New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Recipes In The Field
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We just returned from 3 weeks of hunting in Tanzania.

On several days, our lunch consisted of buffalo heart, duiker, sable or kongoni.

Nothing special.

salt and pepper and cooked on an open fire.

No 5 star restaurant can even approach it. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Field lunch can not be beaten. Fresh air probably has something to do with that.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, when I was a Boy Scout in rainy Washington state, soggy Bisquik biscuits with Velveeta cheese, campfire cinders and a few fir needles made for an exquisite dining experience. Just sayin' ... hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, that sure brings back some memories of Boy Scout camp in the rain in Va. going for the survivalist merit badge + eating those same soggy bisquits in the rain with only 2 matches fo the weekend. What a horrible but rememberable time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Saeed but I have to disagree and I am sure I will get ridiculed here.
I do not eat organs- no liver, heart, tongue, or heart for me. Now, about any other
meal over the campfire would be great!

I last ate liver in 1990 when I was living in Chile. That was enough for me!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some don't like the liver because they don't know to remove the gall gland. Green little bugger; cut it out + clean the area + it will be great breaded (egg battered w/flour or ground corn flakes, both good)+ fried w/ onions. Goes well w/ steamed spinach.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jason. I've eaten various internal organs over the years, but never developed a real taste for any of them. Just pass me a tenderloin, loin, brisket, or ham, and I'll let you fight with the buzzards for the rest.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When we were kids, we ate mostly organs.

Testicles, heart, lung, liver all were very welcome.

Now I prefer normal meat, and heart.

I refuse to eat tail, tung, kidney or liver.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I do not eat organs- no liver, heart, tongue, or heart for me. Now, about any other

How do you like your EGGS ? Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As my Mexican friend told me when the waitress asked him how did he like his eggs, he replied, "I like them" Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, don't get me wrong, I love a good steak + baked potatoe as well as the next man but growing up in Europe in those days one learned to eat provincial + at a young age had not developed any phobias of different tastes. To this day I love escargo while many Americans would not touch anything beyond a hot dog. Mores the pity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that being said, I would never put Haggis in my mouth. Can't fathom it. My last recollection of the Scots being, " A largely red bearded disgrunted race that communicated by grunts + farts + while eating horrendous internal parts they have managed to survive only to plague us with their rendition of music which entails, putting a cat in a bag, squeezing unto torture while knawing on its tail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
All that being said, I would never put Haggis in my mouth. Can't fathom it. My last recollection of the Scots being, " A largely red bearded disgrunted race that communicated by grunts + farts + while eating horrendous internal parts they have managed to survive only to plague us with their rendition of music which entails, putting a cat in a bag, squeezing unto torture while knawing on its tail.

LOL, that's funny.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing special.

salt and pepper and cooked on an open fire.

Saeed, you lie! You forgot to mention your ever-present bottle of Tabasco! I've seen it in your bush lunch pics! rotflmo clap jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone carry a bottle of Tabasco?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't but I always have some garlic salt.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

How do you like your EGGS ? Big Grin

Hip

You are a very bad, bad person Roll Eyes

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love eggs---I've even had ostrich egg!

But I agree with Norman Conquest----The thought of Haggis (lungs) really turns me off!!! Mad

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garlic, as well as being a staple in cooking IMO, has been instrumental over the years even before Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. You can still find old homesteads that have long been uninhabited but the wild garlic still grows at the entry to the property. Garlic has been legendary to keep away the devil + we know how it greatly helps anemia. I recall an old Peanuts cartoon where Lucy is berating linus about something, saying, "That's just an old wives tale!" To which Linus replies, "Some of those old wives were pretty smart, you know." Always loved Linus!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2