Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 jeffery for buffalo Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from Botswana where I used my CZ 404 jeffery to take a Buffalo. I have only taken two buffaloes, this one and one with a 375 H&H, and I realize that a sample size of two is statistically meaningless, however, I noticed a huge difference in the buffalo's reaction to the 404 shoulder shot as opposed to the 375 shoulder shot. With the 375 the buffalo simply turned to run off necessitating two quick texas heart shots to turn him and enable two more to bring him down. The 404, on the other hand staggered him. He was scrambling trying to get his feet to work when my second shot put him down. There was a dramatic difference in reaction to the first shot which essentially hit in the same place. I guess that extra 100 grain works.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
If you happen to see a big bore locally, please drop me a line.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to rebarrel my 375 H&H to 470 Capstick this winter for that very reason and who knows there may be an elephant hunt in my future. I also just want something bigger that is still fun to shoot.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
These were the "anectdotal" stories I had heard from firends & PHs about buffalo w/ smaller bores. The .375h&h is a great round, but just doesn't seem to hit as hard as the heavier, larger 42cal & up. My only buffalo to date, fell to one well placed heart shot, folded him on the spot. I am going again this fall for buffalo & am hoping for the same results. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dla69

I found my 404 at Cabela's in Wheeling. I was able to order a Remington 798 (the mauser) in 458 WM from A&S in youngwood, and Joe found his cz 375 H&H at our hometown Gandermountain. You can order the big bore CZs from Gander.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joe found his cz 375 H&H at our hometown Gandermountain. You can order the big bore CZs from Gander.

TerryR

Thanks. Because of your hunt report, I ran down tonight to see what they had - nothing.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say my experience has been different. Have done 2 buffalo with the 375 H&H (again a small sample) and were both one shot deals. 1st one went maybe 50 yards and the 2nd just turned around like a dog about to lay down and dropped where I shot him. Both were shot at around 50-60 yds. I was using 300 gr Barnes TSX.

Having said that the 404 J is a rifle that's on my wish list as much just for the fun of shooting another big bore as for the extra size/power.

Posts: 7 | Location: strathmore, alberta CAN | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope they had one like this. . .
CZ 404 Jeffery, Cabelas Rogers, MN.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
There's just something mystical about taking such a legendary caliber to Africa. The same could be said for the 416 Rigby, 425 WR, etc. It doesn't get much better than that.

That being said, I'm not surprised in the least the buffalo reacted more severely after being hit with your 404 as opposed to the 375. You've got a lot more horsepower in the 404.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
I am having a Ruger No. 1 rebored from .458 Win Mag to .470 Capstick for that "Mack Truck" effect also.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is the Legends that becken us! They wrap their stories around our hearts and minds when we turn away. Listen! Can you not hear them? There! In the long grass they await your return.

Jeffery 404

With acknowledgement to Rege Podraza ( Where Elephants go to die )

“It rested between the ivory
That hung on grandpa’s wall
It’s finish checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It’s barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering bands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
And a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word “Jefferyâ€
“Jeffery 404â€

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of buffalo, elephant and men

But that day has set it’s sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I’d give for one last time
To hear that baby roar

Grandpa's “Jefferyâ€
His “Jeffery 404â€

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
It is the Legends that becken us! They wrap their stories around our hearts and minds when we turn away. Listen! Can you not hear them? There! In the long grass they await your return.

Jeffery 404

With acknowledgement to Rege Podraza ( Where Elephants go to die )

“It rested between the ivory
That hung on grandpa’s wall
It’s finish checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It’s barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering bands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
And a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word “Jefferyâ€
“Jeffery 404â€

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of buffalo, elephant and men

But that day has set it’s sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I’d give for one last time
To hear that baby roar

Grandpa's “Jefferyâ€
His “Jeffery 404â€

Now, I really can't wait for my .404 Jeffery build to be complete!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RUSTY,

You are mean, cruel, heartless SOB!!!

You understand that some of us DON"T own a 404 Jeffery!!

I hereby up my offer for yours to $500 beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post

Just a teaser

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boha:

Just a teaser

Don't be cheeky.
Show us, man.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COOL! A beltfed 404 Jeffery clap

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Don't be cheeky.
Show us, man.

I think you have seen it before on these forums..

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've taken elephant and buffalo with my .404's. Here are a couple of pictures that I've probably posted before:

I think the .404 is about perfect. Little recoil, good sectional density, low pressure and plenty of power space to make it do whatever you wish.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
beautiful rifles!
"Vertrou in God en die Mauser!"

That cartridge carrier looks like one of the older Uncle Mike's that would hold 10 Nitro Express rounds. The new ones will not.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 404 for years and have owned a number of them, some I built and some like my FN comm. and an original Mauser were among my favorite DGRs...

I suppose its one of my favorite calibers along with the 450-400 and the 416 Rem.,and my new 416 Ruger fits in there somewhere. I am sure and my next project will be a 404 Ruger..No nostalgia goes with the 404 Ruger but the balistics will be the same..

All in all its a grand caliber for the nostalgic at heart, otherwise the 416s will do the same..

It is better than the 375 H&H on buffalo anyway you cut it..no question about that, but thats not to say the 375 isn't a decent buffalo caliber, it is...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41959 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The above poem reminded me of a little, I guess you would call it a story as it was not really a poem about a few cartridges.

It went something like, you show up at camp with a .375 H&H and the PH thinks you can shoot, if you show up with a
.458 WM he is worried you can't shoot, you show up with a 404 Jeffery and he knows you can shoot and have class and he smiles.

It was something along the lines of that but obviously much better done.

It was a little tongue in cheek but I thought it was cute.
I had saved and printed it but can't find it now.

Does anyone remember it and have a copy and can post it?

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
The 404 Jeffery has much less recoil that the 458 Win Mag? It's that I'm thinking, as I have bothered to other post, a rifle in the cartridge of American origin and it seems that his setback is hard. He may choose a 458 Lott and I can also shoot the 458 Win Mag. The rifle undoubtedly a Ceska.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Boha,
That is a beutifull rifle.
What is the info on the mount's?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

All this talk, poetry and posts of fine 404J's inspired me to post this picture of one of the latest M70 Legends to come out of D'Arcy Echols' shop . This fine rifle will one day be stocked in fine English walnut, but for now it wears a synthetic and holds four down in the magazine. It was in Africa this last May, where its first game was a fine Burchell's zebra. In September it's off to Africa again in search of cape buffalo.

Cheers All,
Louis

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Boha,
That is a beutifull rifle.
What is the info on the mount's?

Thanks, we made it from an old Husqvarna 640 (FN-action), Lothar-barrel and Recknagel irons. The mounts are probably Swedish, and were attached to the Husky. It used to be a 8x57. A .404 should be used with irons, and the scope is for special situations. So the old sidemount is ok by me - besides it looks kind of retro. I made the stock for shooting with irons. In the picture the mount is pulled back a bit on the rail..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJB:
Gentlemen,

All this talk, poetry and posts of fine 404J's inspired me to post this picture of one of the latest M70 Legends to come out of D'Arcy Echols' shop . This fine rifle will one day be stocked in fine English walnut, but for now it wears a synthetic and holds four down in the magazine. It was in Africa this last May, where its first game was a fine Burchell's zebra. In September it's off to Africa again in search of cape buffalo.

Cheers All,
Louis

Safari Rifles should be in Wood, nothing in the world says "Classic" like a Big Bore in Wood. Thanks Louis

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Eurocentric,

Agreed! And that's the plan. More details posted on the Lefties forum.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/837108194/m/732107788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

That is the exact rifle that I bought.

TerryR

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Terry! I hope it serves you well!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boha,
Simple ellagance, no frills and bells, no clown wood, just functional beauty..I love your rifle, it bespeaks a hunter!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41959 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. Coming from a man of your experience that ment a lot. I took your advice about stocking the rifle many years ago.
Thanks thumb