Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun hunting in Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I have been asked by a few members if it is possible to hunt with a handgun in Argentina.
And the answer is a positive yes. Taking your handgun to Argentina presents no problem.

My personal preference is the 45 Colt cartridge in my single action Bowen Ruger. But a .44 Magnum or any of the Thomson Contender types would work very well indeed.

The outfitter and guide I would recommend is Juan Pozzi with huntinginargentina@hotmail.com

My reasons for that recommendation are simple. For one he is an active handgun shooter, hunts with handguns, and knows what is needed to be successful. For another, I have hunted with him on three occasions and can recommend him with no hesitation. As those of you who hunt with handguns know, this is a different hunt and it is best to have a guide who is familiar with hunting in this manner.

A boar with my Bowen Ruger......

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
You say it's no problem to bring in a handgun. So what does it take? Assuming the declaration of firearms before leaving stateside, mordita for Argy military or police, what else?

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
No mordita.....if you get your permit, as I do, from the Argentine consulate nearest you, they will charge you $40.00 for processing, for all of the firearms declared and listed.

Once in country at the airport you will pay a fee of $75.00 (last I heard) per firearm. That's it.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to travel with your ammo in their boxes and at a distance from your handguns, that´s about all. And no "mordida", not "mordita" like you said.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Hey, I've never learned "proper" Espanol. My language lessons were from Mexican workers who also taught me how cuss while we were having cold Coronas after work.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Well done, Bill !!!
And indeed done with class ! Cool

Hey 475Guy1, corruption is a two way path - here in Argentina as well as it is in any part of this world ...and if you do your things properly there is no need for you to offer any bribe to any custom officer, nor reason for him to ask you for any "contribution"

BTW, I like the term "mordita" ... it has a sort of cosa nostra implication Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander. Years ago in Mexico "Mordida" was the ticket to many things - it was like a good grease, smoothing the way. Whenever I would land in Hermosillo, or any other Mexican airport, two or three dollars to the customs man and I was on my way. Most gringos do not understand the use of mordida, and in some cases is not actually a bribe - but a custom.
But in Argentina I never found it practiced.

Today I took your Yarara in to have the blade sharpened. To get ready for my mule deer. I like a blade so sharp that when you look at it you bleed! clap

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
That sort of accustomed payment to introduce ourselves Roll Eyes is what we call a "contribution" ... and I have to recognize that I sometimes practice it by myself in some small cities where I have to do all paper work to transport the meat I obtain of my hunts... but with a slight and important difference: I only (and only) do contribute this way when I feel the need to help, and believe me that police in these small towns lack of everything, including greed thumb ... I do contribute when I feel that my contribution will be used to improve things, not as an act of corruption ... since then I will just be an accessory before, at and after the fact Frowner ... with no right to complain about a situation I helped to take place ...

Give that Yarara your best shot, Bill !! It is intended to withstand most abuse (it is our chopper pilots' survival knife)... Hope you will enjoy its performance ... please keep me updated !!

Un fuerte abrazo
Martin

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
You know what, I just might be tempted to go down there and whack a few critters. Maybe meet up with a couple of you characters while down there. I know they have lots of wine down there, but do they have really good beer?

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hey !! This is Argentina !!! Big Grin

We have good wines, good beer, good chics Wink , good critters to whack Cool, and good asados to taste !!

Even Lorenzo can testify about that Big Grin

Seriously speaking, I do wish to meet you soon, 475Guy1 Wink

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Please see my water buffalo with a 44 magnum at the handgun hunting forum .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy1:
You know what, I just might be tempted to go down there and whack a few critters. Maybe meet up with a couple of you characters while down there. I know they have lots of wine down there, but do they have really good beer?

Really good beer? If you like a good dark beer, a stout for example, not only good. Excellent. beer

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good buffalo Juan!
If you ever want to try some .44 LBT LFN (308 grains) I can send you some. Not the original but almost identical from a mould made by De Lucas (at Buenos Aires).
I finished many axis deer and blackbuck with them and it was amazing how they works.
Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martín: please post some pictures of your double rifles and their boxes. Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nainital,
I have only two black powder double rifles, a W.Richards in 577 Snider and a Kodiak 58muzzleloader.

No problem I will post some pictures soon on double rifle forum for you.

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin you are welcomed,i hunted a lot of buffalos when i was younger and i dreamed of being another SELOUS ,in that time nobody cares a lot of them ,and a racher made me to kill a lot so i tested every type of weapon and bullet ,after that guiding i gained more experience even with bow ,sometimes im dissapointed because local hunters dont appreaciat the buffalo ,but over the years i have had very exiting charges ,and real difficult expeditions .I put more andrenaline in these hunts when i used my dogos you cant imagine the charges at 10 mts in the water ,i guided GUILLERMO AMESTOY an exrifle shooter national champion in 2 of these safaris and he couldnt believe the figts ,the run with the horses and then the surgical shot you must do ,Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA