Find
Notify
Tools

Talking about jaguars...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Today I received a phone call from a friend who owns a big property in Paraguay, he told me that the man in charge in the farm told him that a jaguar has been roaming around the cattle near the house, footprints everywhere and that they have heard it...(anyone know what noise makes a jaguar bewildered)

The order was: "shoot that thing before starts to kill my cows.."

Hunting jaguars is forbidden but it's a normal thing between the farmworkers(when they can). Why all the fun for them bewildered

Does anyone knows if they come to a dead bait just as leopards ??

I am a full day driving from here... Big Grin
But as you know is not allowed to do it Frowner

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you find a fresh killed animal, you can wait for the tigre at night with great chance os success. They usually cover the dead cow with leaves and small bushes.

Don´t know about placing a dead bait, never done it, but I´ll try to find more info about it.

In portuguese, the sound that the jaguar makes is called "esturro". I have some recordings at home, I´ll post them here ASAP. It looks like the noise domestic cats make when they are in heat, but a lot more scarying.

If there are fresh tracks, a good set of hounds ( Fox hounds are great) should be right, as they bay the cat up in a tree. I do not recommend using any kind of grabbing dog, just hounds, or the jaguar will kill them and will not stay bayed.

Good luck !

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from a hunting week in La Pampa....so if I go there my surviving chances are not good...if the jaguar don't kill me my wife will do it hillbilly

BTW, she has just told me that we are waiting another baby !!! dancing

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Ok Lorenzo, first of all, congrats !! New hunter coming aboard, you must be very happy !

Did a little talking with the olders guys, at the gun club. Right, they said that if you could find the dead animal untill 12 or so hours after, the chance of the jaguar returning is very high. Just wait, in a very tall tree (at least 3 or 4 meters high), with enough gun, and be quick when you turn the flashlight on, they don´t like it at all, and probaly will jump in a second and disappear.

Never wait for the beast in the ground, you will not hear it arriving, only when the cat starts messing with the carcass you will notice it´s there. If possible, wait in a straight up tall tree, use tree steps to climb it.

If you find the dead animal with leaves and bushes on top, hiding it, it´s "almost" for sure the big cat will come back again. As soon as the dark comes, the cat in stripes come in too.

If you can´t find any tree to climb up, and do not want to miss the chance, you can move the carcass a little bit (not to much), and then wait in a tree.

All the guys agreed in one point : never wait for it in the ground !

As for the noises, couldn´t find them yet. But I will.

See you,

Reiter.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Last year I visited a man in Asunción who has killed himself 24 jaguars. He told me that the worst hunt was one that he and an asistant (farmworker)waited for the cat inside a hole they have done near the carcass.

They were protected by a huge wood table without legs that was specially builded for that purpose so it has in the inside to handles to keep it in place with your own hands for protection.

The worker was ordered to turn on the flashlight at his signal. He do it, the gun went BANG (308 win) the last thing this man remembered was a big roar and the jaguar coming their way.

The farmworker got so frightened that he went deep into the hole so it was impossible to do a second shot.

He told me that he grab the table from the inside while the tiger (as they call them) was roaring and dying outside.

If the story was true or not I don't know but he looks as a serious man and his house was full of jaguars skins. His gun was just a plain remington in 308 with an old leupold scope.

My friend, the owner of the farm where the jaguar is roaming around the cattle near the house bought a lever action rifle in 357 mag and he is very confident with it to kill the big cat. Thanks God the possibilities of this chap seeing the jaguar are very remote as he is not a hunter.

L

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Talking about jaguars... hillbilly

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Ah...the old timer Tigreros !!!!

thumb

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I can tell you how problem jaguars are hunted in Nicaragua. The hunter and his "secretary" stand in water at the beach or river as far into the water as possible at night. The secretary makes a call like a male jaguar fighting call.The jaguar will charge into the water toward the sound of the call.
It is truly a one shot deal or things get interesting real fast. I can get the details of the sound that brings them in from some friends that have experience.

Ed clap

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

I zipped 2 .wmv files , with the jaguar sounds, and upload them at rapidshare.com.

Here is the download link, hope you enjoy :

http://rapidshare.com/files/105964695/jaguar.rar.html

Do not know if they are any good for hunting purposs.

Regards,

Reiter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of this talk about big fierce jaguars is driving me nuts .. (I'm going gopher hunting in Saskatchewan on Friday .. Roll Eyes) Anyone who can whack a running puma in bad light will be a force to reckon with on a roaring jaguar .... beer That is fantastic news about a new Gianola coming ... thumb Have a great day, amigo and say hi to your lady from Margaret and I.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reiter:
Talking about jaguars... hillbilly

Excellent pics, Reiter !!

They have all the strenght of those amazing characters of a long gone era, the tigreros !!

Thanks for sharing them thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote