Find
Notify
Tools

Houstonians - advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I have to be in Houston for a consulting job Jan 3rd - 10th but I have nothing to do that weekend.

I've visited some of the gunshops on the westside (out along Westheimer) and I've been to Bass Pro Shops and the Houston Space Center. I've been to see the Rockets, Astros and Texans.

Can anyone recommend anything else to do?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
http://www.houstonboatshows.com/

Boat show

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Collectors, I think it is on Fondren is a gun store with a lot of stuff, as well as a lot of guns.

www.collectorsfirearms.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can visit the San Jacinto Monument and BB35-the battleship Texas. It is much better to visit in the winter. You don't roast and the mosquitoes don't get the left overs.
You can also ride the ferry at point Bolivar. If you want to really burn some gas drive to San Antonio and see the Alamo. Then up to Buda to Cabelas. You can check out Devil's Backbone and the springs at San Marcos, then to Austin and check out Barton Springs. Go to the Texas Memorial Museum and check out the spectacular gun collection. Head out to Pedernales Falls and then out to Fredricksburg to the Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War. Then north 12 miles to Enchanted Rock. Then back to Hamilton Pool on the west side of Austin and then over to Interspace Caverns in Georgetown.
But then again there might be a gun show near Houston too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Collectors Firearms on Fondren & Richmond, also Fountain Firearms on Hwy 6.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Echoing Forrest, I would make a trip to Collector's Firearms, then while I was in the vicinity I would go by Pappasitos at Richmond and Hillcroft and have some Mexican food and a margarita (or two).

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Two other places to eat before you leave would be Fogo de Chao on Westheimer between 610 Loop and the Beltway 8, and the Aquarium downtown.

Fogo for the food and the Aquarium for the experience.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well, while we are doing an on-line Zagat's guide, if you like barbeque, swing by Otto's on Memorial Drive (near downtown) or drive a little to County Line on Cutten Road.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
+1 on Fogo de chao. But bring an appetite!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you're done there, how about heading north to DSC. Unfortunately I can't attend, but a great way for you to meet fellow AR members and party.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Considering your avatar, you might want to check out the offerings at Treasures, The Men's Club, Rick's Caberet, Centerfolds, or The Gold Cup (a personal favorite).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I've been to the Alamo,(I drove to San Antonio in October), Austin, Dallas, etc.

I liked the San Jacinto Monument (You can see it from GE' engine depot, where I work a lot)

Collector's is one of the shops I visited (twice) out near Westheimer. I'll have to look for Fountain's

Fog de Chao's is great, I've eaten there a couple of times. (I've also worked in Brazil numerous time and Bufalo's Churrascaria in Manaus is one of my favorites.)

Our operating company is headquarted on Louisiana St so I've been to just about all the restaurants downtown. I've also been to Joe's Crabshack, Pappasito's on I-10 east and a lot of restaurants on the westside past the Galleria.

I also spent 11 years in the US Navy so I've seen enough ships and boats to last me a lifetime. Big Grin

As far as Treasures, TMC, Rick's, etc. Like I said, I've been to Brazil about a dozen times, why settle for less? Big Grin

I guess I can check out the convention center as they have a cat show and a "bridal extravaganza" (Kill me now!)

Thanks guys.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
You can see the Rockets play NY. They play Jan 5. Or you can line up a duck or goose hunt with any of the outfitters there. The Houston/Katy area is a major landing point for the central flyway. Or just call whatever hotel you're using and ask what else might be going on that weekend.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Fjold

Drop me a PM and I'll give you the phone numbers to a couple of Happy Ending Massage Parlors. Cool

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey Fjold

Drop me a PM and I'll give you the phone numbers to a couple of Happy Ending Massage Parlors. Cool

LOL, Thanks. I've been to Brazil, New Zealand, Germany, Netherlands, England, etc.

One thing that they have in common, it isn't illegal there.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks as though others have covered the 'city" sites.

How about a 'shooting' trip. Bayou Rifles has two ranges; "Eldridge" (I10 & Eldridge on west side, near the "Energy Corridor") and "Juliff" (Hwy 6 & 288 on south side).

Eldridge is stricly 22lr rifles & standard pistol cartridges. Juliff has High Power course with 600 & 1000yd ranges.

Most weekends there's some kind of event at both. Most guys have extra firearms & ammo for vistors. We often shoot informal smallbore shilouette matches Sat & Sun mornings and would welcome out of towners. My sons & I are at Eldridge most weekends and would love to let another try their hand with our rifles.

Goggle up "bayou rifles" and there are contact names, directions, etc.

Another great club down near Alvin is Pearland Shooting Club (PSC). Many people are members of both. They also welcome out of town vistors.

Pete A.
pauban@comcast.net

Posts: 107 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we can find an afternoon to go to the range and we can shoot the doubles and 404 Jeffery?
Please drop me an emailrkmojo@aol.com
I'll send along my contact information.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete and Rusty that's very kind of you.

To tell you the truth a 404 is the next big bore that I want to build so that a very attractive offer.

Let me firm up my schedule and I'll contact you Rusty. I'll spring for lunch and or dinner if we can make it a go.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Perhaps we can find an afternoon to go to the range and we can shoot the doubles and 404 Jeffery?
Please drop me an emailrkmojo@aol.com
I'll send along my contact information.

I was thinking the same, maybe some of us might get together and bring some toys to ASC and sling some lead?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
[

I was thinking the same, maybe some of us might get together and bring some toys to ASC and sling some lead?

Let me know. Meet at the 200 yard range?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It would be great if we could get together.

There is a chance that I will have to work Saturday. But Sunday, Jan 6th I will have free for sure.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am always game for a trip to the range. Just let me know and we can find a toy or two to bring along.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
After exchanging emails with Fjold, let's make it Sunday January 6th. Be at the range at 9:30 AM. At Bayou Rifles, the Juliff range. You can come as my guests. We'll go shoot and then stop in Pearland for lunch afterwards around 1 PM!

I'll post directions and GPS coordinates later.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
add me to your growing list... i'd like to show off my new .416 taylor...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Considering your avatar, you might want to check out the offerings at Treasures, The Men's Club, Rick's Caberet, Centerfolds, or The Gold Cup (a personal favorite).

I can't believe it took 10 posts to list titty bars/BJ shacks.........Houstons best attraction Smiler

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1440 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sunday Jan. 6th. This Sunday 9:30 AM informal get together at Bayou Rifles Juliff range with
FJOLD. Please contact Rusty if you are going to be there. Bring a rifle We'll shoot a bit then go have lunch at the Salt Grass Steakhouse in Pearland.
See map below.
Range is 1 1/2 miles East of TX288 on County Rd. 57 West. Also known as Juliff Manvel Rd. Range is on the north side of CR 57.
rkmojo@aol.com
281-773-7987 cell
281-437-3261 home
713-778-8919 work

TX-288 South and County Road 57 (Juliff Manvel Rd)

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rats I will be at Market Hall gunshow the 5th and 6th
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, it's fitting that my 4,000 post on AR is to accept the invitation to come meet with some of you.

I'll be there Sunday morning for sure!

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for this but I have to be out of town now.

Fjold, I sorry I am going to miss this but hope others will make it out. hope you have a good time in Houston any way.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'll be there and I'll be bringing along this little baby...

Come lust over this beauty and bring your check book. See you guys there.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm left handed Forrest, that's gorgeous!

Frank