Find
Notify
Tools

Egg noodles?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Who has a favorite recipe? Never have made any.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Me neither, on some cooking things I'm lazy; way too easy to pick up a bag of Skinners wide egg noodles for 99 cents, + they do just fine for a tuna noodle caserole with green peas + sometimes jalapenos.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Oh + don't forget the large can of cream of mushroom soup + grated cheddar/ colby/ jack.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've never made noodles, pasta or dumplings. I try and do/learn some sort of new homemade food thing each winter. These have not made the list yet.

I'm still working on doing the sausage making this season and did accomplish my first sourdough starter and made a heck of a pizza dough with some of it last week.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I am committed as I just ordered a hand-cranked Italian pasta machine from Amazon.
Here is a recipe a friend on another forum sent:

Homemade Pasta Dough
1 1/2 pounds (665g) – 4 servings
7 ounces (200g) all-purpose flour (1 2/3 cups all purpose flour)
7 ounces (200g) semolina (1 1/4 cups semolina)
or 14 ounces (400g) flour
4 large eggs, at room temperature
Mix together the flour and semolina in the bowl of a stand mixer, or mix them up and create a mound on the counter top with a crater in the center. If using a stand mixer, add the eggs to the dough and mix them together with the paddle or dough hook until well mixed. On the counter top, crack the eggs into the center of the flour and semolina. Use your fingers to gradually draw the dry ingredients into the center, mixing them with the eggs. The dough will be hard to mix at first – a pastry scraper will help you draw it all together – but eventually it will come together and be relatively smooth.
Knead the dough with the heel of your hand for at least three minutes until the dough is very smooth. The dough should not feel sticky. If it sticks to your fingers, knead in a small amount of flour, just enough so your fingers come away clean when you pull them away. Wrap the dough and let it sit at room temperature for an hour.
(You can keep the dough for several hours at room temperature.)
To roll out the pasta, on a lightly floured surface, cut the dough into six or eight pieces. Working one piece at a time, fashion each piece into a rough rectangle, then pass it through your pasta machine on the widest setting (usually #1). Fold dough in half or in thirds and pass it through again. Then fold and pass it through one more time.

Continue passing the pasta through the machine, closing down the opening of the rollers a few notches with each pass (and dusting them very lightly with flour or semolina if the dough is sticking) until you’ve reached the desired thickness. Then, if you wish to make fettuccine or spaghetti, use the pasta cutter attachment to cut the sheets into the desired thickness, or cut the pasta by hand on the counter top with a chef’s knife to whatever size strands or shapes you want.

Once rolled, fresh pasta should be dusted with semolina (preferably) or flour to keep it from sticking if you’re not going to cook it right away. You can lay it on a semolina- or flour-dusted baking sheet or linen kitchen towel, until ready to boil. Or drape it over a suspended rolling pin or pasta drying rack until ready to use.

Once you get the hang of making fresh pasta, you can start adding your own touches to it. Experimentation is fun and even pasta that you think looks funny or doesn’t look perfect tastes pretty darned good when tossed with butter or olive oil, fried garlic, crisp bits of bacon, and some hot chili flakes. Actually, now that I mention it, I’m going to have that tonight.

Try adding some chopped fresh herbs or freshly cracked black pepper, or perhaps some saffron to the dough at the beginning, or experiment with different flours, replacing some of the wheat flour with buckwheat or whole wheat flour.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make them for chicken noodle soup the way me mudder made em for me many moons ago.

1 x-large egg for every 3/4 to 1 cup of flour. you have to adjust depending on how things look. Add a teaspoon of water for every egg as well.

add a dash of salt.

mix the whole thing together on a large cutting board or table. Knead until you get a nice round ball of dough. Make sure its not sticky.

get yourself a rolling pin and some wax paper. Put some dough in your hands to roll it into a small round ball. Fold wax paper in half. place dough in middle of wax paper. cover dough with wax paper so its like a sandwich. Flatten dough with your palm of your hand.

Roll dough out real thin. Carefully peel off wax paper. spread a little flour on table . put flat dough on top of flour to put a very thin coat of flour on flat dough. roll up dough. cut very thin slices of dough. when done shake up slices into noodles. lightly boil in water until done. serve in bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I make them for chicken noodle soup the way me mudder made em for me many moons ago.

My favorite-just as my mom made them for us! Difference was that my mom made the noodles thick. Yours sounds like a similar recipe, but thinner noodles. Nothing like those thick homemade noodles in a freshly made homemade chicken noodle soup. Total heaven!!! tu2 tu2 tu2 That homemade chicken noodle soup and my mom's homemade tomato soup are still my all time favorite soups! tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:

1 x-large egg for every 3/4 to 1 cup of flour. you have to adjust depending on how things look. Add a teaspoon of water for every egg as well.

add a dash of salt.

mix the whole thing together on a large cutting board or table. Knead until you get a nice round ball of dough. Make sure its not sticky.

get yourself a rolling pin and some wax paper. Put some dough in your hands to roll it into a small round ball. Fold wax paper in half. place dough in middle of wax paper. cover dough with wax paper so its like a sandwich. Flatten dough with your palm of your hand.

Roll dough out real thin. Carefully peel off wax paper. spread a little flour on table . put flat dough on top of flour to put a very thin coat of flour on flat dough. roll up dough. cut very thin slices of dough. when done shake up slices into noodles. lightly boil in water until done. serve in bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup

Me to!

I don't do the wax paper thing either. I just roll them out on a well floured counter and let them dry on paper towels.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
How long do you let them dry, Jtex?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets talk about the soup you put the noodles in.

I previously cut up a whole chicken, but whole chickens are expensive now, so I use chicken thighs. Wash em and throw them in a pot of water with a cut up onion and some cut up celery. Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer until done. Strain the juice and pick the meat off the bones.
Cut up some new vegetables, Onion, potato, rutabaga, celery, and carrot. Everything back in the pot until the vegetables are tender. A tiny bit of salt and pepper to taste, and a couple of shakes of Mrs. Dash finish it.

just add the noodles and eat.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yum! tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Found a stewing hen hiding out at my neighborhood Walmart. Thanks for that intel, Ann!
Now to wait for Easter, when I can resume eating meat.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Found a stewing hen hiding out at my neighborhood Walmart. Thanks for that intel, Ann!
Now to wait for Easter, when I can resume eating meat.

tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote