THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    A friendly reminder about what NOT to do when loading for a new rifle

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A friendly reminder about what NOT to do when loading for a new rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK folks, here's what NOT to do when loading barrel break in rounds for a brand new rifle.

1. Don't neck size brass that has been fireformed to another(I.E fatter. Thanks Murphy.) chamber, and expect it to fit.

2. Don't try to close the bolt on a livey when testing function with said livey and it sticks in mid bolt throw. The problem is NOT a bullet seated too shallow(Thanks again, Murphy)

For your reading amusement, refer to link annotated below:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/904101734

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gixxer, always good to share hard learned/earned information. I always size my brass and trim to reloading manual (sammi) max case length, and then load to mid range charge capacity as a starting max, and work up from there. I figure a seating depth for that rifle specifically, and that is my starting round, fireforming load. I always chamber some brass and the first few built rounds at the shop to make sure they will work in the magazine and chamber of that particular rig.

Has worked so far--thanks for your candor and the 'heads up'.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
..The problem is NOT a bullet seated too shallow...
Hey gixxer, Is there a particular reason you did not "Fire" the cartridge? Surely you didn't have a MAX Load in it to start with.

The resulting Expansion and Contraction of the Case should have been enough to avoid using the old "Sledge on the Bolt Handle" method. Glad to hear you didn't knock the Bolt handle off.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
..The problem is NOT a bullet seated too shallow...
Hey gixxer, Is there a particular reason you did not "Fire" the cartridge? Surely you didn't have a MAX Load in it to start with.

The resulting Expansion and Contraction of the Case should have been enough to avoid using the old "Sledge on the Bolt Handle" method. Glad to hear you didn't knock the Bolt handle off.

I do not have enough experience with reloading and shooting to shoot a rifle with the bullet "on the lands". The load was a starting load verbatim in the reload book, but I was afraid. Not to mention the round sitting in the chamber till the next day, and transporting the thing to the range too. Imagine explaining that to the state trooper that would happen to pull me over that day too. I have already ordered a new Williams extractor, polished and blued. I wanted to get it nitre blued, but that can wait now.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have more than a sneaking suspicion this is how 9-of-10
remington bolt handles get broken off.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I do not have enough experience with reloading and shooting to shoot a rifle with the bullet "on the lands". The load was a starting load verbatim in the reload book, but I was afraid.
Hey Gixxer, I understand.
quote:
Not to mention the round sitting in the chamber till the next day, and transporting the thing to the range too. Imagine explaining that to the state trooper that would happen to pull me over that day too...
And I also understand your concern there also. Seems like when I get started on a BAD Day, everything goes haywire too.
---

By the way, Allan mentioned Bolt Handles getting broken off. It used to be that couldn't happen with M70s. But I understand from Bill Leeper that Winchester changed the design and has seen that happen on a couple of "new" M70s that came into his Shop.

Sounds like yours is attached right well though.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gixxer,

BTDT. Great story. I appreciate you sharing. Yeah, your father in law is a puss.

Allan,

I'm sure that is how many of them get broken off. The rest are busted off by sniper/tactical shooters. I was trained to show the bolt no mercy when cycling in a new round after firing the last one.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
I have more than a sneaking suspicion this is how 9-of-10
remington bolt handles get broken off.

AllanD

Allan, that is so damn funny, but so true. Some folks will lie their asses off when asked about how they whacked the bolt handle off of hteir weapon. I am not afraid to admit that I made a mistake(most of the time).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Gixxer,

BTDT. Great story. I appreciate you sharing. Yeah, your father in law is a puss.

Allan,

I'm sure that is how many of them get broken off. The rest are busted off by sniper/tactical shooters. I was trained to show the bolt no mercy when cycling in a new round after firing the last one.

LD

Yea, especially with that bolt knob the size of a golf ball on it! you can get so much leverage with that fat ass bolt knob, most folks dont realize. But you are right, the last thing you want to do is hump 20 miles, sneak up on yer mark, and jack up your follow up cause you cycled the bolt like a wuss. Wait, why would a good shooter NEED a follow up?!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Wait, why would a good shooter NEED a follow up?!
Two(or more) things needed killing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gixxer, gotta admit I just broke my claw extractor last week pretty much doing the same thing. I just received my barreled action from PacNor and got busy making the rest of plans in the makeup of this rifle. Anyways I had already been tumbling .30-06 brass and got to thinking about sizing to the lands. Grabbed a .06 brass and sized the neck for the .338-06 and split the mouth a tad for ease of seating and chambered -could not close! What the heck! I just realized that when I deprimed the .06 brass I used the Universal decapper-##$% it! About the first time I have used that new tool. Well I broke the extractor attempting to get the dummy round out of the chamber. Had to drive the round out, which thankfully was not a loaded round. I did notice the claw looked like it was pot metal of sorts. Understand later it was a manufacturer piece called MIM. I too ordered from Williams a new extractor. HUMBLE PIE - will never forget that. All my brass is and have been used just for a specific chamber and I spaced this requirement for the .338-06. I could not pass this up saying this too you. I for one know how important it is to pay strict attention to detail-at all times.
regards

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
gixxer, gotta admit I just broke my claw extractor last week pretty much doing the same thing. I just received my barreled action from PacNor and got busy making the rest of plans in the makeup of this rifle. Anyways I had already been tumbling .30-06 brass and got to thinking about sizing to the lands. Grabbed a .06 brass and sized the neck for the .338-06 and split the mouth a tad for ease of seating and chambered -could not close! What the heck! I just realized that when I deprimed the .06 brass I used the Universal decapper-##$% it! About the first time I have used that new tool. Well I broke the extractor attempting to get the dummy round out of the chamber. Had to drive the round out, which thankfully was not a loaded round. I did notice the claw looked like it was pot metal of sorts. Understand later it was a manufacturer piece called MIM. I too ordered from Williams a new extractor. HUMBLE PIE - will never forget that. All my brass is and have been used just for a specific chamber and I spaced this requirement for the .338-06. I could not pass this up saying this too you. I for one know how important it is to pay strict attention to detail-at all times.
regards

You know, thats what I was thinking too the part about the DTL. I had just got done measuring the bullet on the lands length, and just started cranking away after I got the seating depth right.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
One trick you guys should know when trying to extract a round that has already been fired and it stuck, is to use a cleaning rod and tap the brass back, then lift the bolt handle a little more, then tap some more, lift the handle etc...

That way the bolt does not have to cam the stuck brass out of the chamber. Just don't try to do it all in one shot, and as Gixxer wisely noted you probably shouldn't do it with live rounds either.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote