that a vintage Japanese Samuri sword would be in order here. He could wear it across his back and jog with it. With some practice he could cut the kitty's whiskers off before the pussy cat could react and that would run him off. Or, he could be just plain mean and cut the foul feline in two and be done with it. Smiler

TH

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Legend has it that American Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen had borrowed a iron kettle to make soap. He was carrying the kettle over his head in the forest with the sharp feet up. A cougar jumped on him and was impalled by the feet on the kettle.

Allens stomping grounds were around Bennington, VT and I saw a cougar there about 1957. Cougars are rare in VT.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the Samuri sword, but why not send your friend over to the Small Games forum here on AR, they know a bit about cats... Big Grin

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely the kind of weapon that might actually be useful in such a situation is not legal to carry.

A full length modern tanto (measures wrist to tip of the elbow) is about the minimum.

A riot gun loaded w heavy magnum 000 buck is likely to much more effective!

(Talk about takin' a knife to a gun fight ... ssshhhh!)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kenyaattack.html

see how fast a big cat can attack, see how he springs in a flash and the guys have no time to respond. if you cant have a handgun (preffered) i think knowing how to respond with ice in your veins will be the best thing even if i didnt have a knife. eye gouging asophagus crushing. if you fight back the cat will give up i think (just a guess) depending on size. a couple of people have been killed here in the santa monica mountains by mountain lions mountain biking triggering their chase mechanism. a knife will give me confidence that i can fight back and that is worth a lot. i would suggest a stun gun over a knife though. stun the hell out of it and then skin it with the knife and have a nice rug or a blanket. thats the best use for the knife thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
quote:
He wants a small, unobtrusive knife to ward off the "iddy biddy puddy tat".

Cats don`t reconize knifes as a danger. Or guns for that matter. By the time he notices the lion is after him it likely will be too late. You want something to stop it right now, not after it gets ahold of you. Once the cat is in reach it becomes a matter of who bleeds the slowest with no guarentee either will survive. I doubt a big knife would add much to his safty. I try to learn about avoiding them instead of fighting one.

This makes a lot of sense, indeed ...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished with dinner and probably have had too much wine to respond to this but will give it a go. I have a friend, Sandy39andholding, whom had a friend attacked by a cat while walking outside of Port Alice B.C., like he is wont to do every night. The cat ambushed him from a ledge and went for the head and neck. He (a 64 yo) fought the cat toothe and nail and was able to pull a Buck 110, look alike, out of his pocket, cut the cat's throat and it died. This was not before the cat took his face off. When I went up 1.5 months later he was still in the hospital in Victoria getting plastic surgery to put on a new face. we go up and camp in the bush every year. The Canadian govt. has deemed that I can't take a gun for protection so a knife is my only solution unless I just stay away. I carry a Buck General and keep my Randall #1 in the tent. My wife has given me her blessing to buy a Kabar Dosier for next year. With all this said, I have a CKRT M16-13T in my pocket for EDC. I would suggest something like that. You can't jog in N.CA carrying a 870 Marine Magnum but it sure would turn a few heads. I'm buying one to use on crack-heads and carjackers. BTW, while I was fishing this year, a child was grabbed by a cat and this fall, a gal was grabbed by a cat in Port Hardy, in her own yard, all in B.C. This what happens when hunting is limited. I've seen the video on the lion and shit happens, as in that case. They got their moneys worth and made the hunter famous.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote