THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Who says Barnes don't leave a blood trail...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says Barnes don't leave a blood trail...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
come on, isn't 1 in a row a trend... Big Grin

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you hit him with red dyed water out of a super shoaker!

Good show. Best eating meat.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you enjoy the cold?

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got your Elk. Congrats!

Great burgers on the grill coming your way...

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It was 6 degrees that morning and -7 the next morning.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is amazing.

I had no idea Dave Ramsey went elk hunting!

Big congrats!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good job, Mike!

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All the blood on the hide is from the exit wound and she laid in the puddle of blood from the exit wound.

The "blood trail" comment is a bit of a joke as she only went about 7 yards. The pics of blood are all within in the same 15 ft circle. There was literally an explosion out the offside from the heart shot.

284 win, 140 gr TTSXs @ 3025

Shot distance 280 yards

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What we have here is the confirmation of a few long standing observations of the collective knowledge of hunting:

1) One does not need a 338 WM and larger to kill elk very dead, very inefficiently as least with a live weight of 360 odd pounds cows and spikes run.
2) An exit wound leaves a lot more blood on the ground than just an entry wound,
3) Heart shots that impact when the heart is full of blood are devastating due to the fluid or liquid being rapidly displaced. The created a massive rupturing wound. This is the filled “Coke Bottle Effect” as termed by Dr. Kevin Robertson.
4) Heart shots are more effective than pure lung shots.

I honestly think if you said, “You can hunt every year in a good area, but nothing else the rest of your life.” I would choose to hunt elk. The adventure, the effort (when it is easy, it is still physical), and the return in meat is too alluring to pass up.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would pick elk as well.

My father claims it to be the world's best deer hunt.

I'd have to agree.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Meat! Nice job Mike.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Well done Mike! I think you guys got sub zero temps before us this year.

BTW, I can’t believe guys still claim that Barnes bullets don’t leave a good blood trail. Here is a picture of Renee running the blood trail of a Caribou we got last spring. If you follow the blood you can see that it continues past the left side of this picture. This seems to be common with all of the animals I take with TSX and TTSX bullets.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I would pick elk as well.

My father claims it to be the world's best deer hunt.

I'd have to agree.

I'll take Moose. Elk is very good though.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I am in the "exit wound" camp rather than the "dump all the energy in the critter" camp, so I like Barnes, which often exit. Mike's cow is typical Barnes performance based on my experience with them in several rifles. I like them and will continue using them.

Now, as to hunting just one animal. Hmm. I like hunting elk and mule deer and even antelope, but if I could hunt one animal locally EVERY year in exchange for the others, it would be oryx hands down. (Assuming I don't get to choose desert bighorn or something sexy.) They are plentiful, wonderful fun to hunt, handsome, and great on the table.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Mike! Between the moose and this elk, I know what you’re eating this winter. I’ll be up there soon, will connect up if you’re around.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a wild boar with my .505 gibbs with barnes 525 grain tsx and he bleed a lot as well as a broken neak and both shoulders. The bullet went through and through.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had no idea Dave Ramsey went elk hunting!

rotflmo That's funny! Nice cow elk Mike! There's some great eating there for sure! Congrats! tu2

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the elk.

I am a big fan of the Barnes bullets. I have never lost an animal hit by a Barnes bullet and most have exited. I have never put much attention on blood trails as most animals have been dead on impact or dropped within a few yards.

Today I carried the first rifle I bought and used to kill my first deer over 47 years ago. It is a Remington 700 BDL in 243. I used Barnes factory ammo with the 80gr TTSX bullet to kill a big, fat doe and a big old 8 pointer this morning. Both ran 50 plus yards through thick mesquite. The blood trail was very evident (shoulder shot on both and bullet exiting).

Safe hunting and Happy Christmas!

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice meat Mike!

I've been up and down on X bullets over the years. I love them for bigger calibers but have mixed emotions about them below .30. I've had some skimpy blood trails with 6mm & 6.5mm even with pass throughs. A few deer have gone further than I prefer with high lung hits and made me work harder than I wanted to recover them. I can't/won't claim bullet failure, because the failing was not the bullet, but for me personally I favor a small amount of frontal frangibility in the lighter calibers.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike!

My observation has been that the TSX or TTSX penetrates like crazy and kills very well but on a straight through lung shot the animals do go a little further and leave a minimal blood trail. I also have observed that the harder you drive them the better they work and a lighter TSX or TTSX works as good or better than a heavier bullet of another brand.

For me the 270 TSX gives great performance in 375 caliber, the 185 and 210 TTSX are just about perfect in the 338 caliber, 165 TSX is a bomb in 308 caliber and I'm anxious to try the 110 TTSX in my new 270.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, good comment about 165s in .308. The 150s have proven very effective in my .300 WSM.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote