Find
Notify
Tools

Bill/Ore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

So glad to hear you're home! Here's to hoping your recovery is fast & complete.

Man, all of you back surgery guys & gals are warriors! Much respect and awe at your perseverance and pain tolerance. Bless you all, you hunters and gun lovers.

Bill, the summer awaits your immediate return...

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Great hear you are home!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your home Bill.

Take it easy and heal up! Hoping this is the last one you have to endure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Welcome back! Hope this one works and
stops the pains.

My first one was L3. When I woke up I never
had a clue a person could hurt so damned bad.

Since then with all the carving I've had. I
ask the dr to: Saturate me with the longest
lasting 'caine they have". That way the pain
isn't near as bad for several days. Just kind of eases into it that way.
Ann, I think that's why you hurt so bad.
You didn't get any 'caine.

Bill: Don't rush it like you have in mind already, and don't be bending either. with fusions it's the bending that wrecks the joints above.

Thanks for letting me know, and getting on here for the rest to hear from you. They needed that.

Thanks everyone for the support. Bill needs it.
Todd: you've had enough, time to quit whatever
you've been doing to cause it all.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell's bells!!

I underwent an L4/L5/S1 fusion which lasted 7 hours. Woke up the following morning without pain other than the niggle caused by the 10 sutures.

The Chief Engineer dropped by at around 8:00am asked how I felt and told me to haul my ass out of the bed and stand on my own two legs without support ... which I reluctantly did and managed to stay upright.

He then told me to take a few steps, asking if there was any pain (there wasn't). He then ordered me to walk in the center of the length of the 50m passageway and back with positive results.

I asked if I could go outside for a smoke and he told me to go right ahead but only using the stairs - no lift.

I was kept in the ward the day for observation purposes and discharged the following morning - no crutches, walker or back brace.

I was on a flight to TZ within a week - he had told me I could travel after a month following a final check. Returned to Italy after 3 weeks, got checked and was told I was free to fly home. Big Grin

I was either lucky or my Chief Engineer knew his bag of tricks.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two days now Bill's been having bad chills.
Besides the pain and feeling "worn out".

I know some of you are doctors. What's causing
his chills would you guess?

I've suggested having his lady look at the cut
for redness and infection. IF it persists, get ahold of his dr.

Thanks

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Two days now Bill's been having bad chills.
Besides the pain and feeling "worn out".

I know some of you are doctors. What's causing
his chills would you guess?

I've suggested having his lady look at the cut
for redness and infection. IF it persists, get ahold of his dr.

Thanks

George

I'm not a doctor but I've been there and done this. I'd be concerned about infection. It's happened to me on 3 of my surgeries. I'd tell him to contact the Dr. right away. Infection can become serious quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, hospitals are a breeding ground for some of the most virulent viruses and bacteria.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He needs to get in and be seen.

#1 on my list is infection, and in bone that’s a major concern.

There are literally hundreds of potential other causes, so it’s best to get checked out.

If you have a lot of pain, lung issues also can cause fever- pneumonia, PE, atelectasis...

He needs a good work up. This is a situation where telemedicine will not suffice.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll tell him to read this.

5 years ago a fellow my age of 72 then, in Austin. Moe Fried, had a knee replaced and infected about six months. Died from it. Healthy otherwise.

With my R knee: fell right away and dislodged the knee cap. Had to be fixed, infected, he opened it up twice to clean the crap out. Never was right.

six months later was stepping over my dog when she panicked and jumped up. Down I went full wt on it. Broke one of the parts. Replaced it again. Infected. Cleared up with Cipro both times.

I infect real easy for petty things. It's plumb scary when it sets in.

Ann said she's had about the same kind of luck with a knee replacement. Neither one is good, mine or hers.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,
I've been hoping and praying your surgery went well, and am glad to read your home. I've never undergone back surgery (thank God) but I have pain from time to time, but I'm sure it's nothing like what you guys go through with pins, screws and rods. I pray you will be back to hiking in June. Get better each day my friend.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure it's nothing like what you guys go through with pins, screws and rods.

When you reach the stage that you have to stop walking after every 50yds. and drop to a squat position for 5 mins to ease the pain and get enough relief before negotiating the next 50yds. you realize the time has come to face the knife.

Cold weather seems to aggravate the issue as the inflamed nerves must obviously detest low temperatures.

Reading about the misfortunes some people have had with what could be termed as botched operations, I must be one of the few lucky ones as the surgeon who must be related to Jesus Christ, performed a miracle on me.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I don't reply much but I lurk almost daily and I think I've got to know most of you guys by all the posts I read. I rolled my truck on December 7th chasing a coyote resulting in a month in the hospital. I broke both shoulders, my sternum, most of my ribs, ripped them of my sternum which I now have a couple plates holding everything together. Also, shattered my T9 and broke my back in 16 other places. I farm and ranch so I had to rely on help to get everything done but around March I started getting a little better. Now, I've gotten the crop in, cows calved and bred. It's a struggle daily just to get motivated to get up and head out but I've had plenty of time to plan future trips. I'll never be the same but I'm sure glad I made it through to see my kids grow up and experience all the fun trips we have lined up. I'll be writing a hunt report hopefully next year. Sending prayers your way!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:
I feel your pain. I don't reply much but I lurk almost daily and I think I've got to know most of you guys by all the posts I read. I rolled my truck on December 7th chasing a coyote resulting in a month in the hospital. I broke both shoulders, my sternum, most of my ribs, ripped them of my sternum which I now have a couple plates holding everything together. Also, shattered my T9 and broke my back in 16 other places. I farm and ranch so I had to rely on help to get everything done but around March I started getting a little better. Now, I've gotten the crop in, cows calved and bred. It's a struggle daily just to get motivated to get up and head out but I've had plenty of time to plan future trips. I'll never be the same but I'm sure glad I made it through to see my kids grow up and experience all the fun trips we have lined up. I'll be writing a hunt report hopefully next year. Sending prayers your way!

Sorry to hear of your accident sir. That sounds like a bad one. Right, you may never be the same but its still better than the alternative and you'll find a new normal that works for you. Just be careful going forward to not re-injure yourself.

That's been the problem for me since the first back surgery ... re-injury. And it's surprising what can cause it. My second back surgery was caused by choking on a piece of candy, causing me to cough immediately several times before I could brace my back. Blew out the left side L4-5 at the same point of the first injury in the process. Once that initial injury occurs, it doesn't take much to do it again.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Eeker

quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome home.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks gang, but I am off the heavy pain meds, healing on target and hope to walk an honest mile today, so no worries. Appreciate the care and concern.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote