New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your occupation?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
veterinarian; auburn65

Posts: 50 | Location: Greatfalls,Montana USA | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 years ago, when I started pistol shooting (informal plinking) I was in the Air Force in Civil Engineers. Then after I got out, I was a student (not much time for reloading then, or for shooting, or money either, but I kept my gear and guns). Then I was a singer-songwriter until I started working in Accounting/Bookkeeping/Administration/Computers. Now I have a little more time. But I find myself spending more time on the comptuer than loading or shooting (of course, it is pretty cold to shoot right now, in Anchorage).

Once you have figured out how and chosen your powder, bullets and loads, reloading is pretty easy and doesn't take that long.

Guys who shoot competitively and go through thousands of rounds a month spend a lot more time than I do shooting and reloading. I only do a couple hundred rounds a week at most and 2/3 of those are rimfire.

Lost Sheep

Quite a cross-section of occupations, eh? Are you going to compile the results? Could be an interesting summary, of course, if you have the time.

posted Hide Post
Dairy Farmer all of my working life, nice big farm and I can shoot whenever I want and pee outside

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selfunemployable forestry consultant, RETIRED.
I run a few cows around the paddock every day in the hope that it will delay dementia.
PERHAPS IT'S TOO LATE hilbily

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Editor of a tourist attraction magazine...

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mariner for 20 years, then offshore oil field crane operator, offshore logistic supervisor since 1987.
Will retire this year and become fulltime grandpa, hunter, sailor and vagabond Big Grin

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retired!!! From Kimber. Sr. Design Engineer managing the rifle program and designing the rifles. Consulting for Kimber two days a week doing the same job.

Worked for USRAC (Winchester) 11 1/2 years as Sr. Design Engineer responsible for the M70 rifle line. Before that it was Wildey Firearms for 12 1/2 years.

Lots of fun.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chief Technology Officer in Financial Industry. 39 years old. Two Masters in Math and Physics.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Think I am an only.....retired oil trader

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unemployed forester turned teacher and now 7 years as middle school principal. Started reloading when I was 12 with Lee Loader in 25-06!

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retired from USAF (Space and Missile Warning operations) and from retail sporting goods sales - not much money from that but it supported my hobbies and I met lots of great folks (and a few not so great)

Reloading since mid '70s.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headache:
Retired!!! From Kimber. Sr. Design Engineer managing the rifle program and designing the rifles. Consulting for Kimber two days a week doing the same job.
Headache

So it's your fault some Kimbers don't shoot so good. sofa

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Farmer by day, major wreck collision repair tech on class 8 big rigs by night. You know, the ones laid on their side blocking all 6 lanes of the interstate as seen by the evening news helicopter. PennDot certified inspection mechanic on everything except motorcycles. ASE re-certified painting\refinishing tech.

Been reloading since '71.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been working in heavy industrial maintenance in a cast iron foundry for the last 31yrs. Started out as an apprentice millwright and worked my way up to general foreman. Now I work as a maintenance planner, I still "advise" people what to do, and if they don't, it's not my problem Big Grin

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn you WildBill,
Thought I would be the only veterinarian on the post.
Retired from active practice 2006,

Mich. State Univ. 1972
Reloading since 1959

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Machinist in fireaem industry

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 Year Banker, the Last 10 managing progressively larger Branches of one of the big Canadian Banks(not a bonus baby), reloading for the last 8 years.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anesthesiologist

...and yes I do pass gas

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MattW,

don't forget, all those big titties you get to squeeze twice a day...mooooooooooo!

Rich
Buff Killer

I had a friend ran a dairy for twenty years. He sold out and went to apply for a job. When he filled out the part about where have you worked before he put "professional tit puller, twenty years..." He did NOT get the job.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been a science teacher for 35 years in Oklahoma. I plan on retiring after next year and will have much more time to devote to shooting and reloading.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could turn this into a book but will make it short!
Spent 4 1/2 years in the Navy, shot up a lot of ammo from 22RF up to Tartar and Terrier missiles and much in between [see my avatar]
Hired by one of the majors and spent the next 35 plus years in the aviation industry, held down a lot of different jobs in the process, retired end of Nov, 2001 but never quit, still working forty plus hours per week as a consultant, materials management and supply support being my specialties{?}
I have been loading for a long, long time – started with an old 38 S&W revolver which I no longer have but with an Ideal tool that did it all from casting the bullet to loading her up, still have that one. At last count I could load a total of 41 calibers plus five different gauge shotshells.
And I have had a lot of hobbies, interests and dabblings over the years. I have written and had published some 8 articles, obtained a real estate license, couple of professional licenses, two college degrees and tried to improve my language skills beyond English and French. Manage to hunt ducks and geese ever chance I get plus an annual fishing trip to Alaska for the last twenty odd years. Oh, I like to cook and do the odd woodwork in my spare time.
Some day I intend to retire again and just do exactly what I want to, mostly travel, shoot and fish. And spend more time with my grandkids.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chiropractor who specializes in sports injuries and acupunture

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what I do but it sure takes a lot of time.......raise Texas Longhorn cattle as a hobby which kind of got out of hand, down to about 400 now, take care of ranch, investments, help wife with our 3 great kids (if I do say so myself), hunt, shoot and fish when I can. Don't reload as much as I'd like since buying discount/closeout/sale priced ammo, at least until recently was cheaper than reloading, if I counted my time. But have been reloading for bout 30 years or so.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Part time preacher and part time home inspector.

I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I work as a model for Bowflex commercials.

I pose for the "before" pictures.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maintenance Millwright last 20 years, log truck driver 10 years before. First rifle I ever bought was a remington 700 in 7mm express, been reloading for 35 years. This was a great post I enjoyed reading it! THANKS

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a quitter. I quit my last job in 02. Was a production machinist for about 12 years then became a maintenance machinist in a mill roll manufacture for 14 years till they did a union bust. Loafed for a while trying to get another job and finally ended up in a tv tube plant as a screen room operator till the decided to move to mexico was not old enough or had enough years in to retire so I quit. I started reloading when I got my first center fire in 1972 then stopped from the time the first plant closed and I quit the other. Been loading shooting and hunting when I can since.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Dairy Farmer all of my working life, nice big farm and I can shoot whenever I want and pee outside

Me, too. Pee outside, that is.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
I am a Certified Public Accountant that does not practice public accounting.

I teach accountants in Non Profit organizations how to use fund accounting software.

If you can't pee outside you are not free. Big Grin

Thanks for the post MattW

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retired pilot. flew light aircraft for many years, retired off the 747. Been shooting since age 8. Now 66, still hunt, reload a couple of rifle and three pistol calibers. Going back to Tanzania this year. Worked contracts flying cargo worldwide for Southern Air Transport last twelve years of my career, 39 years a pilot since age 16.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Registered intensive care nurse, another 10-12 years and i can shoot and reload,and hunt full time
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
Spent 4 1/2 years in the Navy, shot up a lot of ammo from 22RF up to Tartar and Terrier missiles and much in between [see my avatar]

My patch looked the same but had wings on it. Aviation Fire Control Technician (Bomb Director). Funny, as the jet I worked on was unarmed!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:

My patch looked the same but had wings on it. Aviation Fire Control Technician (Bomb Director). Funny, as the jet I worked on was unarmed!

Was that not an AQ away back when???

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, AQB as opposed to AQF. I think both have gone by the wayside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT Manager in the hated oil industry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
33 years with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Retired in 2002 at the commander level, two slots down from the chief. Left because I could no longer protect my people from the onslaught of California liberalism and the careerists in my own organization. Probably would have been chief had I stayed, spending the rest of my days as a punching bag for the politicians.

Best part of my career was the decade spent in the tactical unit, and as the commander of the swat team. Also spent years traveling back and forth to Washington working with the Secret Service and FBI. Met every POTUS since Reagan, Pope John, and a host of other heads of state.

Beyond the politics, it was a great ride.

Consult for US Departments of Justice and State on domestic law enforcement issues; expert witness in public safety civil litigation.

Began reloading as a kid in the late 50's with my dad and uncles, all of whom were WWII vets. My job was to process the brass, sort the bullets and work the lead furnace. Oh, yea. And to clean all the guns. Some of my fondest memories are of listening to the men sharing their war experiences and their struggles to make a life after coming home.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]Another day at the office[/URL]

I have tried a few different vocations. I was a Big Time DJ for a few years(in my mind anyway). I sold various odds and ends. But for the thrill of the moment and a good old fashion RUSH, I always came back to trees.

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
attorney by education and license but currently non-practicing. now 7 1/2 years in the financial services industry and about to take the Certified Financial Planner exam. bigtime yuck...

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retired - 20
Maintenance worker/Repair - 6
Agriculture/Farmer - 5
Machine Shop/Machinist - 5
Medical (Doctor/Nurse/Chiro) - 5
Engineering/Design - 5
IT - 4
Contractor (Carpentry/Gen./Elec) - 4
Law Enforcement - 3
Veterinarian - 3
Educator - 3
Military - 3
Fire/Paramedic - 2
Sales - 2
Student - 2
HVAC - 2
Truck Driver - 2
Pilot - 2
Human Resources - 2
Attorney - 2
Certified Public Accountant - 2
Tree Trimmer - 2
Mechanic - 1
Forester - 1
Realtor - 1
Sawmill - 1
Fishing Tackle - 1
Geophysicist - 1
Security - 1
Restaurant - 1
Railroad - 1
Editor - 1
Offshore Oil - 1
Banker - 1
Consultant - 1
Preacher - 1

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chemical operator for a large "science" company. Operate chemical reactors.
Reloading for 30 years or so, mostly in the last 9 yrs.
Main hobby now is waiting for the economy to turn around....

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote