New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger African 7x64 B.A.E.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Stopped at the local GS friday and picked up my Ruger African in 7x64 Beltless Accelarated Express.
I noticed the 7x64 B.A.E. has a heavier barrel contour than my African 6.5 Swede.
Shot it some this evening with some different loads.
160 gr. Accubonds with h4831 done 3 shots in 1.70 inchs at 220 yards.
I then shot 3 of the old 150 grain Nosler Solid bases loaded with h4831.
WOW 3 shots at 220 yards measured .471.
Defenitly will try these again.
It does seem to like h4831 over everything else

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I assume your 7x64 B.A.E. is the new 280AI?

What does it weigh with the heavier barrel contour?

Congrats on some great shooting, an accurate rifle, and an accurate load!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Yes 280 ai. I wll weigh it tonight when i get home from work and post it here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
T he Ruger African in 280 ai weighs 9 lb. 8 oz. with leupold 3.5x-10 with sling.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Calling it the 7x64 BAE sounds a little better. But a rifle that's almost 10 pounds when ready to hunt is heavier than I would want in this caliber range. That's just my personal preference.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea a little on the heavy side

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That kind of accuracy is very impressive. I have heard that Ruger is now making their own barrels and the accuracy has really improved. Yes, 9.5 lbs is a little heavy but I could definitely live with that (and do with several rifles).

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ho,

Thanks for the weight info and accuracy results. Good news/Bad news. Over 9 lbs. is a bit heavy for a 28 caliber hunting rifle, but that was with a scope, rings and sling. Did you weigh it before you added all that?

That accuracy at 200m is pretty awesome!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still on the fence about getting one of these.

I don't think my other are as heavy as this one.

I find it interesting that Ruger put a heavier barrel on the 280AI when the 9.3x62 has the same profile as the Rigby and the Swede.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No didnt wiegh it before.
I going to load up some more 150 Noser Solid Bases and try them again soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cjfoster yea i would of thought they would have put the heavy barrel on the 9.3.
The lighter barrel is why i shyed away from the 9.3
The 280ai barrel would be perfect on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither of which needs a heavier barrel IMO..Who came up the BAE?? sales bait????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im changing the name of my Ruger African from the 7x 64 Beltless Accellarated Exspress to the Ruger African 7x64 Badass Accellerared Exspress.
loaded up some 150 nosler b tips with R 22 and took it out to 500 yards.
Fired 4 3shot groups with the following results. Group No1 1.925 No2 3.100 No3 1.340 and No4 4.635.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the 12 shots averaged out to 2.75 inchs. It was a little windy this evening so i took my time and tryed to shoot between the calm spells.
No Ray i named it the 7x64 B.A.E because we all know a 7x64 is twice the gun that any 280 rem or 280 Ackley will ever be. lol Just kidding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am changing the name of the270Winchester to the 7x64 O’Connor.

.277/7.0358mm.

One does not want to be changing the name of the 280 Remington. Look at Remington for example.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Y ou have to put Accelarated Exspress after the Oconner so it will have some pizazz . lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone weighed one of these rifles bare? If I recall correctly, Surefire7’s 9.3x62 Lipsey’s Ruger Africa weighed in at 6lb 13oz. Mine weighs 7lb 10oz, which amounts to over 3/4lb difference. I guess my stock is much denser, which is a very good thing, in my opinion. I supposed one would hope for a lighter than average stock on the lighter caliber Africans. Any word on the 2021 Lipsey’s African caliber offering? My local Lipsey’s dealer swore up and down that the 2020 model would be in 35 Whelen. Maybe 2021 will be the magic number for the Whelen.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll chamber it in 7.62x39 because they have extra barrels laying around. Lots of those are used in Africa.

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Anyone weighed one of these rifles bare? If I recall correctly, Surefire7’s 9.3x62 Lipsey’s Ruger Africa weighed in at 6lb 13oz. Mine weighs 7lb 10oz, which amounts to over 3/4lb difference. I guess my stock is much denser, which is a very good thing, in my opinion. I supposed one would hope for a lighter than average stock on the lighter caliber Africans. Any word on the 2021 Lipsey’s African caliber offering? My local Lipsey’s dealer swore up and down that the 2020 model would be in 35 Whelen. Maybe 2021 will be the magic number for the Whelen.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
280 SE (Super Express)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
Maybe they'll chamber it in 7.62x39 because they have extra barrels laying around. Lots of those are used in Africa.

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

That would be funny! The logic holds, but funny.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote