New
Find
Notify
Tools

New firearm restrictions for Argentina
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It looks like it might have just gotten a little more trouble to bring your gun with you hunting in Argentina. From the SCI email alerts:

Argentina Changes Process for Travelling With Firearms
SCI has learned that effective 1-1-08, the consulate for Argentina now requires fingerprints before travelling to Argentina with a firearm. This means that if you are an American citizen and you are scheduled to hunt in Argentina, you will have to show up in person at one of the 7 consulates throughout the United States and submit your paperwork and fingerprints at that time. The consulates are in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., Houston, Miami and D.C. If you live too far away from one of these cities and cannot make it in to give fingerprints, your firearm will not be allowed. We will keep you posted.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have written to friends in Argentina to find out more about this, and I am sure the question will come up with the folks who come to the SCI show next week....ludicrous.... Roll Eyes But let's wait and see.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to check here in Argentina, but nothing at the moment, I think this bad news can be true, but.……lets see both faces of the same coin:
If you apply in the Argentina embassy in USA, according to this new disposition they will ask your fingerprints, according to SCI alerts this disposition began 1-1-08.
But y you bring straight down to Argentina your weapons, and pay the tax and complete the paper work in your arrival point, should not be a problem, unless otherwise RENAR is giving wrong information in their official site. I will add that most of the hunters that bring there weapons, send us previously their personal and gun data, and here we fill up the forms, pay the tax to do the things smother for the visitor. May be some news are not properly informed by Argentina authorities, remember that the embassies have their own inner rules, and this could be one to cover themselves just in case. Never the less, lets see and wait….. Hoping all will continue in a normal way.
Take a look at the official web page of RENAR National Registry of Weapons http://www.renar.gov.ar/english/turista/turista.asp notice in the information for tourists where it says:
The entry to and exit from the country by FOREIGNERS or ARGENTINIANS SETTLED ABROAD bearing firearms will be made by submitting the following documents:

CONSULAR PERMIT
Individuals who wish to go into the country with one or more firearms and their ammunition, with the proposal to perform hunting activity, sporting shooting or other legitimate purpose, will have to submit application at the origin country argentine consulate, holding the equivalent legal possess authorization extended by the local authority, identification document or passport, requiring the applicable "temporary authorization and temporary possess permit" of corresponding material, during their stay in Argentina.
If the tourist arrived at Argentina without the "temporary authorization and temporary possess permit", drawn up by the argentine consulate, the Police authority that takes part will give the applicable temporary authorization and temporary possess permit during the stay in the country, ad-referendum of the National Registry of Firearms.The temporary authorization and temporary possess permit, duly signed and stamped by the local Police authority, will enable the tourist who will stay temporary at Argentina, to possess, transport and use the firearms and ammunition for the legitimate activity and during the authorized time period.
When leaving the country, the individual will have to apply at the competent Policy authority, which will verify the exit of the corresponding firearms and alive ammunition and will keep the temporary authorization and temporary possess permit. If any temporary introduced firearm left, the individual will have to justify that circumstance with the due documents.

quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
It looks like it might have just gotten a little more trouble to bring your gun with you hunting in Argentina. From the SCI email alerts:

Argentina Changes Process for Travelling With Firearms
SCI has learned that effective 1-1-08, the consulate for Argentina now requires fingerprints before travelling to Argentina with a firearm. This means that if you are an American citizen and you are scheduled to hunt in Argentina, you will have to show up in person at one of the 7 consulates throughout the United States and submit your paperwork and fingerprints at that time. The consulates are in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., Houston, Miami and D.C. If you live too far away from one of these cities and cannot make it in to give fingerprints, your firearm will not be allowed. We will keep you posted.

Posts: 74 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I will rent my gun in Argentina. I have had more problems with airlines handling my firearms the more I travel. I expect the occassional lost bag, but I have a couple of rifles that I can't easily replace since they were crafted by fine gunsmiths who have passed on to happier hunting grounds.

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Using my own (left-hand) guns is a major component on my hunts. Renting or borrowing a strange gun is like borrowing someone else's underwear. It may handle the job, but you're never really comfortable. Frowner

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
George. Referring to Alberto's post above, it appears that one need not go to the consulate first. I will check this further in Reno, and will ask SCI's legal staff in Washington DC to look into this as well.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Using my own (left-hand) guns is a major component on my hunts. Renting or borrowing a strange gun is like borrowing someone else's underwear. It may handle the job, but you're never really comfortable. Frowner

George

A very graphic Big Grin and perfect example... but seems that travelling with own guns will be the exception not the rule in the incoming future ... it appears we will have to choose in between the less worse alternative Frowner, hunting with hired/borrowed guns or no hunting at all

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, then that given country doesn't really want my business. i guess i'll only hunt where it can be done somewhat conveniently. if not, then well, that's what god made texas for.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I think it will all iron out. Argentina has been a big hunting destination and I don't think they want International business or hunting to go away. Most likely some wires need uncrossing and all will be fine. We're still going ahead with plans to send hunters down for doves, waterfowl and big game.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of hunting there ,but if this comes to light I gess I will never hunt
in that Country.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Do not be discouraged. Argentina remains a mcuh favored destination.....I am at the SCI Convention in Reno right now. I have spoken to four very experienced Argentine outfitters and this is not accuate. You can still bring your firearms with to Argentina, complete all the forms upon arrival, and import your firearms.

All have told me that they never advise their clients to do the paper work in the U.S. before leaving. One told me that they had clients hunting in Argentina right now who had no difficulty bringing their firearms with and clearing tham at the airport.

I am going to ask the man with SCI responsible in this area to post a clarification on the SCI news letter site.

More will follow before this convention ends....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I'm not a leftie like George, but my rifles are a big part of my hunting experience too. I will hunt where we are both welcome.

It sounds like this is getting clarified and my group will still be heading to Argentina next spring...........

Thanks to everyone that has/is helping with this.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
As i told you nothing happened ,and here nobody knows about it i was at Cordoba airport and nobody is getting trouble.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
So far no one knows nothing for sure, not even at official levels Confused (thou the ones I talked to are second level foreing affairs' officials), which is something normal in this burocracy Roll Eyes ... but seems that not only these fingerprints can be taken in the Arg consulates but also in Ezeiza airport aswell, so apparently everything can be done upon the arrival to Argentina coffee (so is my interpretation so far...)

We will have to wait for the complementary legal norms that have to be dictated to give these new "rules and regulations" Eeker their exact range of "scope" ...

I will post any news on this matter

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is just a new revenue stream for the embassy and consulates.

I remember how our visas for Tanzania were expedited by paying a $50 'fee' at the consulate in NYC. Roll Eyes

George

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Perhaps it is just a new revenue stream for the embassy and consulates. George

George. You may be correct. None of the Argentine outfitters here have the slightest concern, and I understand that Hunt Report has clarified the question as well.

Theodore Roosevelt

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill.

What about ammunition headstamps matching the rifle?

George

posted Hide Post
I was living for 6 months in Buenos Aeries 1996 and to get a gun permit they took my fingerprints at the local police station = no big deal to it.
This is also the fact for any tourist now visiting the USA, so if you live in Texas stay there as the rest of the worlds moved on a bit since the Alamo.

Posts: 7 | Location: bavaria, germany | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote