THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Help needed please - Scott van Zyl SS Pro Safaris
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed please - Scott van Zyl SS Pro Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted
Folks,

Fellow Outfitter Scott van Zyl went missing yesterday while hunting out of Chikwaraka Camp in Zimbabwe. Details are sketchy at this point. All we know is that they have been searching for him since last night.

A helicopter was called in from Harare to aid in the search. This runs at $850/h. We envisage minimum 7 hours' flying time.

The Limpopo Hunters Liaison Forum (LHLF) is pulling members together and asking for donations to fund the chopper search. I've already donated as have many others and so far we've bought roughly 4 hours' flying time.

If you can find it in your hearts and pocket books, I beg you to assist by means of a small donation towards this cause. Scott has a wife and small children. We have to do everything we can to help him out.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does one donate?

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
How does one donate?

Larry, all funds thus far collected were paid into the RSA account of the Limpopo Hunters Liaison Forum. At last count we had already collected more than R225K ($17K).

We will figure out a way to get any funds collected through AR to them at a later stage. What we need for now are only pledges. No money needs to be sent just yet.

Those who wish to contribute can state so here or via pvt messaging / email to me. I will pass details on to the LHLF.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
https://www.gofundme.com/search-rescue-scott-van-zyl

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris I posted this over on AH. Scott has been posting over there occasionally. Thanks for letting us know the situation. Was he hunting with a client? If so is client also missing? Thanks Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gillettehunter:
Chris I posted this over on AH. Scott has been posting over there occasionally. Thanks for letting us know the situation. Was he hunting with a client? If so is client also missing? Thanks Bruce

Thank you Bruce. It is only Scott that is missing. I do not have all the details but will inform when I have more news.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, Scott was at our home about a month ago in Georgia. Please keep us updated We made a donation on gofundme. We are praying for his safe return. Scott and Sure are good friends

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.africahunting.com/...g.37136/#post-347726

some more info on this and update from gofundme link

Helicopters and search teams are working on the freshest track, they have found his backpack on the Limpopo river and are continuing on the track. HPG, Ripcord and other organizations is now joining in on the search. We have also received assistance from the SANDF and there are more than one helicopter's searching; one in Zim and a others on the South African side. Thanks for all the contributions, each and every donation is keeping the choppers in the air !

Then this update

UPDATE #3: Darkness caught up with the search and rescue team. It's 7:09PM over here in Africa. Currently there is patrols from the SANDF (South African National Defence Force) on the border, there's also a tracking team who will keep tracking as long as they can from here onward. Helicopters will resume search and rescue at first light tomorrow morning. I will post an update again as soon as i receive new information! THANK YOU to each and everyone who made a contribution up till now, you are keeping our teams on the ground and in the air. Please keep sharing and contributing. Thank you!

Hopefully all ends well

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chris, hope your friend is found safe -- and soon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16373 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC Frontline was notified about this at around 9:00 this morning and a request was made for an emergency grant to fund helicopter time to aid in the search, we were able to accommodate their request. DSC Frontline will also accept designated donations to assist in this effort on our website, there is a space provided for that purpose. Like everyone else, we are hoping for a good outcome. Feel free to PM me if you have questions regarding this.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2746 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any theories as to what happened to this fellow? Having been in that area...it would be a hard place to get lost in...fairly populated. And finding his backpack along the Limpopo does not sound like he ran into a rogue ele or got bitten by a snake.

Sounds rather unusual to me.

Prayers for finding him safely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where exactly on the Limpopo is the named camp? South Africa and Zimbabwe share a relatively short border

I am hoping I am wrong but this doesn't sound good at all. Back pack and Camelpack found on the banks of the river but no trace of the hunter...

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
keep up the prayers...from go fund me: UPDATE #6: Good evening everyone, my apologies for not giving updates today. Most of the search parties are in extremely challenging terrain with little to no mobile/cellphone coverage therefore updates did not come in during the day. The search party is confident they've locked down a search area but daylight caught up with them again. A large part of the day was spent to get the Zimbabwean Police and departments involved and up to date with the progress made yesterday and they have been assisting in the search with extra resources. There will still be searches continuing tonight but the largest part of the search party will stand down till first light tomorrow morning.

We want to thank each and everyone again for their contributions, prayers and messages of hope to the family and friends.

We would like to urge everybody to stay away from any unconfirmed speculations or rumours as there has been many opinions and inaccurate information shared during the day which only upsets the family and i consider to be unfair to them in this trying time. There is also many media interest about the search and rescue, i would also urge anyone who are approached by the media to refer them into the official LHLF channels of which Mr. Gerhard Vos is the co-ordinator of this effort.

Thank you again to all the organisations including several SCI chapters and other hunting organizations like the LHLF , ZPHGA (Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association), Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, South African Police Service, HPG & all the other organizations involved as mentioned in previous updates.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've known Scott and Sure' for about 14 years and I've traveled many places and liked those places. It it's great people that make you love those places. I love Africa and Scott and Sure' made that happen as they are truly great people and great friends

They really need our prayers right now.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am hoping I am wrong but this doesn't sound good at all. Back pack and Camelpack found on the banks of the river but no trace of the hunter...

By any chance would this river be infested with crocs?

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
quote:

By any chance would this river be infested with crocs?

A bit of speculation, just thoughts and nothing more!

He is an experienced PH -fact. Was he hunting with a client? If so, there would/should have been an experienced tracker in the party? His backpack was found on the banks of the Limpopo - given as a fact in a posting here. Now I wonder: Was the search conducted mainly by tracking him? If he was hunting in a good hunting area there would be many, or at least some, experienced and good trackers living in the area? If the backpack was found by tracking him, then presumably the search continued by tracking him also after his backpack was found? If so, we need not worry that the Limpopo does indeed have crocodiles. If, please Lord let it not be so, no tracks were found leading away from where his backpack was found, we do have a real serious situation. I wish him well and all the best luck for the actual searchers to find him soon!

One question that I'm sure many will want to know about: Does he have a rifle with him?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are anti-poaching K9s on both sides of the border. Are they not being used?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been reported he was conducting a Leopard over dog hunt; that one of the dogs had wandered off and that he had gone to search for the hound.
I find it strange that he would have gone off on his own without at least a tracker.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard over hounds in Zim.? is that legal??

I hope he is found and all ends well.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An anti has seen fit to post a comment on the Go Fund Me site raising money for the search. I could not help myself. I responded.

I hate to say it but I suspect the worst. I agreed to make a contribution for the search. I will double it and give it to the DSC Frontline Foundation for the family left behind if that is the case.

Very sad.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfr...in-zimbabwe-20170410

SA hunter missing without trace in Zimbabwe

2017-04-10 11:06

Marietie Louw-Carstens and Hanti Otto, Netwerk24

Polokwane - There is still no sign of a professional hunter from Marken, Limpopo, who has disappeared without a trace in Zimbabwe.

Scott van Zyl, 44, has been missing since Friday, Netwerk24 reported.

The owner of SS Pro Safaris had been on a hunting expedition with a tracker and his two dogs, using Chikwaraka camp in Zimbabwe as a base.

An extensive land and air search for him was launched on Friday. Gerhard Vos, a friend involved in the search, said on Sunday afternoon that there was still no sign of Van Zyl.

"We have found absolutely nothing."

Private helicopters and crime fighting organisations - such as Heritage Protection Group, the SA Professional Hunters’ Association, and Limpopo’s search and rescue teams - continued their search on Sunday.

SANDF troops patrolling the border with Zimbabwe were also helping.

The different organisations, meanwhile, were trying to raise money to pay for the private helicopters taking part in the search. Vos said about R500 000 was needed because fuel for choppers was expensive.

According to information from people searching on foot, it seemed as if Van Zyl and his tracker left their bakkie behind and went into the veld on foot on Friday. Van Zyl’s gun and personal items were in the bakkie. Both men apparently went in separate directions.

Van Zyl’s dogs returned to the camp later in the day, but there was no sign of him. The unnamed tracker raised the alarm, informing authorities that Van Zyl was missing.

Helicopter search teams spotted Van Zyl's backpack on the banks of the Limpopo River in Zimbabwe.

"His tracks ended right there," one of the searchers said.

Van Zyl's 41-year-old wife, Suré, is traumatised and is being supported by friends.

"She’s a wreck, because there has been no news about Scott,” said a family friend who preferred to remain anonymous.

They have two children, aged 11 and 7.

On his website, there are several pictures of Van Zyl and other hunters and his hunting dogs.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Leopard over hounds in Zim.? is that legal??

I hope he is found and all ends well.

cheerse

Nick

Yes. It is legal in some areas and is quite common.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Any updates on this?

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
Any updates on this?

No new news unfortunately.

A diving team has been called in to do assist with the search. Meanwhile there are still boots on the ground and choppers in the air thanks to the good folks who have contributed. Thank you very much for the incredible response in this regard!

My heart goes out to to his family. Wish there was more we could do!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They found his backpack on the Limpopo river, the shore I would presume. Surely he did not get too close to or in the water.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what would their ( the PH and tracker) plan have been. They leave camp without the client, and go look for a leopard without his rifle and personal items, and then split up. What would then happen if any one of them found the leopard? Do the dogs chase it up a tree and keep it there till they can go back to camp and fetch the client? Or do they radio/ phone back to camp and give their gps location so another PH can bring the client?
Or were they "scouting" - trying to see what leopard is in the area? In that case, will the dogs and ph/tracker not disturb and chase the leopard out of the area? Could the experienced ph's and hunters give more clarity on their tactics on that day?
I hope they find him soon.

Posts: 50 | Location: Sask Canada | Registered: 13 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened was the dogs had come through a block. When they caught the dogs, one was missing. Scott decided to walk the block to look for the dog. He was to be picked up on the other side of the block. This is not an uncommon practice.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happened was the dogs had come through a block. When they caught the dogs, one was missing. Scott decided to walk the block to look for the dog. He was to be picked up on the other side of the block. This is not an uncommon practice.

In which case the obvious question is was the spot where the backpack was found at the far end of the block where he would have been walking to or where he was walking from?

Either way, let's wish for a happy conclusion to this awful event.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Is there any poaching activities in that area??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
From the article posted above.........

"Van Zyl’s gun and personal items were in the bakkie. Both men apparently went in separate directions. Van Zyl’s dogs returned to the camp later in the day, but there was no sign of him. The unnamed tracker raised the alarm, informing authorities that Van Zyl was missing. Helicopter search teams spotted Van Zyl's backpack on the banks of the Limpopo River in Zimbabwe. "His tracks ended right there," one of the searchers said."

That statement does not really hold much hope for a positive outcome. Very sad.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

"Van Zyl’s gun and personal items were in the bakkie. Both men apparently went in separate directions. Van Zyl’s dogs returned to the camp later in the day, but there was no sign of him. The unnamed tracker raised the alarm, informing authorities that Van Zyl was missing. Helicopter search teams spotted Van Zyl's backpack on the banks of the Limpopo River in Zimbabwe. "His tracks ended right there," one of the searchers said."

Such a bizarre statement from whoever originally made it......... Logic dictates that there must be more to the story.

Either his tracks could be followed to the river itself & if they disappeared at that point, its pretty obvious what happened or tracks elsewhere would tell the story of 2 or 4 legged predators & their role in what happened & equally, even if 2 legged predators had been involved and had they used anti tracking methods, some of the tracking staff would have found something eventually.

As has been said, it doesn't hold out much hope for a positive outcome which is dreadfully sad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has the missing dog show up or been found?

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FROM THE HUNTING REPORT:

By now, many subscribers will have heard reports that South African PH Scott Van Zyl of SS Pro Safaris Africa went missing in Zimbabwe on April 7. The Hunting Report has confirmed his disappearance with several sources in Zimbabwe and South Africa.

A houndsman, Van Zyl was accompanying a registered Zim PH and a client on a safari and running the dogs. Van Zyl went out by himself on the morning of April 7 looking for leopard tracks with his dogs. Apparently, one hound went missing and Van Zyl returned to the bush to look. He has not been seen since. The dogs returned without him, and his vehicle was found over 8 km from camp.

Search and rescue operations are ongoing on land, air and water near the border of South Africa. Searchers include authorities from police, military, Zim Parks, the hunters associations, as well as guides, friends and concerned citizens of both Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Both Limpopo Hunters Liaison Forum (LHLF) and A Go Fund Me page have raised funds for helicopter fees and other costs associated with the search. We will update readers when we have more information.

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/salom...s/10156682307633644/

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
www.ct-safaris.com

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Keeping Scott and his family in my prayers.

Its amazing to see at what lenghts the guys are going to find him.

Keep up the good work.

VASBYT!

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

I'm very much afraid that, if the highlighted statement is true and accurate, I, like JCS271, do not have high hopes for a good ending to this most unfortunate chain of events.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE #15: Evening everyone, herewith the latest update from the SAR team. The search has continued today focussing mostly on the river again. Here is a message received directly from the SAR co-ordinator: "Possible human remains found in crocodiles shot today by the Zimbabwe police. Samples have been sent to the lab to confirm, will send more details when we have the results."

I would like to emphasise the word "possible" as it was sent to confirm the DNA and only once the DNA is confirmed, will they know the details.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPDATE #15: Evening everyone, herewith the latest update from the SAR team. The search has continued today focussing mostly on the river again. Here is a message received directly from the SAR co-ordinator: "Possible human remains found in crocodiles shot today by the Zimbabwe police. Samples have been sent to the lab to confirm, will send more details when we have the results."

I would like to emphasise the word "possible" as it was sent to confirm the DNA and only once the DNA is confirmed, will they know the details.

Got the same message here too.

No one knows yet who was eaten by the crocs.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all due respect it's highly unlikely that it was the Zim police that shot any crocodiles. More likely shot in their presence under their direction by a Zim PH!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote