THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    A New Offering from Butch Searcy

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A New Offering from Butch Searcy Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
(I posted this in the Single Shot Forum, but also posted it here as it will be available in calibers up to .500 NE)

All:

I was speaking to Butch the other day and he graciously shared with me a new product that he has been working on and will be unveiling to the general public at the SCI/DSC shows in January 2007.

The new offering is a in-house built Single Shot Falling Block Stalking Rifle very similar to the Hagn action - the action is made entirely by B. Searcy & Co. Butch recently purchased the rights and toolings for this action from a widow whose husband was trying to make the action. Butch took the original design, improved on it a bit and retooled the manufacturing process.

This new rifle with sport a Super Match PAC-NOR barrel and will be availabe in both rimmed and rimmless cartridges from .500 NE on down. The .375 H&H Belted Magnum may be the most attractive from the start.

Each rifle with a 1/4 rib, barrel band sling attachment and barrel band front sight; Talley scope rings will be used.

Base price will be in the $8000.00 range.

A take down model will also be available.

Here are some photos of a rifle in the white that Butch is currently working on:

Here is an option on how the back action can be scalloped:

For more information about this new rifle, anyone can give Butch a ring.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I am sure they are exellent, but to me, its lines resmbles to much of a H&R singleshot break-gun.
It is nowere near the sculpted lines of a Dakota Mod 10, IMO.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The action looks like those made by Dick Leger of Brookings Arms Makers of Brookings, Oregon, supposedly an improvement over the Hagn, right down to the octagon breech.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SWeeT!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39672 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Mr. Searcy's rifle is a cut above the rest in materials (especially at $8000.00), but...the rifle seems to lack the asthestic appeal of either the No.1 or Dakota.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I see it as CLEAN, and classic, in a neato way.. plenty of room to engrave and it's CLEAN

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39672 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nothing against Butch. I think my M10 has much smoother lines. There is plenty of engaving room and the M10 as well.

So for my $$$ no thanks.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
I'm sure Mr. Searcy's rifle is a cut above the rest in materials (especially at $8000.00), but...the rifle seems to lack the asthestic appeal of either the No.1 or Dakota.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

No. I think the depth of the action is what is causing the problem when the forestock covers the whole front of the receiver. It is therefore pretty deep, and has to have a relatively radical taper in order to keep it short enough to match the length of the barrel. I suppose in this respect, it resembles many of the classic 19th Century English big-bore single shots. Maybe the use of large cases necessitates that depth, or is it the firing components that take up so much room?

I like the esthetics of the Dakota Model 10 better......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I prefer the appearance of the Hagn to this action. The Hagn round breech looks much better IMO. As far as modern single shots, I like the mass produced everyday Ruger #1.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I think it would grow on me if had the $8K to spare for it, but if I had that much, I'd be looking for a double.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16650 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't the knowledge to put pictures on the forum, Paul was kind enough to do it for me.
Several months ago I bought the rights and tooling from the widow of the late owner of Brookings Arms Makers Co. Along with the sale came about 50 receivers that I decided not to use. I've redesigned the action to give a thicker wall on each side of the breach block area, this was done by useing wire EDM rather than broaching. I've also repositioned the main spring on the back strap which decreases the lock time and makes a more positive hammer fall. On all new actions built by my co. the receiver rings will be round. Also I'll have a take down version at SCI. The rifle design and style is based on the old English stalking rifles. Also I'm in no way trying to compete with the Ruger, Dakota, or anyone else. These rifles will be built on limited runs, and by order only. There's allot more info about my new project, if you have any questions send a PM and I'll do my best to get back to you quickly.
searcy@ccis.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch Searcy: On all new actions built by my co. the receiver rings will be round.

thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Will you make one size of action or multiple sizes for different size cartridges?

Are the actions cast?

Are you still making the Farquharson action you debuted a few years ago?

Sorry for so many questions. The actions and rifles look very nice.

Thanks.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, but if I'm spending $8,000 on one, I want a trigger in it! Razzer

P.S.
I know one of the pictures has the rifle with trigger, just poking some fun. Smiler

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golden Mean...what is that?

The action appears waaaay too short (front to back) and waaaay to deep (top to bottom) for my tastes in a single shot...and it does not have enough triggers either. Isn't the price quoted about the same as a basic Searcy double rifle? In general, aren't single shots about the least expensive actions to build? No offense to anybody, but this seems rather exorbitant pricing for the product received. Sorry, but the "woody" factor is about a one.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could go for one of those if it could be chambered for 50 BMG.

For anything up to and including 500 NE, I would rather have a Ruger No.1.

It does look like a larger action suitable for 50 BMG could come out of this upstart.

However, I would want it in stainless and solid filled synthetic for a little extra weight.

Let's not forget the muzzle brake either.

Come on, let's be a little bit adventurous and distinguished here, and a little bit less the nostalgia stuffed "me too!" Do it all. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand all the Neg. comments.

If one wants a number one buy one if one wants a dakota buy one.

If one wants a Searcy buy one.

That one things nice about this country lots of choices.

No need to pick apart another mans work. The market place well decide. If you don't like it don't buy it. If you do like it buy one.

I would have to handle one to decide if it was for me.

Posts: 19598 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well,
I'd prefer the appearance of the Hagn or Hein to this action. Each to his own....

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that many, MANY people are happy with their double rifles from Mr. Searcy,

and I expect that the great majority of buyers of this new falling block single will be happy too.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously this rifle is in a totally different class than a Ruger no. 1. A rifle must satisfy its owner but does not need to satisfy anyone else. If someone would care to ask, I am sure that there are specific design features of the new Searcy single shot that will give it an advantage over some of the other rifles mentioned.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt there will be any issues with reliability, fit and finish, wood choices, chamberings, etc. This is simply a forum to discuss the esthetics and pricing structure. Expensive single shot rifles, are difficult to appreciate, especially this one which has to compete, pricewise, with Butch's own baseline double barrel rifle.
In the same vein, consider Tomo577's reintroduction of the Wickliffe rifle actions. I really, really, like the Stevens 44 1/2 action lines. The Wickliffe has a strong relationship to that action as far as style. It is NOT a Searcy, but it will cost $400 next spring, and that leaves me a lot of money to buy wood and a barrel and build something verrrrrry nice.
Again: I am not disparaging Butch's SS, opinions on rifles are like the Redhead VS Blonde issue.
As long as the cuffs match the collar, make mine a Redhead. I wish Butch nothing but success with this rifle.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The majority of the guys out there is only interested in cheap and functional. My market target is for the discriminating guy that wants Best Quality work with 1/2" groups and reliability. If I only sell four a year then thats it, although I have already taken orders for three.
For the guys that like the Hagn style better, maybe you should look at the two actions again. You might find out that they are very similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm not disputing or saying which is better. I'm simply offering information on why Hagn's and Searcy's actions are better.
Single shot info

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote