New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steak knives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for some advice for good steak knives. Moved to Montana and now live on a cattle ranch; feels like we need to do them the honor We have the Lagouile. Poor tools. I ordered the Shun premier. Very sharp but too light and the machine pressed "Hand hammering" turned me off. I also decided that I didn't want Japanese styling for these.

Looking for something is the $100-400 range each and I want 8.

Any thoughts? Custom?

thanks

Brad

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Contact Lee Baumgard here on A.R. He does a good knife.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Just a thought.

https://www.africansportingcre...ica-knife-maker.html

I have a set of these with six individual handles and that are wonderful.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have/had a dear old friend that passed about a year ago. He had a Randall made for me (5-year waiting period) then I got it with my name engraved on the blade. I will miss him + damned if I know if I will ever use that knife in the field; just too precious, for a variety of reasons.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen pictures of the Randall steak knives (and have a few Randalls) There was a set of 4 for sale a while ago, but with their ordering limits and turnaround time I would be dead before I got a whole set together

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google Cutco knifes. They are wonderful and seem to remain sharp for life. They also have a wonderful warranty and are American made...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a thought.

https://www.africansportingcre...ica-knife-maker.html

I have a set of these with six individual handles and that are wonderful.

Those are Arno Bernard knives (from South Africa) and they have got to be some damn good ones! I personally know Arno and have been buying his knives for the last 16 years-from way back in the beginning when he was almost unheard of. Great knives and a great knife maker who stands behind all of his knives. tu2 Expensive, but good! tu2

I also believe that Lee Baumgart would put together some great knives for you. I have many of Lee's knives and he is a real craftsman as well. tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu Mitchel, here in the UK, makes some outstanding steak knives.

https://www.stuartmitchellkniv...gallery/#/gbm-steak/

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy some real nice wood plates/platers to use whatever knife you buy.

I just use Cutco on regular plates.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Lee

Check AG Russell.com

Cutco

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2 you won't be disappointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother brought some small cold steel bushman knifes for steak knifes.

They work well and don't cost much.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd import some steaks up from Texas. Texas steaks don't require $400 knives.

Posts: 3794 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of the Arno Bernard steak knives as a Christmas gift this year. They were quite nice.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Buy some real nice wood plates/platers to use whatever knife you buy.

I just use Cutco on regular plates.

Mike

True dat!
Don’t use good knives on regular plates.
That is just knife abuse.
Good aged beef cooked and rested properly does not need a scalpel or serrations to cut but I like good sharp knives just on principle. Wood platters!!!!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote