THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Flights to Argentina - looking for advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flights to Argentina - looking for advice.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a bird hunt to Argentina. Would be flying into Santa Fe. I'll be flying from the East coast of the US and I can depart from either Philadelphia, Washington DC, or New York. Philadelphia would be preferred since it's the closest to my home.

I've done some searching on the net but all I'm seeing is flights with long layovers or actually a change of airports when making a connection.

Are there any preferred airlines or ones to avoid? I've been to Africa numerous times but this would be my first trip to South America. Flying to SA seems to be more complicated than flying to Africa.

Right now I'm just trying to get an idea of travel times and cost. Obviously, I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. Any tips you could provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you get a travel agent, especially if you're traveling with firearms.

That said, I would consider flying from Philly to Santiago, then from there to Santa Fe. The problem is, booking it yourself, you might have to book 2 separate flights and go thru Chilean customs, which among other things would probably involve paying the "tax" of about $160 for American tourists (however it is good for several years (10?) or until you have to renew your passport.

In the past, not sure about current situation, if you flew into BA, then you had to change airports to fly on to most domestic destinations, a real pain in the ass after a long flight down there.

Also, it may or may not appeal to you, but if you use a travel agent, you could layover, on either your departing or returning schedule, for a few days in your intermediate stop, such as Santiago, Lima, or BA and kickback and enjoy a second holiday. This is much easier if you're not carrying guns, and might be impossible, depending on where you're stopping, if you are. I try to do this every trip if I have the time.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just finalized out flights for the September trip. There is a direct flight out of MIA to Cordoba but only operates on Sunday, something to consider. Our party will meet up in MIA and then to BA overnite and then direct to Cordoba. I booked the flights through a travel agent and insisted no transfer from BA to the regional airport, about an hour across town. I think your best bet would be Santiago Chile, a direct flight from MIA or HOU. The nice thing about that is you won't have to clear customs until you get to Santa Fe

Last February, we were scheduled to fly MSP-ORD-MIA and then Santiago. It was snowing in ORD and we lost all of our connections due to not getting out or ORD. We spent a nite in Chicago, another story, and back to MSP the next afternoon. Two bags made it back to MSP, mine and one other made it to Cordoba. Go Figger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll have to look into that direct flight from Miami to Cordoba. If I book this trip I will be using the operators guns. First time I've ever done that. I'll probably use the services of a travel agent for the actual booking. Right now I'm just trying to see what is available.

I saw where some flights that connect in BA require you to change airports. I agree that's a real PIA and something I don't want to do in a strange country.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fly from Atlanta to BA on Delta normally. I have done it about 15 times. It works well for me. I also did Miami to BA & back on American once. I prefer Delta.

I HATE Aerolinas Argentina. There is not a chance in hell that I would take their flight from Miami. They are notoriously unreliable. I have had serious problems with them. Those I have hunted with have had serious problems . I have seen MANY MANY times where a full day or more of a 3 day hunt were lost to Aerolinas Argentina's incompetence.

Gato is right. Changing airports is a pain in the rear end. Not fun.

I charter now.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I fly from Atlanta to BA on Delta normally. I have done it about 15 times. It works well for me. I also did Miami to BA & back on American once. I prefer Delta.

I HATE Aerolinas Argentina. There is not a chance in hell that I would take their flight from Miami. They are notoriously unreliable. I have had serious problems with them. Those I have hunted with have had serious problems . I have seen MANY MANY times where a full day or more of a 3 day hunt were lost to Aerolinas Argentina's incompetence.

Gato is right. Changing airports is a pain in the rear end. Not fun.

I charter now.

Larry and Gato are correct. I go DFW-SCL-COR. Simple and easy times.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labman:

To give you ONE example of what can happen, I booked my trip to Santa Fe Provence from Phx thru Houston to Buenos Aires back in January, using United. To get to Santa Fe, I had to book with Aerolinas. Between January and mid April, Aerolinas changed the flight times to Santa Fe FOUR TIMES. Then, the flight was changed one more time and would have caused me to miss my international flight home, requiring an overnight in BA. I ended up dropping the Aerolinas flight alltogether and took a charter directly to the estancia. My experience is not unique. Santa Fe can be a bear to get to using commercial air.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds about normal for them.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That info. on Aerolines is just the kind on info. I was seeking. I'll avoid them as well. Looks like getting to Santa Fe is more problamatic than Cordoba. Flying to Africa is simple compred to SA.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Cordoba is an optional destination, I would consider it for the greater number of flights from Santiago. However, if the flights to Santa Fe fit your schedule it will likely be closer to the hunting area.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Thanks guys. That info. on Aerolines is just the kind on info. I was seeking. I'll avoid them as well. Looks like getting to Santa Fe is more problamatic than Cordoba. Flying to Africa is simple compred to SA.

Aerolines is their state run airline. You can deduce the reasons why from there.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Aerolineas Argentinas is now flying from MIA to Cordoba non stop. No more need to stop at Chile.
New service for Cordoba lodges and also for northern La Pampa !!
Check-it at Aerolineas Argentinas webpage.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
If you are going to Santa Fe, check Flights to Parana. (Across The river).

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

Aerolines is their state run airline. You can deduce the reasons why from there.

Ain't that the truth?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Fligth to Santa Fe is very easy two fligths a day ,you can take a bus inside Ezeiza airport and travel to Santa Fe too .All my dorado fishermen fly to Santa Fe without problems almost weekly .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GATOGORDO just departed he landed in Ezeiza took a bus to SanTA fE and them returned same way.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That explains why GATOGORDO hasn't been posting about BBQ !

Marcus Cady

DRSS