New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goose hunting in South America
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Several years ago it seemed the rage was goose hunting in large numbers and then there was a drought and I don't hear anymore about it.

Have the numbers dropped so much or ????

I'd like to take my 2 sons (adults) on a bird shooting safari to South America --- a couple of days of doves, a couple of days of ducks, a day or so of pigeons and a day or so of geese if available.

I don't mind switching locations or outfitters and we don't need 5-star accomodations but I do want to hunt with someone who's knows what they're doing, runs a honest operation, can put plenty of birds in front of our muzzles and whose accomodiations are very nice. This would be my 70th birthday present to myself and my son's.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Contact Juan Pozzi on this thread....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goose hunting was banned or severely limited in manyh areas of Argentina several years ago. As far as I know the ban remains in place. The government banned the shooting of these birds in all of the productive counties in the country in order to protect a sub-species of the Magellan goose called the Cauquén Colorado (Chloephaga rubidiceps) that made the endangered species list.

Most of the old hot-spot areas are included in these conservation regulations. The prohibition was declared in the provinces of Rio Negro, Buenos Aires, Chubut and Santa Cruz. These provinces encompass the migrational corridor extending from the mountainous through the Atlantic zones.

Some local farmers still welcome American hunters to hunt on their land in an attempt to ease the destruction of their crops, since it is no longer legal for them to poison the birds. But now it is against the law for anyone to shoot Ashyhead or Magellan geese in any county that they frequent because the protected goose is said to flock with them, and could accidentally be shot.

Some outfitters will still book goose hunts in Argentina, but be careful. The government is deadly serious about enforcing the law and several outfitters and their clients have been jailed for hunting in illegal areas. There are now signs warning you not to hunt geese in the airports where visiting wing shooters clear their firearms.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Adventure Consultants:
Goose hunting was banned or severely limited in manyh areas of Argentina several years ago. As far as I know the ban remains in place. The government banned the shooting of these birds in all of the productive counties in the country in order to protect a sub-species of the Magellan goose called the Cauquén Colorado (Chloephaga rubidiceps) that made the endangered species list.

Most of the old hot-spot areas are included in these conservation regulations. The prohibition was declared in the provinces of Rio Negro, Buenos Aires, Chubut and Santa Cruz. These provinces encompass the migrational corridor extending from the mountainous through the Atlantic zones.

Some local farmers still welcome American hunters to hunt on their land in an attempt to ease the destruction of their crops, since it is no longer legal for them to poison the birds. But now it is against the law for anyone to shoot Ashyhead or Magellan geese in any county that they frequent because the protected goose is said to flock with them, and could accidentally be shot.

Some outfitters will still book goose hunts in Argentina, but be careful. The government is deadly serious about enforcing the law and several outfitters and their clients have been jailed for hunting in illegal areas. There are now signs warning you not to hunt geese in the airports where visiting wing shooters clear their firearms.

WHOOPS!!! THANKS FOR THAT TIP...... CRYBABY cuckoo

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dagnab it !!! That was on my bucket list .... Frowner However the list is still very long ... I'll go on to the next .... tu2

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of paia
posted Hide Post
I did not know that had happened either. I hunted geese and ducks down there around 2000 and the goose hunting was pretty amazing. The trip was kind of a bust for a few different reasons, but the geese were beautiful and there were a lot of them.

Posts: 16 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Here are the primary geese of Argentina.

Magellan Geese are really cool looking, males and females have different coloration.

Ashy-headed Geese are also amazing and both male and female look alike.

Ruddy-headed Geese....are the smallest. They are protected. They look quite a bit different from Ashy-headed.

Argentina waterfowl hunting has taken a big hit. Geese have been shut down in most provinces. I have heard a plethora of reasons as to why Goose hunting was shut down and they range from; political backlash; to outfitters not paying the license fees; to ruddy-headed geese....etc. No one really knows the exact reason.

If you go for waterfowl there is limitation of which species of ducks you can bring back to the states for taxidermy.

I miss the old Argentina Frowner Dove shooting however is still the best.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The duck hunting is still the best I have seen anywhere in the world.

Posts: 12000 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote