THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Gato,just for grins;I grew up in Wichita Falls,(havent been there in years) but for a few family events.Point here is that every Sunday after church in the late 50's,early 60's all of the family would meet at Luby's or Underwoods BBQ. Memory says that it was very good. Have you tried it?

No, Wichita Falls is not on my travel routes normally. If I go thru there, I may check them out.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheap? Wasn't that the reason you told me you buy the steaks you buy?

It's not "cheap" if the quality exceeds the price. If you don't think my ribeyes are up to your standards, well, no problem, bring your own. I can cook mine faster, I'm fairly sure.

I don't think I've EVER eaten in a new Q joint for less than $20 and usually more like $60.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a BBQ rig built out of a 150 gal. propane tank W/ smoker on a 16' trailer (you've seen it Gato). The other night some sob came + stole my tires,just left it up on blocks.Hell,they were crappy tires but now I have to replace them if I want to move the trailer.Damn all thieves!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have a BBQ rig built out of a 150 gal. propane tank W/ smoker on a 16' trailer (you've seen it Gato). The other night some sob came + stole my tires,just left it up on blocks.Hell,they were crappy tires but now I have to replace them if I want to move the trailer.Damn all thieves!

Randy:

I often find the best deals on trailer tires is on walmart.com, especially if you can pick them up. Often saves a good bit on shipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Amigo

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better have a plan for how to keep those new tires, otherwise they are going to walk. Your thief isn't going to change just because he has your "crappy tires".

one of us
posted Hide Post
A hot 110 wired to the hubs might slow them down, maybe permanently. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Cattleack BBQ has been mentioned before (Gato, I think) and I'm not a huge fan of BBQ, so I can't vouch for the quality of the product but I know they are busy on the days they are open (they are located across the street from the DSC office) but today I looked and the line out the door stretched for at least 50 yards across the front of their building and across the parking lot, easily 100 people lined up outside, don't know how many can line up inside. Must be pretty good BBQ.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy I knew in Georgetown years ago hooked up a neon transformer to his work truck to discourage theft. (read 100,000 volts).I told Claude that you could kill someone. He did'nt care,no one was stealing his tools.A few days later this lady is out walking her dogs + one hikes his leg at the tire,there was a blue streak + a scream from the dog who went on his belly,crawled then flopped,crawled then flopped,etc.Best one I have heard was from a friend of mine who was an engineer for SOPAC RR in Houston in the 70's.He kept getting his CB radios stolen out of his truck so the next CB he bought,before installing it he brazed some treble hooks on the back.Yep the next morning that fellow was still hung up under the dash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Pecan Lodge, the best Q joint in Dallas according to Texas Monthly, announced today that they are moving from the Farmer's Market to Deep Ellum.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews...for-deep-ellum.html/

Coincidentally, I made it a point to go to Pecan Lodge today for lunch. Weather was crappy at 37 degrees and rainy, Kennedy 50th Anniversary in full swing nearby, it's a Friday; why not.

Step #1 in the process was skip breakfast. Step #2 was to drive the 40 minutes to Pecan Lodge with time to spare. They say the line forms an hour before the open at 11:00am. The Farmer's Market location, Shed #2, is basically a food court with every type of food imaginable, and some that wouldn't ever come to mind.

There is more than enough parking if you arrive early. To my relief I got there at 10:15am and found I was 8th in line. At 10:30am there were 11 of us in line. At 10:45 there were 15; and at 11:00am there were 25 in line. In other words, get there before 10:45.

There are actually two lines. The "Express" line was for people ordering over 5lbs of meat. That line was about half as long as our line. The good news is that both lines are indoors so everyone was toasty warm.

While we waited, a film crew showed-up and the owners were interviewed on camera.

If you get real bored while you wait, you can scope-out the skinny redhead in he Boom Juice booth next door.

At 11:05am Pecan Lodge rang the lunch triangle and started taking the first order.

The Pecan Lodge clientele are hardcore, blue-collar Q-eaters, and quite a few first-timers; excited like they were going to see Miley Cyrus in concert.

I ordered the 3-meat plate; rib, brisket, and Jalapeno-Cheddar sausage with one side, beans, for $16.00. Notice I said rib. You get one rib, but it was very meaty.

The beans were outstanding; spiced to perfection. I would give the Q-sauce a perfect 10 as well. You don't get much of it, and there is no bottle on the table to get more, but it was enough, and it was spicey and had some viscosity to it, which I like. The sausage was tangy and I would say it scored an 7.5 out of 10.

What you come to Pecan Lodge for are the brisket and ribs, and they don't disappoint. Both have a good outside bark on them. The brisket you don't cut as much as just pull apart with your knife and fork. The rib meat stays on the bone until you ask it to come off, and then it offers little resistance. I would score them both a 9+.

There aren't many extras at Pecan Lodge. No iced tea. No piece of Texas toast. All drinks are out of a can. The pickles and onions included on your plate look like they were an afterthought.

Over all, I was well satisfied, although I probably won't drive 40 minutes for Bar-B-Q very often when I have two good ones 10 minutes from the house. When I left Pecan Lodge at 11:35, the line still had 25 people in it, and a second camera crew had arrived to begin their interview.

One thing I've noticed since all the cooking shows got on TV is that everyone is a food critic. My wife and I find we critique every meal when we eat out. At Pecan Lodge it is no different. I noticed one man even taking notes, and three people at an adjoining table were critiquing everything they put in their mouths.

If you are going close to downtown Dallas and it is about 10:30 in the morning, you're crazy not to drop by Pecan lodge for lunch.

Adam flew into DFW for the Texas-Ou game last weekend, so my Q judging buddy and my wife and I met him and 4 of his buddies Sunday morning at #116 Pecan Lodge. 2702 Main St. Dallas, Tx 4.75/5.0 SIMPLY OUTSTANDING. Go if you can..

My Q buddy had been having a bad run of luck with his Q tasting lately and we arrived in 3 different vehicles, 2 of us parking behind Pecan Lodge for $5 a car. Line was significant, probably a 100 people in front of us when we got in line around 10:45 (they open at 11). They opened up and we aced most of the line by moving over to the "buy 5 pounds or more line" which was significantly shorter. I hate waiting in line, but this was very tolerable, made better by my wife going to bar and buying me a "Jackrabbit" draft pint. Light lager. Very good. 4/5.0 Later, because I couldn't resist the name, my buddy bought me a "Fireant Funeral" draft, which was significantly darker, and somewhat better for my tastes. 4.5/5.0

With 8 people to feed at one of the more expensive Q joints in Texas, one would expect that the tab was pretty high, and it was at about $350, but, thankfully, it was DAMN WELL WORTH every penny. Some of the finest Q I've had in over a year.

I ordered PLs "The Trough" at $75, supposed to be enough to feed 4-5 people. Ha, they must be counting 4-5 anemic Yankees. More than 2 could eat, but I think 3 hungry Texans could polish it off and ask for dessert. It consists of one Beef rib 4.0/5.0 which weighs about a pound, one pound pork ribs 4.5/5.0, one pound brisket 5.0/5.0, 1/2 pound pulled pork 4.0/5.0, and 3 sausage links 3.0/5.0. I supplemented this with 5 pounds of brisket, fatty end, cut thick at $22 Pound, and 5 pounds of pork ribs $19/pound. I can not emphasize enough how good/superior the brisket was. I don't know that I've ever had better. Thus the perfect score.

IT was a pile of meat and well received by everyone that partook. Recently PL has had some poor or indifferent reviews. All I can say is that long experience shows me that each day's output can be significantly better or worse than the average at a Q joint. Really a fair review should consist of at least 3 visits, but time, location, and opportunity make that impossible for me, so we review what we get and let the reader decide.

I will flat state, that based on what we had last Sunday, Pecan Lodge has THE BEST DAMN BRISKET in Texas, which makes it the best anywhere.

OTOH, PL is well known for its beef ribs, which are usually outstanding. This one was good, but not up to previous efforts IMO.

The pork ribs were fairly heavily rubbed/sauced, slightly sweet but really fine nonetheless.

There were 2 sauces in squeeze bottles on table. A typical tomato based red sauce, somewhat spicy, a bit sweet. 3.0/5.0 And a darker, vinegary sauce, which I preferred. Some pepper in it. 4.0/5.0

Pulled pork was decently flavored but could easily be skipped. I am not a fan of pulled pork as a meat. It is sandwich fixings to me.

**** 4 STARS, worth planning your wedding vacation around, to keep your strength and other body parts up.
Don't miss it and forget those negative waves. Very hard to impossible to find better Q in DFW area.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Gato,
We are making the pilgrimage to NE. TX to see relatives over spring break. Already made plans for Pecan Lodge brunch, then hopefully a Huntsville lunch .
Should be a good trip ( at least for my tastebuds ) .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno what you call NE Texas, but REALLY NE is Texarkana. I can recommend Naaman's (Stateline just N of I-30).

AFA Pecan Lodge goes, if you're a crowd of 3 or more and want to order 5 lbs of meat (called the Trough), skip the long lines and head for the express line. Parking can be a real problem, but there is a Pay Parking just around the corner of the block on which PL is located. Well worth it IMO. PL opens at 11 m/l, if you want to eat rather quickly, with decent weather, I'd plan on being in line no later than 10:45 unless you're going to use the "express" option as above. Depending on temps, can be quite chilly and windy, have women bring coats/jackets.

IMO, there ain't no really good Q in Huntsville, but the search is part of the fun. A bit further S, I can highly recommend "The Corkscrew" in Spring. I dunno how serious you are about a Q search, but tmbbq.com is a great resource, just punch in city name and see what pops up. Don't ignore one of the truism of Q, "if it's near an interstate, skip it."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, thanks for the info.
My mis-post !
I meant Spring, not Huntsville, from a previous reviw of yours. Then maybe Pizzatola’s for Lavaca’s rec of pork ribs.

And, when you’re from the Coastal Bend, DFW is NE. TX. Waaaay notheast ! But granted, not as northeast as Tex arkana .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip! From my experience, which is not common, to say the least, I have a hard time really enjoying 2 good Q joints in one day. Be sure to have an ice chest with ice to hold leftovers.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I reread my post and saw/recognied my fault!
PL is scheduled for Sun brunch. Spring will be lunch later in the week. Pizzatola’s even later in the week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, our tastebuds seem quite similar !
Had the PL experience this mornin. I could not get our group to agree on meat, so we could not order (5) lbs.
We did get there early enough to avoid a line.
I had the (2) meat plate consisting of brisket, pork ribs and collard greens.
The brisket was a true joy.
I’m spoiled on pork ribs and was not impressesed ! but did not expected to be. An ordinary diner would have ‘claimed’ them as great.
The collard greens were a type of sweet & spicy. Pretty good, just a different flavor than I grew up eating. I did not see a potato on the menu or a longneck anywhere.
All in all, the PL briset was suburb. I did get the impression PL has been affected by the gazillon channels of shit Tv ala (Franklinitis) and social media.
A TX cue joint w/ no longnecks ? W T F
I would definetly gladly go back, but only for the brisket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a good meal/time. I've had their collard greens a couple of times and was unimpressed. I'm just not much of a "sides" guy, I go for the Q and that is usually enough.

The secret to getting a group "to agree on the meat" is simple, don't give them a choice. If they've got any taste buds it will work out.

Good luck with Corkscrew and if you get SW of Houston itself, try Killen's in Pearland. Really Excellent.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frontline

BBQ, like a lot of foods you can buy at restaurants, I tend to prefer my own cooking.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
quote:
Frontline

BBQ, like a lot of foods you can buy at restaurants, I tend to prefer my own cooking.

In Kentucky, you might be right, but there is not 1 person in a thousand who can do Q like Pecan Lodge or Franklin's or many other Texas joints I can name.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,
We had 2 split tails w/ us. And I don’t mean the 4 legged variety.
That should explain it all !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Gato,
We had 2 split tails w/ us. And I don’t mean the 4 legged variety.
That should explain it all !

I'm sure that many will instantly jump in to defend the fair sex, but I think real Qphiles tend to be men. I dunno whether it's the flames, smoke, meat, beer, or what but women just, and I hasten to add, this is my observations, don't seem to love the Q scene like men do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they seem to be rare.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, headed back to N. E. TX . This time , Tyler . Any Q recs ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stanley's in Tyler has a great deal of "fame" for their ribs. They have been sold since their ribs were ranked so highly, which might explain it, but the new owners do know their Q IMO. Frankly, I wasn't nearly as impressed with their ribs as I was with their brisket, which, the last time I was there, was quite good. Be sure to get the fatty end, sliced thick....the way I like it. Ribs are worth trying as well.

By Texas standards, Country Tavern, which is W of Kilgore on Hwy 31 is pretty close. Pretty well known and usually highly recommended. I ate there once several years back, and the ribs were sweeter than I would have liked, but, my "sweet" tolerances have changed over the years and it might be worth another visit. Great venue with dance floor, bar at one end. If you're in the area and have the time, I'd really consider a visit.

Not exactly Barbecue, but, IMO, the best damn smoked turkey in the world is produced in Tyler. I can not recommend highly enough the smoked turkeys at Greenberg's, 221 McMurrey Dr., Tyler. Bring an ice chest so on your drive home you won't be overcome by the delicious smells of the turkey and have to pull over constantly to make your crew sandwiches. Delicious, and available on line.

BTW did you try Corkscrew in Spring on your last trip?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato.
No, we did not make Corkscrew. Got sidelined at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco . A whole lot of Tx history there . I highly reccomend it .

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Thanks Gato.
No, we did not make Corkscrew. Got sidelined at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco . A whole lot of Tx history there . I highly reccomend it .

No wonder you didn't go to Corkscrew, you were on the wrong interstate. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes , I know. One digit off !
I was not driving.
Maybe the next trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had lunch at Hutchins BBQ in McKinney today; the Rib & Brisket Combo for about $18. As good as it gets. Best ribs ever. Line was out the door until 2:00pm. I prefer the BBQ experience there more than that at Pecan Lodge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hutchins is quite good, I have to stop there next time I'm through. Wife always wants to get home.....last time I was in Plano, I bought her a new car. They wouldn't take her in trade. Something about too high mileage.....

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, you're going to Hell for that. Wait until I get back around Jen, and drop that little bomb. You'll be sleeping with Sandy for a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, your assumption that you're going to be around her is doubtful, to say the least. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I had the unique pleasure of meeting Kensco and my barbecue fanatic buddy for lunch the other day at Hutchins in McKinney. What made it unique was that I, after volunteering, did not have to pay for lunch. I'm sure to his regret, Kensco stepped up to the plate and took it like a man, never whining while we both got the most expensive dish on the menu, "the all you can eat" plate at $20.99. I certainly am grateful to Kensco for buying the lunch, he must have been out in the sun too long that morning.

I have eaten at Hutchins several times over the past few years, and, it has always been remarkably good. Maybe we caught a bad day, but this day, it was unremarkably decent. That said, we had a very enjoyable lunch, talking and eating for a couple of hours. Just for comparison, the absolute worst brisket I've ever had at Pecan Lodge was substantially better than what we had at Hutchin's for lunch.

The brisket, which in the past has been excellent, was, at best, average tasting Q with nothing to make it stand out. Not bad, but not good either. 3.0/5.0

The St. Louis pork ribs were better but a long ways from what I'd call good Q. 3.5/5.0

The star of the "all you can eat" deal was the spicy sausages. Very good, about 2 inches long, with a nice snap when bitten into. Of course, like most Q sausages, they tended to be greasy, but not obverwhelmingly so. 4.5/5.0

I got a side of green beans, which are usually pretty bland, and, often just poured out of a can and warmed up. Here, they were what I'd call Southern Soul Style, with pork and bacon seasoning. Really excellent. 4.75/5.0

Deserts were open trays of either peach cobbler or banana pudding. Both were good, and the banana pudding was remarkably so. Highly recommended.

I hope we caught Hutchins on a bad day, because it has been so good in the past but this day, based on what we had, I'm giving it a 3.25/5.0.

I'll probably go back, but I'd look for alternatives if I was new to Q and hungry in the Plano/Mckinney area. There are many fine restaurants. I'd certainly choose and recommend, for one, Abuelo's (Tex Mex) over Hutchins, which is further down 75 toward Dallas.

Hutchins also serves fried catfish, one of my favorite dishes, so the next time I'm there, I may try it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone eating it there because of the reputation of their Q, but there's always a first time.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Upcoming event in Taylor,Tx. Q cookoff from folks all over the state,live music as well. Pull up stompandholler.com.Might be different spelling as I heard it advertised on the radio.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We took my wife's niece (from Ecuador) to taste the best BBQ in the area; Hutchins in McKinney. There is something wrong here. As usual, we stood in line for about 45 minutes. We placed our order about thirty minutes before closing time.....and here's the rub.....they were out of about half their Sides; no Jalapeno Pinto Beans, no Brisket Pinto Beans, No Green Beans. Most of the corn was juice. How long have they been doing this? Like forty years, and they can't anticipate enough food to give the last hour or so of customers a decent experience. Man, start closing an hour earlier if you can't get it right.

I ordered the sliced brisket and ribs. The brisket was one step up from scraps, and the ribs that are normally outstanding, were 2.0 on a scale of 5.0. I can promise you Gato would have raised a fit if he had been there.

The owners need to get a grip on this.

The next people I take out for BBQ will be eating at Local Yocal. https://localyocalbbqandgrill.com/ Hutchins isn't "automatic" with me anymore. Not after our experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good to see this thread back up.

A follow-up on mt review of Oak Hill BBQ in Sunbury, Ohio. The original pit master, "The Fatman' is gone. The quality of the meat has declined and it is hit or miss. The menu has also expanded, which isn't a problem. But, he has a lot of different kinds of tacos now.

There is another place I have been wanting to try. It has gotten good reviews. But, about a year ago we had two local police officers shot and killed. The owner of that BBQ place posted a comment on FB along the lines of what is big deal about two LEO's being killed?? Just not the kind of business I want to support.

Still on the search for good BBQ in central Ohio.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see this back up as well.Charlie did love his Q.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
We took my wife's niece (from Ecuador) to taste the best BBQ in the area; Hutchins in McKinney. There is something wrong here. As usual, we stood in line for about 45 minutes. We placed our order about thirty minutes before closing time.....and here's the rub.....they were out of about half their Sides; no Jalapeno Pinto Beans, no Brisket Pinto Beans, No Green Beans. Most of the corn was juice. How long have they been doing this? Like forty years, and they can't anticipate enough food to give the last hour or so of customers a decent experience. Man, start closing an hour earlier if you can't get it right.

I ordered the sliced brisket and ribs. The brisket was one step up from scraps, and the ribs that are normally outstanding, were 2.0 on a scale of 5.0. I can promise you Gato would have raised a fit if he had been there.

The owners need to get a grip on this.

The next people I take out for BBQ will be eating at Local Yocal. https://localyocalbbqandgrill.com/ Hutchins isn't "automatic" with me anymore. Not after our experience.

I haven’t been to Hutchin’s nor Local Yocal. I’m rarely McKinney way, but will try LY the next time I’m in court there.

Gato damn sure wouldn’t have put up with it. He did log miles trying BBQ joints.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moonlight BBQ Owensboro, KY

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week I was in Cooper, Texas looking at gun leather at Bullard Leather https://www.bullardleather.com/ They do some excellent work. The holsters shown on their website cost about $125.

Across the highway from Bullard is Fatboy's BBQ. While some of our group liked it, I can't give it more than a 6 out of 10.

The people were friendly enough, but the orders got mixed-up. Some people didn't get what they ordered and some people got their food long after others who had been five people in line behind them. Not sure what the problem was.

I had a two meat plate of ribs and sliced brisket. The ribs were not the best quality meat I've ever seen and the meat fell off the bone; overcooked. The sliced brisket was all "point"; more fat than meat. They would have made great burnt-ends, but were too fat to be served as sliced meat.

The beans were nothing to write home about.

The cobbler which was a combo of cherry and pineapple was quite good, the best thing I put in my mouth from Fatboy's.

The price was reasonable, but if I was to go back through Cooper, I would just keep driving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken if you're down this way in the Central Tx. area, I.E Georgetown, Cedar Park, Leander, Liberty Hill check out "Smokey Moe's". It's worth a try + buy a bottle of their sauce as well. I recommend the HOT. Their meat is excellent. My beans are better IMO, + although I have never tried their dessert, that's not what I came for. As a trip down memory lane + has no purpose here for recommendations; in 1970 I was at Ft. Hood in Killeen. The next town over was Harker Heights. There was an elderly black gentleman named Maurice that made the best BBQ I have ever eaten. He also served the best chitlins I've ever had. Never had them before or since but a bowl of his laced with Tabasco was a gift.