Find
Notify
Tools

. . . sad . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
While I understand the reasons for doing it, it still makes me sad to open a hunt report and see that we have gotten to the point of expunging the hunter's name and obscuring his/her face. The practice appears to be becoming commonplace. Sort of feels like we are buying into the notion that hunters are criminals or folks that are ashamed of hunting. I can understand not inundating social media with hunting photos, videos and the like but what is next, are we going to blur out faces in hunting magazines, blur the faces and electronically alter the voices on hunting shows and DVDs, do hunting interviews with the speaker in shadow wearing sunglasses and a wig . . .

I guess when it gets to the point that I feel that I need to blur my face from a hunting picture or become Hunter X in a hunt report, I will just stop posting hunting reports.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with Mike. It is very sad to see that kind of paranoia.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I hunt, because I like it.
I will post my hunt reports, and to hell to those who are against hunting.

I have no time for those with worthless lives that they spend all thier time complaining about what others do!

They should get a life, they might actually enjoy it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is the way things should be, and the way things are. If you knew having your photo next to something would reduce the income of your business by half or more you might want to avoid that situation.

Posts: 1070 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I felt the same way when I saw a recent post with the hunter's face blotted out but I didn't know how to express my thoughts. Rather than at blotting, how about if a hunter just photos the animal without any people in it?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be ok to edit to make us all better looking?

If so, I'm all for it.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Where was this hunt report posted?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I've had the exact same reaction when seeing hunter's faces blotted or blurred out in hunt reports. I still haven't found the right words on how to express my reaction to these types of photos. It pisses me off to no end seeing that this is where we are today, especially in light of the knowledge of how effective hunting is as a conservation tool. Isn't the uninformed mob rule of social media great?

Never say never, but I'll not hide from my passion of hunting. But then again, I'm not in a precarious or high profile type of employment position whereby public pressure would affect my livelihood from social media exposure.

It seems these "blurry faced client photos" are mainly posted by outfitters as hunt reports to promote their operations whereby the client does not consent to being identified. Maybe the answer is for outfitters to only report or promote from hunts where the hunter has no qualms about identity? IDK and I don't have all the answers but it almost seems to me that the parties are ashamed of their activities when you see one or more faces obscured. I would think it better to just say nothing (as in don't post the photos) in those cases. Or maybe just the PH and the animal. The blot over the face is too reminiscent of crime photos for my taste. JMO of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it has something to do with the reactions of some to a hunter who shot a legal lion and was called everything but a child molester because of it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I think this post is much ado about nothing, the only times I can remember seeing this done is when a hunt report has been posted by a third party. Newsflash for all the facebookers, twooters and their middle school girl following, some people value their privacy and anonymity. We should all enjoy the hunt reports and the respect the hunters privacy as well as the posters recognition of it. Just my $.02

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aziz:
I agree completely with Mike. It is very sad to see that kind of paranoia.

Aziz

It may seem like paranoia, but it is a fact of life today that if one places himself in the open media he is inundated most often with hate mail also in public open media world wide.

It is a sorry situation for sure but a fact of life. However far more serious, IMO, is hunters ganging up on other hunters when one is hunting in a way they disagree with even though it is legal in the hunting game rules, to a point that they quite participating all together.

It is one thing to combat the anti hunting folks, but to gang up on legal hunters, because they don't hunt the way you do, to me is far more destructive.

I don't post pictures on social media or even AR, not because I am paranoid, but because I have zero idea how to do it!

It is a sad day for hunters today, and I don't see it getting better!

....................................................................''' killpc

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I have no time for those with worthless lives that they spend all thier time complaining about what others do!

Well said.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, as I recall, that was a hunt report given by the PH or outfitter. He may not have obtained permission to use the person's image, which is required. Just a thought.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had the exact same reaction when seeing hunter's faces blotted or blurred out in hunt reports. I still haven't found the right words on how to express my reaction to these types of photos. It pisses me off to no end

Todd, don't feel bad...I believe the Moderators blur out your face to avoid scaring any little children that may be viewing AR :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I've had the exact same reaction when seeing hunter's faces blotted or blurred out in hunt reports. I still haven't found the right words on how to express my reaction to these types of photos. It pisses me off to no end

Todd, don't feel bad...I believe the Moderators blur out your face to avoid scaring any little children that may be viewing AR :-)

LOL

Can we see that photo again of you, Hartebeast, and Blaser once more! The trifecta of barf

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However far more serious, IMO, is hunters ganging up on other hunters when one is hunting in a way they disagree with even though it is legal in the hunting game rules, to a point that they quite participating all together.

It is one thing to combat the anti hunting folks, but to gang up on legal hunters, because they don't hunt the way you do, to me is far more destructive.

I AGREE 100%!

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
There is the way things should be, and the way things are. If you knew having your photo next to something would reduce the income of your business by half or more you might want to avoid that situation.

exactly.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an emotional issue and every one will already have their mind made up and nothing will change that. That said:

There are multiple reasons that people choose or don't choose to put their faces on the internet it is not all about being seen with dead animals. A lot of the time it is security issues. High net worth individuals have more than their share of security issues. Some people are just very conscious or their privacy. And some like me are just sooo damn good looking they don't want their pictures used for purposes of marketing and seduction.

Seriously after knowing multiple people who are in the business of internet security. The list of organizations, governmental ( from all over the world) private, public, intelligence agencies and criminal organizations that are crawling the web are astounding. Anything put on the internet is truly public and can be used and misused in many different ways. There is a constant war on security and the gathering of personal information going on 24/7. An acquaintance of mine who has been in the internet business since the early days summed it up like this.

"Internet security is simple; Never put anything on the internet that you would not put on a bill board on the busiest street in your home town with your name and address clearly shown."

just my two cents worth...

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Earnest, from my perspective I am fine with someone concluding that, for example, in your case, given your charming good looks that you would prefer not to post pictures with you in them. On the flip side, obviously I am fine with someone that choses to post an unaltered photo with them in it. I guess what I find sad or odd is the posting of altered, masked, blurred out photos. Just my opinion, but perhaps not posting a photo with the person in it in that instance would be preferable to posting something that looks like it should be featured on the 10:00 pm news.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
On second thought, I've had a few gents who put their hunts on my website ask me not to mention their names. The fear is a potential boss will Google their name and will see the gent with a downed elephant, etc. I guess I understand this.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Since the Cecil mess I've had numerous requests to put in the client's contract that no pictures of the client with any dead animals will appear in any advertising. Some of this is self generated and some comes directly from the client's employers.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got more important things to worry about than how someone poses in a hunting photo.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:

No need to add anything to Saeed's words...spot on!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
My concession to my wife was that I would stop posting my hunting photos to Facebook.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
My concession to my wife was that I would stop posting my hunting photos to Facebook.

As better option would be to stop supporting an anti hunting/anti gun venue such as Facebook

You won't find me on Facebook

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

As better option would be to stop supporting an anti hunting/anti gun venue such as Facebook

I don't frequent Facebook. The irony is the only reason I joined was because of requests from hunters at the deer lease. It was how we posted photos from game cameras and our kills.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Amen brother. FB is a farce.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple solution, don't do social media. Will never understand why people make their private life public.
Some very close friends still don't know I shot two elephants six years ago.

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't frequent Facebook. The irony is the only reason I joined was because of requests from hunters at the deer lease. It was how we posted photos from game cameras and our kills.

That is what MM texting is for

Friends trading pictures among friends....no WWW required

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Mike, you'll never see me doing any of that crap! "Evil prevails, when good men do nothing"!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what I have started doing. Group texts are how I shared photos with friends of my last hunt. It is also easier and they get them almost instantly.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is what I have started doing. Group texts are how I shared photos with friends of my last hunt. It is also easier and they get them almost instantly.

Good deal !!

I have a small circle of friends that get hunt reports and pictures via text

By using text, most of my pictures and stories never hit the web or AR

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Trouble is, the antis never hide themselves, and some of us do.

The following happened to me 2 days ago, in a chemist here in Dubai.

As we usually do, we are going on safari in September, and I was at the chemist buying sun protect, first aid and toiletries.

As soon as I walked in, a helpful young girl came over to ask what I wanted.

"I am looking for high SPF sun protection that is clear and not oily"

"We have all the sun cream over here" said, walking towards the right shelves.

She proceeded to show me the ones I might be looking for. Suddenly, and older woman appeared, carrying a shop carrying bag for my shopping. She seemed more senior to the young girls I was dealing with first.

I bought quite a bit of stuff, and both ladies were very helpful in finding whatever I asked for.

Then the fun started! Smiler

"Do you have DEET?"

"No, I am sorry we don't have any" said the young one.

"What do you need DEET for ?" Asked the older one.

"We use it fort insect repellent" I said.

"We have very good insect repellent here" said the older lady, and proceeded to show me a collection of it on the shelf.

"Non of this works against Tse Tse flies" I said.

They booked looked at me with surprise, as they had no idea what Tse Tse flies are.

"Tese Tse flies carry sleeping sickness, and they can bite through clothes too"

"There are no tse tse flies here, where do you go find them? Said the older one.

"They are found in many parts of Africa, and they can be very nasty" I said.

"What do you do in Africa?" Asked the older lady.

"We go hunting"

"HUNTING? What do you hunt?"

"We hunt everything"

I could see that the older lady was not too impressed with hunting. She had a complete change of character from the one I was dealing with a few minutes earlier.

"Why do you want to hunt? What do you normally do?"

"I do nothing. Just hunt. I love hunting".

The young girl was behind her, and her face was red, as she was trying her best to hide her laughing. And said "My uncle likes hunting!"

By this time I could see the older lady was getting her knickers in the twist, and wasn't sure how to get out of it. The young one had the biggest smile on her, loving every minute of it clap

I asked for some more things, which they had in the store, and will bring in the next few minutes.

I paid for all my purchases, and left my goods there, promising to come back in a few minutes to collect it.

I went to another chemist, and found the DEET.

I went back to get my things, and found the young girl behind the counter.

She gave me my bag, saying "I hope you enjoy your hunt, and get back home safely"

"Thank you very much, and give my best regards to your uncle"

I use my own mixture, which works great for tse tse flies.

It is a mixture of at least 30% DEET, with 50 SPF sun protection and any mosquito repellent, roughly in the same ratio.

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
Now you know which clerk to ask for on your next buying trip. Find out if the old one owns the place or just works there and you'll know where to spend your money from now on.

Invite the girl over to your place for a tour of your own private zoo, and have her bring her uncle along too.

Great story, enjoyed it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It cracks me up when folks complain about posting annonomously, yet only a few of us post our real names….

Thanks to Google searches - posting my real name has cost me a bit of business here and there, but I’m not very good at being fake so I’d rather be real and face the possible consequences. Maybe I’m nieve, but I’ve always felt that someone posting with their real name might be a bit more credible. Talk is really cheap so maybe credibility doesn’t matter on the interweb.

To each their own I guess, but maybe think twice before annonomously complaining about people who want to be annonomous….

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, in response to this I posted a hunt that I was not going to here.

Hope I don't get too much flack...

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
It cracks me up when folks complain about posting annonomously, yet only a few of us post our real names….

Thanks to Google searches - posting my real name has cost me a bit of business here and there, but I’m not very good at being fake so I’d rather be real and face the possible consequences. Maybe I’m nieve, but I’ve always felt that someone posting with their real name might be a bit more credible. Talk is really cheap so maybe credibility doesn’t matter on the interweb.

To each their own I guess, but maybe think twice before annonomously complaining about people who want to be annonomous….

Trouble is many people still believe that they can hide on the Internet.

You cannot.

If you have ANY presence on the Net, anyone with some time can find you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. We have a saying in Oklahoma " F*%$ them and feed them fish heads!"

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike and others make good points about supporting this way of life openly. I was a speaker on Predator Management several years ago at a Texas Parks & Wildlife Conference and I suggested to the audience that the hunting community stop using the verb "harvest" instead of kill because we were not recovering corn or lettuce from the field. A friend of mine suggested the same for substituting "clay sports" for a shooting club, as if pottery were being taught.

Always giving ground on the choice of words gives the appearance that we are ashamed of this pursuit. I'm all for areas of hunting and shooting that bring new segments of the community into the life of hunting and firearms endeavors, but I don't see the advantage to giving so much political ground willingly. My octogenarian father recently told me that people ask him about me with the lead up "Is that your son the hunter?" After a 35 year career as an attorney, that title suits me just fine.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bravo, Saeed! My thoughts exactly.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote