New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new custom .458WinMag Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted
Wayne Jacobson of American Hunting Rifles (known by many on this forum), just sent me some pics of my new, alas, still in his hands! Big Grin .458 Win Mag

It's a work of art, and fulfilled every dream I had about it.

McMillan stock, 20" barrel (Shilen #5), Ruger Hawkeye SS action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it. Very nice

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nice camo! Now to find a scope to match!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Nice camo! Now to find a scope to match!

Already in my hands, a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne does amazing work, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. What's it weigh in at?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Great looking rig! AHR (Wayne) knows BIG BORES!
Is it a Lott and weight ?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Short, thick barrels are a definite turn on.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Great looking rig! AHR (Wayne) knows BIG BORES!
Is it a Lott and weight ?

No, it's a .458 Win Mag. barrel is 20", stock is McMillan.

Weight? Don't have a clue, still in the hands of Wayne, but I'm sure it's light enough for long days to come by!

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Cool. Looks all-business to me. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose a 20" barrel over a longer tube?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle! I have a similar rifle in 458 Lott, with one filed, very shallow rear V. I bet you can still get 2050 or so with a 500 grainer.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle indeed! tu2

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Wayne just told me the rifle weighs exactly 8 pounds and it handles very well.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Kool..a tad heavy for me dancing
But perfect for normal people! Lol
Congrats on a great Killing Machine clap

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom CZ 458 Lott 21" Barrel. 500grn Swift's = 2110fps. So yes.. I also think it will do 2050fps

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
I have a custom CZ 458 Lott 21" Barrel. 500grn Swift's = 2110fps. So yes.. I also think it will do 2050fps

quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
Awesome rifle! I have a similar rifle in 458 Lott, with one filed, very shallow rear V. I bet you can still get 2050 or so with a 500 grainer.

Well, I hope to get about 2050fps out of this short but handi barrel. However my preferred load is with the Barnes 450 TSX

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Did you have any work done to the extractor, bolt pinning, and does the safety lock the bolt?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
New left image sent by Wayne, hope to have it soon with me!

And the test target with Barnes 450gr TSX

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Did you have any work done to the extractor, bolt pinning, and does the safety lock the bolt?

The Ruger Hawkeye action does lock the bolt with the wing safety in its rearmost position.

No need to work out the extractor or else.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice working rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What cartridge did that rifle start out as?

Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This really turned out to be a dandy little rifle. It started out as a new 7mm Rem Mag in stainless. I had the choice of a few chamberings to start with, but I figured I'd take another 7 Mag off the market, and the barrels make great Tomato stakes (I don't like 7 Mags).

The rifle balances and swings just sweet, and it's a shooter too. I shot the target that Gus posted today with the iron sights. I want one.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend Alaska Arms QD rings for that rig.
https://alaskaarmsllc.com/

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My mistake! I thought it was a 700 (puke) action for some reason.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:

A 700 action? Over my dead body Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Love it!

Try some Accurate 2230 powder.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you know, this is really a cool round, and looks like a fun rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
quote:

A 700 action? Over my dead body Big Grin

You sir, are a smart man.. Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figured I'd take another 7 Mag off the market, and the barrels make great Tomato stakes (I don't like 7 Mags).

Wayne, guess I'll have to find another builder for my $12K 7mm Rem Mag custom rifle project! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a rifle I imagine Phil Shoemaker would love. I bet he's busy with clients this time of year, and carrying around "ole' ugly". Your rifle is "new sexy".

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just got in with my hunter two days ago and have the moose hanging and the hide in the salt. I was eyeing this 458 and except for being maybe too purty, it appears an ideal Alaskan rifle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 458 win mag, it's one of my favorite cartridges. When I was growing up in AK a push feed 70 was my first "real" rifle. I shot everything with it. It's great in that there is an amazing selection of bullets both light and heavy. It's a great woods rifle and if you set it up right, 300 yard shots and farther for some are not unreasonable.

Take care.
smallfry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Form and Function! tu2

What are the contrasting finishes on the barrel and the barrel hardware and rings?
I really like the black accents/contrasts of the barrel hardware and scope rings attached to the subdued "earthtone" highlight of the barreled action.
Is that something like cerakote?
Not just beadblasted and blued, eh?

The matte black scope will be nicely subdued. Classy.
Don't worry about getting the scope to match the finish on the barreled action. Wink

Very nicely done! tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Gus i believe that you are interested only in long range work Confused this tool is for very close encounters ,we have to test it here mate ,i have several bad manners buffalos that deserve a 500 grain chip in the brain .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which McMiln stock is that?

Take care.
smallfry

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
NICE INDEED

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from the base action, what did this build cost?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Gus i believe that you are interested only in long range work Confused this tool is for very close encounters ,we have to test it here mate ,i have several bad manners buffalos that deserve a 500 grain chip in the brain .

Juan, you know LR work is very nice indeed, but Dangerous Game hunting is my other passion. Of course I was thinking about you as soon as I have the rifle in my hands. First stop Córdoba, then Africa, later Alaska. Just hope you can come with me! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
Which McMiln stock is that?

It's a Ruger MkII Classic model by McMillan, the finish is the original. Color is Molded-in.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I just got in with my hunter two days ago and have the moose hanging and the hide in the salt. I was eyeing this 458 and except for being maybe too purty, it appears an ideal Alaskan rifle.

Yeah, it can be purty, but it ain't no safety queen, will see the bush pretty soon. I went 20" after reading some of your notes about the ideal bear rig. Cool I'm sure you would appreciate this rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Form and Function! tu2

What are the contrasting finishes on the barrel and the barrel hardware and rings?
I really like the black accents/contrasts of the barrel hardware and scope rings attached to the subdued "earthtone" highlight of the barreled action.
Is that something like cerakote?
Not just beadblasted and blued, eh?

The matte black scope will be nicely subdued. Classy.
Don't worry about getting the scope to match the finish on the barreled action. Wink

Very nicely done! tu2

Cerakote in barrel, bolt, floorplate, barrel band, sights and rings. The perfect match I think. Wayne did an awesome job!

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Aside from the base action, what did this build cost?

I think Wayne should be asnwering that for you if you don't mind.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I will travel with you bro ,great fun .Need you to visit the base of army special operations .PM please.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Very , very nice. . You should be able to get full velocity from the 20" barrel. If your Shilen is anything like mine.
I had possibily the very first stainless Ruger M77 Mk ll . 458 Win. I had mine built in19 94. Mine started life as a 338 . I had the work done in Anchorage and Sitka. Kept the canoe paddle stock . mine weights 8 pounds 4 oz. With the iron sights and an under barrel recoil lug. Mine has a muzzle brake on it. Made by Wm Fowler. . I've killed well over a ton of Sitka Blacktails with it. Many tons of bears. I've his behind it in more than 45 up close encounters with brown bear in which I Did Not have to shoot a bear .
I've chronographed all kinda of ammo with it. And tho I can't explain it. The stainless Shilen barrel is fast. I get book velocities with book loads . And , in comparing velocities between it and my CZ550 , 458 Lott w/ 25" barrel it got the same velocities. Shooting Win Mag ammo. I've even wing shot crows with it. With 300 gr hollow point , 45/70 bullets going around 2500 fps . .
The 2 powders I use in it is 4198 and Accurate 2230. Getting 2150 fps with 500 gr bullets is easy pie with 2230. And almost 2800 fps with 300 gr Barnes X and TSX .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote