New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives for pig hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been following post on pig hunting in Argentina and most of the knives pictured are bowies or doble edged daggers.(I may be wrong)

Why you do not use the classical "criollo" knife? Is it now good?

Those are some of my knives, a original Sheffield (stolen from my father in law.LOL), a "criollo" knife not used yet. And my Puma bowie (I took a little pig with it).

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the pig part of the forum and search , especially posts with JuanPozzi. In general as I understand the knife should have a 8-12" blade with substantial guard and strong point.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I think all knives are as good as their user... our gauchos used, use and will use their criollo style knives in such ways that we might tend to think their design is just perfect ... but the truth is that they have a whole life of practice behind, reaching a level of ability I won't ever have (thou I consider myself quite good Wink and continue learning something everyday )

As said a substantial guard is desired, and with your hands slippery because of mud and blood, I am sure sooner or later your fingers will appreciate this minor detail Big Grin

A strong point is something good for a rather easy penetration, and the shape of it (rather drop point, bowie) might be a preference based on how you might "puncture" the pig, the angle of your lunge knife

Knife design is something personal, like speaking about proper caliber needed... many of them will surely kill, but some are specifically designed for that task - now much is based on the indian rather than on the arrow Wink

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pig sticking is big here in New Zealand. Various magazines in fact dedicated to it!

check out these knives:
http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/knives2.htm

Chris NZ

Posts: 26 | Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand | Registered: 05 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers.
Afrikaander
quote:
our gauchos used, use and will use their criollo style knives in such ways that we might tend to think their design is just perfect ... but the truth is that they have a whole life of practice behind, reaching a level of ability I won't ever have

A very good point, one of my friends to “hunted†a vizcacha and kills three posums with his knife (I saw him!)
“As said a substantial guard is desired, and with your hands slippery because of mud and blood, I am sure sooner or later your fingers will appreciate this minor detail â€
Another good point, believe me I know this.LOL

Chris,
Thanks for the info.

Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin,yes most of the gauchos use criollos knives for hunting,indeed i believe 95 percent of the thousands of hogs killed are killed with common facones ,indeed i killed my first hog with a facon ,but I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE NOT THE BEST FOR THIS TASK ,i saw many broken,another stacked in a boar that run away with it and was killed with mmy GLOCK,and i saw many hands injured,I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ,NEOPRENE,OR KRATON,OR RUBBER IN THE HANDLES,in my last knife had if i wouldnt be using a cold steel recon i would injure my hand because i put the knife with all my force into the shoulder bone.In our country the best are YARARAS cheap and strong.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Here in Brasil, Corneta KnifeMakers came with a nice design, done by a Custom knifesmith.

All forged, kraton handle, hollow ground blade, 51200 steel, 7,5" long (may be a little small)
Looks like a Trailmaster, but a little cheaper.

I didn´t sticked mine into a pig, but it have seen lots of abuse for almost 2 years now, and is still very sharp I could skin and animal.

Some pics :

And this is mine (pic taken a while ago):

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,
Thanks for the answer.
Considering your experience I will have to find another knive just in case I need it .LOL
Yarara knives looks good but which one is the best for pighunting?
I like the Tanto II but guard (tsuba) is too small IMHO.

Reiter,
The Wotan look wonderfull!
BTW: love this little skiner!

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
These are my specific Wink pig stickers....

The muela podenquero

and the yarara chanchero

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander,
I love this chanchero knife.
Thanks I have just contact a gunshop to know if they have it.
Also found and old blade at home from a knife made by Fabricaciones Militares in Rosario for comandos (not for "paracaidistas"). Do you know how good it is?
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about which one are you talking about ... any pic?

The chanchero is unbeatable considering its price... the only very minor "downside" I might consider it to have is concerning its guard, which is not as straight as I would have desired (I like guards that keep your hand away from the blade every time no matter how you perform your "lunge"), it is just my own & personal impression, nevertheless it performs just wonderful - just hold it tight when stabbing and no problem should be encountered Cool

Carlos Juarez (yarara's owner, a good friend) told me he is considering to make a luxe edition of the chanchero, with a more straight guards (as the podenquero's) and a handle made form stag antlers... other yarara that is just cooooooool (and trustable) Cool is the comando (I have one as my all purpose knife, always in my hunting pack Cool

http://www.pulish-met.com/negro.htm

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africaander,
I will search for the chanchero.
I found many picture with the guard you do not like (neither me) and one with a different guard:

This is the knife I was talking about (only the blade remains)

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I am afraid you might know more about that FMAP DM AB200 knife than I do .... if I recall correctly they were called "cuchillo de monte" and were considered as rather good knives... Buuuut Cool at least (and not last !) you might be able to "feel" its performance no matter what we might know or been told about it... for an all around knife I look for the best compromise between sturdiness and sharpness, since it will be used for rather rough tasks ....

As I stated, my own all around knife is a yarara comando ... which has its own legion of followers - as well as detractors (the latter based on the first versions, now much improved)...

Now, I had used my yarara comando in almost every "not very delicate" Wink way of using it thayt you can imagine - as an axe, a spade, a handsaw - aswell as a (rough) knife Big Grin , always performing in a more than satisfactory way Cool Big Grin thumb - and is still with me in perfect conditions, always in my camelbak - ready to be used when needed !

To cut a long story short, in our country knives for the military are object of some "ambivalent" opinions Mad Roll Eyes ... be your own judge of that piece (since you and only you know about your ability with knives - how, where, when you will use it, and what to expect from it) and then, if it deserves your confidence, stick to it !

BTW, that's a much better version of the chanchero the pic you posted ! I see that they sell it in Santa Rosa, closer to you than Bs As... call them and if they have that very same model, buy it without any doubt !!

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Here is how your knife looked like brand new

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Checking in my archives, it appears that the AB0200 was made with 9260 steel ... considering that the Domingo Matheu was closed some 15 years ago, what you have can be considered as a collector's piece Wink ... put some nice handle on it and enjoy it !

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the knife.
I take the grip out because it was unbalanced and them fogot it until some time ago.
I will finish it this week.
I used it to finish an axis deer some years ago and I rememder that works just fine.
Unfortunately is not a colector item any more, but I will put a palo santo grip.
I will contact those people at Santa Rosa to get a Chachero, I love how it looks.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Godio:
(...)
Unfortunately is not a colector item any more, but I will put a palo santo grip.
(...)

Not as a whole knife, but the blade has its own value !

I love the greenish vein (and smell) of the palo santo thumb !

Don't forget to post some pictures when finished

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knives, excellent discussion. Perhaps I should have brought the Yarara that Afrikaander gave me for a gift last time down. But I am saving its loss of virginity for a kill here.

One day I will purchase a knife intended for pig sticking. I looked at a few while in Cordoba, and was tempted. The knives I have used are of Bowies, one by Muela - 8.5" blade, and this latest kill was with one by Rigid - 9" blade. The handle material is not good for the purpose as they are quite slick, both having polished wooden grips. But they both have excellent guards and worked just fine.

I looked at a muela podenquero and was sorely tempted. Now regreting I did not buy it. Next time.

I will try to post a photo of mine tomorrow. knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be criticized, but I still rate a custom knife made with the old "fazon de artillería" (artillery machete) signed Kirschbaum, like the best tool the world has seen (or will see, for that matter). Hard to hone, indeed, but... Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
I may be criticized, but I still rate a custom knife made with the old "fazon de artillería" (artillery machete) signed Kirschbaum, like the best tool the world has seen (or will see, for that matter). Hard to hone, indeed, but... Wink

I agree with You Ricardo thumb , Mine is a shortened version of the Artillery Machete Mod. 1891, I shortened it, re-sharpened and made a new lathe made custom grip.
Tomorrow I will post some pictures.No body until now.... thumbdown want to prove their beautifull knives animal againt my Monster (Hamer (Knock) one againts the other) or make my torture test.Rgs Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Guille. Your monster is one ugly piece of steel. But I know that it will work well. When we go to Zimbabwe, I will back you up when you go in to kill a buffalo with it. And, if you lose, it will be mine. dancing

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I tested ,one yarara knife since ,an airassault daga specifically ,handed it to members of USMC ,and local swat teams and never fail to me some of the designs of yarara are very good and unbeatable for the price ,isent many photos to Carlos Juarez of what i like ,we dont wont to carry really heavy knives in swamps ,jungles or in horseback ,but the wide edge is like a big caliber produce a faster kill and permits a bit of mistake,small daggers as gerbermk2 or yarara assault dagger are only for experts .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Following Africaander advise I bought two Yarara knives, a Chanchero and a Kerambit.
Im still waiting for them (Ezequiel promise to send then this week).
I will post them as soon as they arrived.
Then will have to use them Wink.LOL.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Both Juan and me have a Kerambit Cool , just for personal defense Wink ... thou I never used it (yet ! perhaps the next "piqueteros" gathering in Plaza de Mayo will provide me the opportunity Wink or better still I might happen to be near that MF of D'elia Mad , being himself the ideal media to test the kerambit combat aptitudes !

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an F.Dick sticking knife with a custom made sheath from Australia.
It's a no fuss, solid working knife and the sheath is very sturdy and lightweight.

No as nice to look at as the knives in this post, but many proffessionals across Australia use it to make a living.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Martin Godio, watch your kerambit's sheath since it might need some proper adjusment .... I almost lost mine due to the minor free space the sheath has, which makes the kerambit move loosely inside it... move loosely till almost drop !

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Reiter & Express, those are very nice knives!

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
In a cople of day they will be home (I hope) and I will see. Keep in contact so I can ask you. Wink.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reiter; I have a "Corneta" Machete Made in Germany, I didnt found something better that it,
Express: Doesnt mare how It looks, the real thing is How its perform!!! Wait to see my ugly Pig sticker !!! Really nice Knives, Thanks for Sharing it.

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Beautiful knives, excellent discussion. Perhaps I should have brought the Yarara that Afrikaander gave me for a gift last time down. But I am saving its loss of virginity for a kill here.

One day I will purchase a knife intended for pig sticking. I looked at a few while in Cordoba, and was tempted. The knives I have used are of Bowies, one by Muela - 8.5" blade, and this latest kill was with one by Rigid - 9" blade. The handle material is not good for the purpose as they are quite slick, both having polished wooden grips. But they both have excellent guards and worked just fine.

I looked at a muela podenquero and was sorely tempted. Now regreting I did not buy it. Next time.

I will try to post a photo of mine tomorrow. knife

The one you have is the Yarara aviador, my friend, like a small bowie ...

Make it taste his first blood soon Wink and tell us about your whole impressions with some pics of the fortunate prey included Big Grin ...

Hope you will find it of your pleasure thumb !

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the advises!!
They just arrived and look impresive!
I have no pig at hand but a piece of meat (un peceto mechado) and it is incredible how easy the Chanchero cut it. Wink

I will watch the Keramby sheath but it looks good.

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice !!!, perhaps I will ask one for me to the gunshop, Thanks for sharing.Guille.

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
I saw a custom Knife today, that seems to cut a pig like butter.

Forged from a file, here it is:

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice !!!, Perfect for a Tapir dize, je,je, Thanks for Sharing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my latest.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin Godio:
Thanks to all for the advises!!
They just arrived and look impresive!
I have no pig at hand but a piece of meat (un peceto mechado) and it is incredible how easy the Chanchero cut it. Wink

I like this knife I found it on the web site but as I do not know Spanish I was unable to navigate the site. How much does it cost, and how can the company be contacted for purchase.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Here is my latest.

Now that is a knife! knife Beautiful. Who made it? bewildered

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiter:
I saw a custom Knife today, that seems to cut a pig like butter.

Forged from a file, here it is:

Another beauty...it looks like a sword... knife How long is the blade?

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Here is my latest.

Now that is a knife! knife Beautiful. Who made it? bewildered

It is made by NuMade, and sold by Canada Knives. It is well made with a 9.5 blade of 440 stainless, it is a heavy knife particullarly suited for choping and will subsitute quite well for a machette or small hatchet. Anything stuck with it is not long for this world. It is made in China but not marked so. It is well made in spite of it's orgin, and cost me $90 with shipping. It took 56 days to get it though, and the people selling them are not the easiest to deal with. They are acutioning them on ebay as well. I think the knife looks better in person than in that picture.