Find
Notify
Tools

NRA Whittington Center
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
This may not be the "appropriate" forum site to post this on, but I do so at the request of my Argentine friends.

The NRA Whittington Center is located just west of Raton, New Mexico. A world class facility that encompasses 33,300 acres ranging from 6100 to 8300 feet; from the rolling plains of northern New Mexico, to pine covered mountains.

The property has many shooting ranges for all aspects of the shooting sports including silhouette, long range out to 1,000 yards, black powder, trap, skeet, sporting clays, and five stand.

The habitat accommodates black bear, elk, mule deer and pronghorn, and hunts are offered each year.

In the visitor center and main office they have built a firearm museum that is truly very well done.

To accommodate shooters, there are cabins for rent and extensive competitor housing at very reasonable rates.

For any of the readers who reside stateside it is a facility well worth a visit.

I was there for four days the first week in June and enjoyed it. I have visited on several occasions in the past, and in 1999 my daughter Jessica was fortunate to take a beautiful bull elk there. I put her name in for a hunt contest and she won!!!!

This trip I took handguns, a shotgun and rifles, and shot over 1200 rounds. I was glad I was alone on the five stand course as it was an embarrassing performance, but great fun.

Jeff Quinn of www.gunblast.com was also there, as were several of the writers who contribute to his website. If you are interested in shooting and especially handguns, it is one of the best.

The group I was with had about 50 or more shooters from all over the U.S., and provided a very generous opportunity to shoot different
guns including many of the excellent Freedom Arms revolvers that were there courtesy of Bob Baker, CEO of the company. Also there was Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel who very generously donated many of his knives for a raffle that was held after the meet to raise funds for shooting related charitable purposes, one item was paying the way for two youngsters to attend the center's adventure camp held each summer.

The NRA is tops in our nation in protecting and defending our rights to own and shoot firearms.

Here are a few photos to give you a taste of what it was like.

Cabins available for rent

The center museum

Long range handgun silhouette range

Pronghorn buck; you will see them frequently

With Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel

Freedom Arms display table

Freedom Arms revolvers with ivory micarta grips

Shooting my GSG-5 .22

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Iwish to be there ,you know i love shooting.THANKS FOR ALL THE EQUIPMENT YOU SENT TO ME.
I hope to compete in IPSC there .THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US IKY IS VERY HAPPY.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. A wonderful place to visit for sure.
Keep up the good work.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote