THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left Hand Echols Legend/Classic in 404 Jeffery

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Echols Legend/Classic in 404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings Fellow Lefties,

I just posted this picture on a 404J thread on the Big Bore forum, but I thought you folks would like to see it for yourselves with a few of the details thrown if for fun. It's currently stocked in a LH Legend stock, but it will be fitted with a nice piece of English walnut when I return form Africa in September. At this year's SCI show I asked D'Arcy if he could fit it with a Legend stock so I could get some trigger time with it before my hunts in May and September. He graciously agreed and worked feverishly to get the rifle to me in time. This was his first .404J on a Winchester M70 so we were expecting it to hold only 3 cartridges down in the shallow Legend stock. But things didn't turn out as expected, and as D'Arcy put it "good thing I'm not any good at math", it holds four down in the magazine and one up in the chamber. It feeds cartridges so smoothly it's hard to tell one has been chambered. The safety functions flawlessly and the ejected cartridges clear the action enthusiastically (sp?). Of course the trigger is perfect. The gun weighs about 9.75 lbs (if memory serves). D'Arcy's, and his assistant's, Brian, attention to detail is impeccable.

It shoots 400 gr TSX's into nice little groups at 100 yards at about 2150 fps. The 400 gr Barnes Banded Solids hit at almost the same POI at 100 yards clocking over 2200 fps.

I took the gun with me to South Africa last May hoping to shoot a big eland. Well the eland hunt didn't pan out, so a fine Burchell's zebra was substituted. One shot from 200 yards with a 400 gr TSX worked just fine. Fitting the first blood was on a zebra given the nice picture D'Arcy provided. Next up is a cape buffalo hunt this September.

D'Arcy had a professional take this picture. It's posted with his permission.

Louis

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=...=351107788#351107788

posted Hide Post
Here's the picture w/o going to the link. Sorry about that.

Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Every part of it looks perfectly in proportion to the rest of the rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice indeed!

All these recent posts of REALLY nice lefty rifles are really bad for a gun nut's imagination and causes severe planning of next rifle project.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote