Find
Notify
Tools

Leverguns and red stag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Has anyone here taken their big-bore lever gun to Argentina for red stag? What did you use and how did it work out? I know something like an iron-sighted Winchester 95 in .405 would have plenty of power for this, but would the limited range -- under 150 yards or so -- severely curtail shot opportunities?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon, Bill. I took a stag with my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 several years ago. I was younger then and carrying a heavy rifle all day was not an issue. I was shooting BP cartridge and iron sights. I did this in the Pampas where shots are normally closer than what you may see in the Patagonia areas. I never felt at a disadvantage; I just knew I had to get closer. I shot him at about 50 yards.

Until age started messing with my vision, I never felt at a disadvantage with an iron sighted lever gun on any game. For many years all I hunted with was a lever gun or a Shiloh Sharps. If you want to hunt with a lever gun, get with some of the outfitter/guides on here that know their areas and tell them what you want to do. I am sure they can get you on a stag; especially during the brahma (roar).

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi bill, how are you? In my place the averege shot is 60 yard. We have a lot bush and calden tree, Long shots are not a chance. that i why the hunter love the red stag hunting in La Pampa because you need be realy close the the stag to can make ahot.
This year we shot an stag with 416... the only problem is that the big bore rifle are prety heavy to walk long distances.

Do not hesitate in contact me if you need more info about our hunts.

Thanks Martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Martin, I sent you a PM.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill in the bush like LA Pampa ,its perfectly adecuated ,i killed some stags with my 4570 guide gun .On the other side in our marvelous Andes mountains the long shots are common ,you need a bit more trajectory .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dr. Pozzi!

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Bill- I hunted in Las Pampas in April and we had stags within 15 yards. I was told the "average" shooting distance was 100-200 yards, but ended up taking my stag at 320 yards with a Ruger #1 single shot (30'06-scoped).

I love lever guns too, but if I were to return there with one I'd probably bring my Model 99 Savage (.308 Winchester) with a 2-7x scope just in case the above average animal presents a longer than "average" shot. tu2

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Bill, at the end it is just upto you... knowing your rifle and your abilities to shoot it, the kind of challenge assumed when you decided where to hunt and how really wild your potential preys would be, and thus your own abilities as a hunter, a stag can perfectly be taken with a "Teddy Roosevelt 's rifle" Cool

La Pampa will be the place, with its thick bush that often makes us to hunt using our ears rather than our eyes, resulting then in a rather close shot (sometimes even guessing the figure of our prey, hidden by the bush and seeing it just partially), where a heavy bullet is the proper alternative to make its way through the chosen destiny without been deflected by any of the many branches or other obstacles this bullet will find on its way there Big Grin - with the needed respect and responsibility both hunter and prey deserves in these situations...

Whenever I go to La Pampa, my Marlin 1895 is the chosen rifle, although my firsts trophies there where taken with a .375 H&H, but we always look for a kind of "combo" (combination Big Grin, that is rifle, zone, prey, time) that would make us feel really satisfied whether we finally take a trophy or not, at least if not taken as one has intended to do... you know what I mean Cool even more when you are speaking about using iron sights which will limited you even more tu2, a true challenge

That said, you can also look for your challenge in the Patagonia - thou there odds would rather be against you, concerning all the costs you will have to pay to come down here...

The kind of challenge you will then seek for, will need its proper scenario to be settled. And your rifle and the way you choose to use it is part of that scenario...

Now, if you want to cover all bases, as Juan said, perhaps another caliber with better ballistic would be a more suitable option... but, would it be as challenged as you need ?

Your hunt, your options, your cost, your challenge, your satisfaction... that is what a hunt means when we are there with ourselves and no one else, with the pride up high we bring back when we return home, with those memories we treasure and sometimes share Wink

All the luck whatever you decide tu2

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, just like using an open-sighted double in Africa, you may have to pass on some opportunities, but you'll do fine. I went with 5 rifle hunters and 2 bowhunters, and we all took Stags, Blackbuck, Sheep, etc.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put a nice ghost ring peepsight on that double.
The rainbow trajectory types [ I hate that term] ? My 45-70s are good for 1" at least. If you have to hold over 6" or 12" to get to 200 yds or so it's not that difficult .Don't psych yourself out !! BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree w afrikaander.
Challenge is our more precious aspect of the hunt. If u are used and confortable with such rifle u have green light to bring it and hit the woods with it. The situation would be different if u are willing to come w a small/sniper caliber. That would be an energy constrain which is something to be discussed but having a bigger bore for La Pampa woods wont present any problem at all.
We receive muzzle loaders hunters from Jim shockey hunting adventures and they perfom very well at the woody areas. Balckbucks at open space will be a problem for slow and heavy bullets but thats another game.
We can contact u with jimbo's hunting manager if u want to check further aspects of the hunt.
Let us know.

quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
Bill, at the end it is just upto you... knowing your rifle and your abilities to shoot it, the kind of challenge assumed when you decided where to hunt and how really wild your potential preys would be, and thus your own abilities as a hunter, a stag can perfectly be taken with a "Teddy Roosevelt 's rifle" Cool

La Pampa will be the place, with its thick bush that often makes us to hunt using our ears rather than our eyes, resulting then in a rather close shot (sometimes even guessing the figure of our prey, hidden by the bush and seeing it just partially), where a heavy bullet is the proper alternative to make its way through the chosen destiny without been deflected by any of the many branches or other obstacles this bullet will find on its way there Big Grin - with the needed respect and responsibility both hunter and prey deserves in these situations...

Whenever I go to La Pampa, my Marlin 1895 is the chosen rifle, although my firsts trophies there where taken with a .375 H&H, but we always look for a kind of "combo" (combination Big Grin, that is rifle, zone, prey, time) that would make us feel really satisfied whether we finally take a trophy or not, at least if not taken as one has intended to do... you know what I mean Cool even more when you are speaking about using iron sights which will limited you even more tu2, a true challenge

That said, you can also look for your challenge in the Patagonia - thou there odds would rather be against you, concerning all the costs you will have to pay to come down here...

The kind of challenge you will then seek for, will need its proper scenario to be settled. And your rifle and the way you choose to use it is part of that scenario...

Now, if you want to cover all bases, as Juan said, perhaps another caliber with better ballistic would be a more suitable option... but, would it be as challenged as you need ?

Your hunt, your options, your cost, your challenge, your satisfaction... that is what a hunt means when we are there with ourselves and no one else, with the pride up high we bring back when we return home, with those memories we treasure and sometimes share Wink

All the luck whatever you decide tu2

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds perfect for the 375 Winchester, or atleast a 3030 Smiler

WL

Posts: 63 | Location: N.E Vic- Awwstraya | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
I know it's not the caliber you stated..... but I did take a red stag with a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. One good shot at 120 was all it took. He ran about 40 yds. It would not be not be my first choice today, but at the time it was what I had avilable. I would not hesitate to use it again if need be.

Posts: 44 | Location: League city, TX | Registered: 21 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken stags with a .30/30 and had perfect success. I am now carrying a 92 carbine in .44-40.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we killed 27 stags this season ,after the season i took a selective with Juans marlin guide gun 4570 and a clean shot .the shot was at 56 mts in the bush near Quehue town LA PAMPA where we guide red stag hunting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a very good friend that has a ranch in Argentina, and he sells ranches in Argentina or used to...The hunting there is great...I borrowed and old worn out Win. SRC in 30-30 Win with 170 gr. Rem corelokts factory ammo and it worked fine for me..The stag are not much bigger than a large mule deer buck on his place.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote