Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new custom .458WinMag Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautifull rifle ,Juan told me about it .Ill go with you in your next expedition ,it would be a lot of fun together.
Juan told me you will come to visit him again GREAT we will have a lot of fun .
Subt infanteria Marcos A.Fischer

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Have you had it out shooting yet ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very fine looking rifle ! And I am sure will be a rugged and outstanding using rifle.

The McMillan Classic stocks do give the Rugers a totally different look. I am a fan of the Rugers in that style stock and a few. Currently awaiting the arrival of another one with colors that hopefully are very similar (but you never know how the mix actually will turn out).

Definitely like the color combinations of stock and coating colors.
Very nice.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
I would highly recommend Alaska Arms QD rings for that rig.
https://alaskaarmsllc.com/

I am Definitely a fan of those rings. Slowly replacing all the rings on my Rugers with the Alaska Arms.
Today, I picked up another 4 sets for Rugers and 1 set for a CZ 458 Lott that has had a visit to AHR prior to my purchase of it.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
That is a very fine looking rifle ! And I am sure will be a rugged and outstanding using rifle.

The McMillan Classic stocks do give the Rugers a totally different look. I am a fan of the Rugers in that style stock and a few. Currently awaiting the arrival of another one with colors that hopefully are very similar (but you never know how the mix actually will turn out).

Definitely like the color combinations of stock and coating colors.
Very nice.

Thanks, it really took me a good deal of thinking because there are so many variations and the stock available was not the first one I had on mind, so once Wayne got it, I had to re think the new color scheme. I was surprisingly pleased when I saw the first picture. Really worked out good.

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Have you had it out shooting yet ?

Not yet, but will report back once I put it through its paces! I'm sure it's a shooter, just check out Wayne's test target.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't a very good pic. And it's pretty ugly compared to yours. But, this is my Ruger 458 .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many shots from the 458 did the caribou need to put it down?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I got that bou with my 9.3×64 . . I was just out shooting the 458 and wanted to take a pic of it. The whole ( overkill) concept is not really something I think about. This rifle has killed several boat loads of Sitka Blacktail deer . So, .
I don't have a gun bearer so the rifle in my hands is what I use.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't a very good pic. And it's pretty ugly compared to yours. But, this is my Ruger 458 .

Don't think so, actually I like yours very much. Classic SS and synth with the paddle stock, that while many don't like, I think it's one of the best around.

Tell us more about hunting with it in Alaska...one of the dreams that made my new rifle.

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had it built, We'll started in early winter of 94. It started out as a 338. I was dreaming about a newer, better rifle and playing around with it . I found it fed 416 Taylor and 458 Winchester perfectly. I debated between the 2 carts for some time but settled in the 458. I was living and working at False Island on Chichagof Is. More Brown bear than you could shake a stick at. . It was completed by spring of 95 . And started right in working as my primary all around rifle. Mostly just Brown bear protection and deer hunting after August. I wanted a banded front sight and a soldered on base for an express rear sight. But the Smith screwed me in the sights. So it wore a 1-4x20 Leupold for many years. Till the scope went gunny bag. It just crushes Brown bear. And with 500 gr bullets it just pokes a hole thru a Sitka blacktail deer. As long as you don't hit a big bone. If a large bone gets hit, pretty much everything that was attached to it goes away. And it can be a bit messy. Farthest I've killed a deer with it was around 300 yards. Closest I've dumped a Brown bear was around 20 feet away from the muzzle. It just turns a roaring nightmare into a big loose pile of dead bear. I've used 300, 350, 400, 450, 465 & 500 gr bullets in it. The 300 gr X and TSX with a m.v. of 2700 plus fps is a favorite of mine for inbound bear. But, I've never had a tough constructed bullet fail to work well from it. I mostly use Accurate 2230 and 4198 In it . 4198 For 300 +350 gr bullets and 2230 for 400 gr and heavier. But, I'm thinking about trying some 8208 XBR for the light weight and H335 For the heavier. I am also planning on making an old guys load of a 400 gr bullet @ 2150-2200fps. Probably the best group I ever got with it from the bench is barely sub 2moa. Yet I could easily call my shots out past 200 yards while hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this thread got me wanting to play with my 458 some. The only problem is the scope on it is gunny bag. So, since I was In town this Monday, I picked up some 30mm Ruger rings. I'm going to put a 1-4×24 30mm tube Vortex Crossfire ll on it to see if it can take the guff.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had it built, We'll started in early winter of 94. It started out as a 338. I was dreaming about a newer, better rifle and playing around with it . I found it fed 416 Taylor and 458 Winchester perfectly. I debated between the 2 carts for some time but settled in the 458. I was living and working at False Island on Chichagof Is. More Brown bear than you could shake a stick at. . It was completed by spring of 95 . And started right in working as my primary all around rifle. Mostly just Brown bear protection and deer hunting after August. I wanted a banded front sight and a soldered on base for an express rear sight. But the Smith screwed me in the sights. So it wore a 1-4x20 Leupold for many years. Till the scope went gunny bag. It just crushes Brown bear. And with 500 gr bullets it just pokes a hole thru a Sitka blacktail deer. As long as you don't hit a big bone. If a large bone gets hit, pretty much everything that was attached to it goes away. And it can be a bit messy. Farthest I've killed a deer with it was around 300 yards. Closest I've dumped a Brown bear was around 20 feet away from the muzzle. It just turns a roaring nightmare into a big loose pile of dead bear. I've used 300, 350, 400, 450, 465 & 500 gr bullets in it. The 300 gr X and TSX with a m.v. of 2700 plus fps is a favorite of mine for inbound bear. But, I've never had a tough constructed bullet fail to work well from it. I mostly use Accurate 2230 and 4198 In it . 4198 For 300 +350 gr bullets and 2230 for 400 gr and heavier. But, I'm thinking about trying some 8208 XBR for the light weight and H335 For the heavier. I am also planning on making an old guys load of a 400 gr bullet @ 2150-2200fps. Probably the best group I ever got with it from the bench is barely sub 2moa. Yet I could easily call my shots out past 200 yards while hunting.

Thanks a lot for sharing the rifle'story and the load recipes. Brownie or Grizzly will happen in time, and I wonder if my favorite, the Barnes 450gr TSX will do the job when hitting bone. I guess it should work, but first hand experience is the best to learn from. Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh ya it will work. But I like lighter weight bullets at good, fast velocity it would be interesting to see if you could Keep one inside a bear. The 350gr X , now TSX at 2500 fps is pretty close to the Perfect Brown bear load from the 458 Winchester. It just dumps them in a big pile.

Picture of Eaglet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
Wayne Jacobson of American Hunting Rifles (known by many on this forum), just sent me some pics of my new, alas, still in his hands! Big Grin .458 Win Mag

It's a work of art, and fulfilled every dream I had about it.

McMillan stock, 20" barrel (Shilen #5), Ruger Hawkeye SS action.

Nice, very nice! I'd love to take it to Alaska bear hunting. :-) Alaska is my hunting dream place that's not too far from Nevada. Enjoy it!!! It'll kick hard though... LOL... Good reading!

HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Posts: 6 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 18 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
Thats not only a functional rifle - its also a great looking rifle as well. Wow! You should certainly be proud.
Looking at your rifle make me want to chop the 24" barrel of my Zastava .458 down to 20" like yours!
It's also good to see another .458WM out there tu2

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eaglet:

Nice, very nice! I'd love to take it to Alaska bear hunting. :-) Alaska is my hunting dream place that's not too far from Nevada. Enjoy it!!! It'll kick hard though... LOL... Good reading!

My old friend, yes, it's bound to Alaska and Africa and I hope you to come along to try it!

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badboymelvin:
Thats not only a functional rifle - its also a great looking rifle as well. Wow! You should certainly be proud.
Looking at your rifle make me want to chop the 24" barrel of my Zastava .458 down to 20" like yours!
It's also good to see another .458WM out there tu2

Well, yes, I'm proud and grateful to the work did on it by Wayne, he surely deserves the honors.

And do not hesitate to chop the barrel down to 20", it's still plenty of velocity to do any job on your sights and will handle like a shotgun. Thanks for the kind words.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo:

Have you had a chance to weigh it yet?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Eaglet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wayne just told me the rifle weighs exactly 8 pounds and it handles very well.

Here is that information. I had forgotten I read it.

HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Posts: 6 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 18 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eaglet:
quote:
Wayne just told me the rifle weighs exactly 8 pounds and it handles very well.

Here is that information. I had forgotten I read it.

Thanks!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8 pounds dry, 10 pounds or less when loaded and scoped --- depending on how scoped and how loaded.
Perfect, I reckon.
tu2
Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of such rifles, plastic stock and SS or coated metal as a rule, but I really like everything about your rifle, the brown barrel and black sights are a real nice touch and the stock is lean and mean. Like the short thick barrel that gives weight to the front end and makes for good off hand shooting..Damn nice rifle so congratulations..Maybe I need to build one like it for myself if you don't mind. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Request for another photo showing the stock on each side, from the trigger back. The coloring looks SO GREAT faint
in the photos available so far, I just want a better view! I'm confident that you're having wonderful hunts with it.
I know zero about that action, is it CRF? All the best to you for years and years of use with this gem.

jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I am not a fan of such rifles, plastic stock and SS or coated metal as a rule, but I really like everything about your rifle, the brown barrel and black sights are a real nice touch and the stock is lean and mean. Like the short thick barrel that gives weight to the front end and makes for good off hand shooting..Damn nice rifle so congratulations..Maybe I need to build one like it for myself if you don't mind. tu2

Ray, a little late, but thanks a lot for the compliments. Just have to say Wayne followed my specs down to the letter. All in all, what I really wanted was a functional, working rifle, not a safe queen.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
Request for another photo showing the stock on each side, from the trigger back. The coloring looks SO GREAT faint
in the photos available so far, I just want a better view! I'm confident that you're having wonderful hunts with it.
I know zero about that action, is it CRF? All the best to you for years and years of use with this gem.

Unfortunately those are all the photos available so far, all by Wayne.

Yes, the Ruger Hawkeye is a fully fledged CRF action, in this case, despite the finish it's made of SS.

Thanks for the wishes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet rifle, reminds me of my Mauser-based .45-70 with 20” barrel except much prettier! But it’s been almost three months since you received the photos of the finished rifle, aren’t you impatient to receive it?

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote