New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reuben casserole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Grease a 7/11 pan + cut up 3 slices of dark rye into 2" cubes to layer on the bottom. Layer 1/2 lb. of thin sliced pastrami or corned beef; cover with sauerkraut + 2 C. of shredded Swiss cheese. Sprinkle 1 tsp.of caraway seeds + some diced dill pickles. Repeat this layering one more time. Cover this with 3 slices of rye bread that have been ground up in the food processor. Make a solution of 1 C. milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 C. 1000 Island dressing, 1/4 C. mustard. Pour over the casserole + bake covered @350 for 45 minutes.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I am a huge Reuben fan, and will have to try this. Must confess I had to look up a 7/11 pan. Turns out it is not something from the convenience store chain, but a standard size. I've only always had 13 by 9's ...
hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I was just repeating the recipe as printed, but I agree with you that my most common casserole dish is the 9/13. Hey, if you have to add a few more ingredients, that's all for the better, IMHO. Big Grin

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, as to building my own Reuben sandwiches, I do all the corned beef, kraut, + Swiss on black rye, using some German import 'delicatessen senf'. I don't do the pickles. After the sandwich is prepped, I do a frying in the skillet along the lines of doing a grilled cheese, using pats of butter every time you flip the sandwich. I have a lot of other heart attack recipes as well. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Dang, you guys have got to stop making me hungry! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a fresh, hot out of the skillet Reuben with an ice-cold beer! tu2