THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Help needed please - Scott van Zyl SS Pro Safaris
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed please - Scott van Zyl SS Pro Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news, mt condolences.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39658126

Zimbabwe DNA tests 'prove hunter was killed by a crocodile'

50 minutes ago

From the section Africa

DNA tests on the carcass of a crocodile shot in Zimbabwe have confirmed that it contains the remains of a missing South African hunter, an investigator has told the BBC.
Scott Van Zyl was killed last week on the banks of the Limpopo river, said Sakkie Louwrens, director of a South-African crime-fighting NGO.
He said Mr Van Zyl disappeared during a hunting safari last week.
His death is the latest in a series of fatal crocodile attacks in Zimbabwe.
Mr Louwrens told the BBC that Mr Van Zyl had gone on a hunting trip on the Zimbabwe-South Africa border with a local tracker and a pack of dogs.

He said the pair left their vehicle and went in different directions in search of crocodiles.
A search and rescue operation was launched after Mr Van Zyl's dogs returned to their camp without him.
The hunter's footprints were traced to river bank alongside his discarded rucksack. He was married, had two children and took foreign clients on hunting trips.
Mr Louwrens said staff from the Heritage Protection Group - an organisation which he heads and helps police fight crime in South Africa - informally helped the Zimbabwean authorities conduct the search.
"Permission was given for three Nile crocodiles in the area to be shot, and one of them contained Mr Van Zyl's remains," he said. "Subsequent DNA tests have proved the remains to be those of Mr Van Zyl."
At least four fatal attacks by crocodiles have been reported in Zimbabwe this year.
One conservation group meanwhile has condemned the circumstances of his "senseless" death.
"[He] shouldn't have been hunting in the first place. Animals in the wild… are wild! They are living, thinking beings with instincts for survival," a statement by One Green Planet said.

Nile crocodiles

The Nile crocodile is on of Africa's most feared predators
Predators of Africa's rivers and lakes, they lurk almost totally submerged in the water as they lie in wait for passing prey which is then dragged into the water and drowned
Renowned for their long powerful jaws, few creatures escape from their clutches - not even large buffalo and wildebeest
Their large bodies and long tails hide quick reflexes and fast bursts of speed
They are extremely attentive and protective parents, with a surprisingly delicate touch - their nests and young hatchlings are highly vulnerable to predators

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: the most common problem when entering an amount is caused by entering a dollar sign or a comma. Please try again if that might pertain to your attempt and if that doesn't work, please let me know. The company that handles these credit card transactions has been notified and is looking into this also.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2766 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got it handled Karl. Thanks!

Posts: 11986 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for his wife and children, nothing we can do will bring him back. The only thing I can say that makes me feel better is he went out doing what he loved. How many hunters want to be killed in a car wreck? How many of us will go out in a hospital. Hats off to you scott, you were a man!

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
Rest easy my friend you were one of the good guys, you loved your family so much and most pictures you posted were of your family and children that always spoke loudly to me. Prayers and strength to them, I hope to see you again someday.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our condolences go out to his family, an utter tragedy.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
RIP Big Guy and our condolences to your family.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bad news indeed, my condolences to his family and friends.

Another horribly biased BBC article:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man...eaten-000029146.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Today a story about this tragic event came up on Yahoo's news page, titled "Man who made his living killing African wildlife gets eaten by African wildlife." Source was something called BRG News.

I read as many responses as I could stomach; all were variations on "he got what he deserved," "karma," "best thing I read today," and so on. Truly disgusting.

Of course, Yahoo is notoriously liberal and anti-hunting. Nevertheless, sadistic comments like those following the obviously biased story give a clear picture of the thinking our opponents possess. There are people who seriously applaud Van Zyl's death; this reaches far beyond mere disapproval of hunting.

It is a sad state of affairs when we as a people have gone from enjoying televised programs featuring big game hunting that were popular when I was a boy, to the kind of vitriolic hate offered today toward hunting and its participants.

Worse, this attitude is accepted or at least not challenged by a good part of the population.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP and my sincerest condolences to his family.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Where do these idiots think the meat in their pizza and hamburgers comes from??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Just idiots ,and besides that armchair antis that are jealous because they can do the things real men do .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Where do these idiots think the meat in their pizza and hamburgers comes from??

Most of them really have no clue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36639 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had some idiots protest in a grocery store locally because they thought cows were killed getting milk.

Posts: 11986 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I have been replying to many on the Yahoo page. Likely in vain. I have asked them if they would say those things personally to his widow and two young children. Or if they would say the same to a meat packer or McDonald's worker who was killed on the job

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 235 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
DSC Frontline was notified about this at around 9:00 this morning and a request was made for an emergency grant to fund helicopter time to aid in the search, we were able to accommodate their request. DSC Frontline will also accept designated donations to assist in this effort on our website, there is a space provided for that purpose. Like everyone else, we are hoping for a good outcome. Feel free to PM me if you have questions regarding this.

Back to the top. I have no words sufficient to provide comfort to those that this loss is real and painful.

Posts: 10931 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
RIP Scott

I would have liked to have known you.

May God bless and watch over your family.

I second that. Very sad.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff SN:
I am so sorry for his wife and children, nothing we can do will bring him back. The only thing I can say that makes me feel better is he went out doing what he loved. How many hunters want to be killed in a car wreck? How many of us will go out in a hospital. Hats off to you scott, you were a man!

I don't know that being snatched in a crocodiles jaws and ripped to bits or drowned in the process of being eaten is the way any of us would want to go. I would be most pissed off that I didn't have my rifle to hand to defend myself from such an attack.

Going out from a fatal heart attack or brain stroke while out hunting, I could accept as preferable to wasting away in a hospital, old folks home or a fatal car accident.

If only the clock could be turned back and another judgment made.

Nonetheless a very sad and tragic ending for a passionate family man and PH.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family. He died in the bush doing what he loved, I hope once the pain passes they only remember the best times.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I can not believe the majority of the comments on the yahoo page. It was not this bad three years ago. I hope that his kids are not reading all of the post. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Many news outlets, although they'll always slant stories for their liberal/Disney agenda, are eliminating comments sections. They're just playgrounds for burgeoning psychopaths.

Anonymous cowards calling hunters cowards. 'Can't get much more ironic than that.

RIP sir.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote