The Accurate Reloading Forums
Proxibid?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1221043/m/1441016062

14 July 2020, 08:11
Hannay
Proxibid?
I have recently been looking further afield than GunBroker and Rock Island auctions and was thinking about using Proxibid to bid at some other auctions. Anything I should know? Experiences good bad or otherwise?

Reindeer & Geese, Iceland, 2023
Plains Game, Eastern Cape, 2023
Buff - Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe, 2022
Muskox-Greenland, 2020
Roe buck and muntjac in England, 2019
Unkomaas Valley, RSA, 2019
Kaokoland, Namibia, 2017
Wild boar hunting in Sweden, 2016
Moose hunting in Sweden, 2014

How to post photos on AR
15 July 2020, 20:31
Huvius
I've used ProxiBid a bit and it works just like bidding on Invaluable except Invaluable recently altered their system requirements to function properly.
My old desktop isn't up to snuff so no more Invaluable for me.

You will find that many of the auction houses now have their own online bidding platforms so at many auctions P.B. or Invaluable are unnecessary.

Also, I've been pipped by call in or on site bidders who have made equal bids to mine as it seems they have preference over those using P.B. or Invaluable.
I bet it has something to do with avoiding their fees.
17 July 2020, 05:30
Hannay
Huvius - thanks for the info!

Reindeer & Geese, Iceland, 2023
Plains Game, Eastern Cape, 2023
Buff - Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe, 2022
Muskox-Greenland, 2020
Roe buck and muntjac in England, 2019
Unkomaas Valley, RSA, 2019
Kaokoland, Namibia, 2017
Wild boar hunting in Sweden, 2016
Moose hunting in Sweden, 2014

How to post photos on AR
22 July 2020, 03:32
Bobster
Use an auction sniper program to place bids automatically in microseconds. You'll win more auctions. Also don't be cheap in bidding trying to get a huge deal. Bid what you think it is worth plus 10%. I've bought several firearms from them but it was always at maximum bid. Left me scratching my head when the last bid 1 second before auction ended was over $50 less than my winning bid at maximum. Maybe once but not twice.
01 September 2020, 12:16
Matt Norman
I've used proxibid a couple times. You can catch some good deals there....but pay attention to the Internet Premium! I've seen it as high as 26%. That's added to whatever you've bid, plus shipping.
11 September 2020, 03:47
Bobster
And then you still have to pay for shipping! In a traditional auction the seller pays a commission to the auction house. In an internet auction the buyer and the seller pay. Why should the buyer be punished? The transaction is carried out electronically. It's not like you take up someones time to give them your money.

But when you think about it, you have access to auctions all over the USA. If you had to travel across the country to attend an auction and pay room, board, gas, and lose time off work to attend an auction, paying the fees is a deal.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
I've used proxibid a couple times. You can catch some good deals there....but pay attention to the Internet Premium! I've seen it as high as 26%. That's added to whatever you've bid, plus shipping.

25 September 2020, 23:01
Phil McFall
they call it a buyers premium, but in reality, it is another charge for the seller since we all deduct a like amount from our bidding max.
Phil
30 December 2020, 04:44
Stonecreek
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
they call it a buyers premium, but in reality, it is another charge for the seller since we all deduct a like amount from our bidding max.
Phil

Well, that's what you would think, but the "Buyer's Premium" is only there because too many buyers are apparently mathematically challenged and disregard it, bidding as much or near as much as they might if there were no "Buyer's Premium". I find the net prices on Proxibid to average somewhat higher than those on Gunbroker (for true auction, non-reserve items).