Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Deep Curl ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
Paper in the box of bullets said to consult their site for reloading data.
I did and none to be found with the Deep Curl bullets.
Any advice welcome.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no expert here but i'd just use same data for a non curl bullet of same weight and configuration ie hollow point.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have read about them but never used any. "They, including Speer" say that they produce high pressures and you should start with starting loads. I don't know why, but they quit making them.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, great . I will definitely coat them in HBN .
Thanks !!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
deep curl and federal fusion is suppose to be the same bullet.
I would look at Nosler accubond load data and start at minnimun check for pressure issues stick bolt loose primer pockets. work up use caution.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like they are sticky like the original X bullets were.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had some in .243 and as I recall, they had an electroplated jacket, I wonder why that would cause a pressure issue?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do have a long bearing surface. And these 225 gr 338 bullets that I have , have a cup base that looks like it would seal the bore up tighter than a drum.
I'll tumble these in HBN like I do all my bullets . nowadays.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet/cartridge are you seeking information for? I have some of the data sheets saved. With another cartridge, SPEER was able to send me the required information.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 Winchester mag. The 225 gr .
I got an ok deal on the bullets @ less than 50 cents each. .
I understand they mushroom out quite a bit. But seem to retain a lot of weight. Hope to try them on black bear this spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two boxes of .338 / 225 grs ment for my 338-06 A-Square, but like CTF I have not been able to find any loading data.

Ment to use them for moose, but am in doubt how they perform on heavy game?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
338 Winchester mag. The 225 gr .
I got an ok deal on the bullets @ 50 cents each. .
I understand they mushroom out quite a bit. But seem to retain a lot of weight. Hope to try them on black bear this spring.

I don't have-any data for the .338,

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for looking. I appreciate you looking !!
As I have a good amount or Rl17 and H4350 . Those are the 2 powders I will start with.
I also have 225 gr Partitions and plan to try the 225 gr TTSX BT . As this is a fairly light weight rifle. I probably won't be doing a lot of Long Range target shooting with it. But, I do think I will play around a little with the Hornady 250 gr HPBT target bullet. It's affordable, and has a G1 of more than .6 !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
I have two boxes of .338 / 225 grs ment for my 338-06 A-Square, but like CTF I have not been able to find any loading data.

Ment to use them for moose, but am in doubt how they perform on heavy game?

I tumbled these in HBN yesterday. I'm going to start with book starting loads and work up slowly. If I get to 2780 fps without high pressure signs , I'll stop there. That's a historic velocity for the 338 Win 225 gr bullets . And I have shot lots of that weight and vel in other 338s I've had.
I will penetration test them in wood and report back. I know people aren't impressed with wood testing. I've been doing it long enough and have enough control loads of known penetration that a good amount of knowledge can be gained. At least I'll find out if they will turn themselves into a big flat washer and stop penetrating.
The 338/06 is quite popular here. Some guys get some very fast velocities from the 225 gr bullets. I've never had a 338/06 yet so have never been able to verify their claims.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds good.
Looking forward to your report then.

I changed from a Ruger MK77 338 WM to a Kimber 8400 338-06 after an old shoulder injury startet to give me problems.
The 338-06 is so much milder in recoil that I can use it without any problems or flinching.
It has become my "go to" moose rifle Smiler

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
uhmm --- deep curl is a rename of "gold dot" if that helps --

i have shot the snot out of them in .475, in a RIFLE, at 2400+ and have yet to recover one, regardless of distance or angle

IIRC, these are thickly PLATED, not bonded .. but it's 0500 and i am tired

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weight did you shoot at 2400 fps ?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 400 gr ones .. just checked my data, well, lets say over 2400, by a good bit .. some of the top loads over 2500 -- iirc, 2465ish at the muzzle

https://www.speer-ammo.com/en/.../475/475-400-gr-gdsp

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you shoot them out of the 470 AR?
I used to shoot them out of my 480 Ruger SRHs.
They were a bit sticky jacketed in the barrel . That was before I started moly tumbling all my bullets. Now I tumble in Hexagonal Boron Nitride which works even better than moly.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, out of the 470 AccRel -- many piggies

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for some .357 Gold Dot Soft Point/Deep Curl 180 gr bullets for several years with no luck, hope they didn't stop making them too. They are the best shooting bullets in my 94 Marlin in 357 x 44 B&D.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of velocity do you get ? What was the rifle originally?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Assuming this was to me -- ruger 77mkii 300 winmag - rebarreled to 470, little feed work .. vels are available on the links in my signature, but i broke 2500 with 400gr bullets .. and quit with that one, went on to 500gr bullets, and got over 2400 easy

click on the ammo guide link, you can read some on it

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
quote:

If this was to me I don't have any of my notes handy on the 170 gr GDSP bullets in my 357 x 44 B&D Marlin but I do recall the 125 gr JHP's in it was cooking out at a little over 2300 fps. I'm sure if it ever hit a critter it would probably blow up.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer Deep Curls are HANDGUN bullets...I shoot them in my 450 Bushmaster, 44 Mag and 500 S&W Mag along with Gold Dots...LOTS of info on the Speer site along with reloading info for some guns...Check it out...it's straight from the horses mouth and NOT the jockey or bettors. Big Grin

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Speer Deep Curls are HANDGUN bullets...I shoot them in my 450 Bushmaster, 44 Mag and 500 S&W Mag along with Gold Dots...LOTS of info on the Speer site along with reloading info for some guns...Check it out...it's straight from the horses mouth and NOT the jockey or bettors. Big Grin

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Not all Deep Curls are HANDGUN bullets
I have hundreds of Speer Deep Curls in .243", 90 grain, they also made a Deep Shock in .243" and 90 grain that appears to be the same bullet (I have about 400 of those as well).

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya sorry about the confusion. I should have worded it better. Jeffe; I've studied the 470 AR a good bit. If I was still on the coast I would probably have built one. I'm surprised the 400 gr Gold Dot/ Deep Curl would hold up to that speed. If I had known that 10 years ago I would have built one.

My question was about the B+D. Sounds like it would make a good deer rifle.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Yeah, i know .. and i know the basis for the emphasis -- and yet, when i called speer, and talked to a tech, and told them what i was planning on doing with the 458 and 470 accrel, the reply was "they will hold up better than the 405 .458" .. and it proved true -- and yes, the bushmaster vs socom --- for hunting rifle speeds, the bushmaster inherently has inferior bullet choices

#dumptrump

476AR,

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Speer says “they will expand reliably EVERYTIME”

I call bullshit! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Cold Trigger Finger

The 357x44 B&D does make a dandy good Deer rifle. It will take care of most of them out to 150 yds or better depending on sights/ability/shooter etc. etc. I wonder what those 125 gr jhp's would do to a Coy dog?
My only problem is I can't locate any of the .357 diameter 170 gr Deep Curl bullets (formerly Gold Dot Soft Points) anywhere.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Speer does have a few "rifle" Deep Curl bullets available and for the most part exceptions can pretty much always be found anytime a general statement is made...

What I have trouble with is people wax eloquent about all the critters they've killed with 40-50 cal PISTOLS and seem to have no problem finding adequate bullets to do the job...but mention the 450 BM or ANY rifle using a "pistol case" and all of a sudden the bullets are "inferior"...I would say bullet choices are a bit LIMITED...MAYBE...but only in the sense of individual prejudice...you can make the same argument for just about all weapons DEPENDING on your requirements. ALL the bullets I've shot out of my 450 BM have done their job...AGAIN...depending on YOUR interpretation of what is perfect and what isn't...I've never seen a "PERFECT" bullet, just many that did their jobs....MOST of the time very well.

As an aside...the 0.430" 270 gr Deep Curl and Gold Dot AND several Hornady and Sierra bullet, plus cast lead, shoot very well in my 444 Marlin AND MY 44 maggy Super Blackhawk.

The total conditions surrounding a shot usually dictate just what happens to a bullet when it hits an animal. Speer along with ALL other bullet makers are run by the "bottom liners" and NONE of then know how to tell the truth no matter WHAT that is.

Sometimes I just don't understand where our minds go when "discussing" weapons and bullets...must I mention again that I think I've killed more deer with a 22 LR that with all my other shooters combined...and NO, I don't do that anymore...I'm not feeding a family and the deer(and Elk) around my place are "pets"....you DON'T need a "GodawfulMagnum" to kill an Elk or a Moose or...just be able to put the bullet where it belongs.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday looking for bullets and powder...the shelves were looking a bit bare and I asked the salesman "WTF"...his answer was our shipment hasn't arrived yet and certain bullet makers are updating their boxes...but he also gave me that rolling eyes look so something else was going on...bullet selection around here has ALWAYS been spotty...with ALL brands and bullet types...I feel very lucky to have a S.W. closer than 125 Miles one way...AWAY.

My 26" 338-06 does 2750 fs with Horn 225 SP, Whelen or 9.3x62 cases and 4320 and ~100 fs more seated out to 3.60" and CFE223 or RL17...MAX for this long throated rifle...accuracy is 5 in one smallish hole all touching....BUT ONLY with the Horn 225 SP...it shoots most everything else about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
450bushmaster < 458 socom - it's not even remotely a question ... greater bullet choice, across the board ..
horse sofa

not entirely just pulling your chain

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nonagonagain; that is some seriously whoopin velocity out of an 06 case. Granted, you have a long barrel on it. But, if its not too fat a pipe then the rifle could be nice and lively to pack and hunt with.
I was wondering if I'de kicked a hornets nest starting this thread. I got this box of bullets because a guy here had a box of these and a box of 225 gr Partitions he would sell me. And he only wanted $20.00 for this box of 50. I can't figure out why they put a cup base on them. First time in my life I ever saw something like that on 338 bullets.
I have a few more shots with factory ammo to shoot for breaking in the barrel. Then I'll clean it real good . Then pre coat the bore with HBN . Then start with a starting load.
Never had a Kimber before. So I'm going to have to shoot it lots to get used to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'de bet the 125s@ 2300 fps would put the smackdown on a coydog !

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a Gentleman from Speer today and he stated that the Deep Curl (pistol bullets) are more or less 'seasonal' and that toward the end of Summer they will bring a new program online that will let us (the public) buy directly from Speer if we want to.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be good. Speer does some kinda different things. Like their 270 gr 9.3 bullet and the 275 gr 338 bullet. Both of which could use some core bonding and a tougher jacket. And the 285 gr Grand Slam 375 bullet. ????
And these cup base 338 bullets.
Who thinks these things up anyway ?

Perhaps it's an Idaho thing. ???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wheres Ray ?? He's from Idaho . Maybe he knows??

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The now "retired" from production 275 Speer 338 semi spitzer was without a doubt, the best cup and core bullet for heavy game, such as Elk, that I have ever used. In the 338 Win mag, it certainly did not need anything added to it to increase it's killing power. Simply superb. Now the 270 grain 9.3, another story entirely. I am thinking that extra cross section was the bridge too far. Anyway, a buddy took that one to Africa on Plains game and was not pleased with the lack of penetration. The 275 .338 bullet had no such problems. Smiler
Happy Shooting!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 160gr Deep Curl out of my 7mag using the same load as I use for other 160gr bullets without any issues.I've also done the same with 165gr and 180gr in my 300 Win Mag.Speer recommend reducing you load with them because they can cause pressure problems.They used to have a link on their website for Deep Curl loads.The big factor is,how maxed out are your loads to start with.If your loads are not absolute max,you probably won't have any issues.So the best thing to do,like any load,start low,work up and watch for pressure signs.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baldhunter:
I've shot 160gr Deep Curl out of my 7mag using the same load as I use for other 160gr bullets without any issues.I've also done the same with 165gr and 180gr in my 300 Win Mag.Speer recommend reducing your load with them because they can cause pressure problems.They used to have a link on their website for Deep Curl loads.The big factor is,how maxed out are your loads to start with.If your loads are not absolute max,you probably won't have any issues.So the best thing to do,like any load,start low,work up and watch for pressure signs.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote