New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turducken
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I have always been interested in these- boned chicken inside a boned duck, inside a boned turkey. But I have never eaten one. Has anyone ever made one, and how do you de-bone the birds?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that in England these were originally for the wealthy they are available in stores.They may contain more than just three birds. I've never made one but deboning requires a small sharp knife [a typical 5 or 6" boning knife is too large at least for the smaller birds] and lots of patience.With dexterity and experience it's not too difficult.Start practicing with your next chicken.I'm sure you could find details of deboning on the internet or books.,...Now that I did a computer search I see it is readily available here, seems to be a cajun speciality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I live down in South Louisiana and the terducken is a annual holiday feast for us at Christmas. It's too involved to get into it on the forun here, so here's a link that might help you out.

http://www.chefpaul.com/turducken.html

Hope this helps.

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never made one from scratch, but we buy one each year for Thanksgiving. The ones we get are a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken stuffed with cajun sausage. I smoke it for 12 hours over mesquite coals.

...on earth as it is in Texas

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, turducken is pretty good, albeit a bit expensive though. Was going to make one with the ducks we were going to shoot on my hunt in Tenn this January, BUT WAIT!!!! I DIDNT SHOOT A DAMN THING!!! Hence no homemade turducken. What a waste of 36 hours driving round trip.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
gixxer

If it is any solace I don't think many Tennesseans shot many ducks this year either.
On the good side of that if they have a good breeding season, then this year should have much higher returning populations. If . . . IF the weather gets cold enough to drive them on down this season!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Filleting whole birds and stuffing them is a classic French thing that the Cajuns took another step.
You can order a store-bought turduken here http://www.hebertshouston.com/Prices.html but homemade is SO much better.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote