New
Find
Notify
Tools

Santa Fe Soup
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got this recipe from my daughter-in-law, and aside from the granddaughter, it's the best thing she's given me!! It is also a recipe you can't screw up unless you take the spicy route on all options, then it can get too hot for some folks' palates. And, use a big cast-iron dutch oven.

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion (chopped)
1 can whole kernel corn
3 cans beans (whatever you like-kidney, red, ranch, pinto, black)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (or Rotel with peppers)
1 pkg taco seasoning (mild or spicy)
1 pkg Ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 cans beer
1 or 2 chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)

Brown the meat and chopped onion and peppers. Drain off excess fat. Add tomatoes/rotel and taco/Ranch mixes. Cook 5 minutes to get it all mixed up. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 30 minutes.

I have used venison, feral hog, chicken, and venison sausage as a sub for the ground beef, and it is just as good.

Also, the corn tends to give the dish a "sweet" taste to me, so I leave it out.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good receipe! We cook this often in the winter such as we get here in the south. Makes a great change from chille. I also make a White Chille the will warm the cockels of your GI tract.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeSharpe:
I also make a White Chille the will warm the cockels of your GI tract.
Judge Sharpe

Judge Sharpe,

Lets hear what "white chille" is all about.This is the first time I ever heard of it.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will post wite Chile rx tomorrow. Basically it is Great Northern or Navy Beans, Chicken and chiken stock and spices. Great change from our typical Chille.
I am a chile fan and collect chile recipes of sorts. Please Post your favorites so we can share.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BABOON:
Here is the white chili Rx:
Take one pound of Great Northern Beans (dried) or about 5-6 cans of beans ( I use Great Northern or Navy Beans, pintos would work) in a duch oven. If you are using dried beans add 6 cups of chicken broth otherwise don't add broth yet. In to this add at least 2 cloves of garlic, minced and a med onion chopped. cover and if using dried beans bring to boil and simmer for one hour. If using canned beans, simmer for 45 min to 1 hour to allow the flavor to develop. In the mean time heat olive oil and saute another onion (1 Med) and 1 pound of chicken cubed,( I will some times use grilled breast, I like to cook my chicken before I put it in the mix. but cooking as long as this dose you could safely put uncooked cubed chicken with out seperate browning. When browned add 2 teaspoons cummin, at least 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, at least 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, cook another min. add to beans, cook 1 to 1 1/2 hour until beans are tender adding chicken broth or water if needed. Stir in at least 2 cans (4 1/2 oz cans) chopped green chilies. cook another 15 min. Serve with sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack (I use pepper Jack) cheese. The above makes about 8 cups so i at least double this Rx. It is good with turkey left overs, and any light meat game bird.
Enjoy as a break from Texas Red.
Judge Sharpe

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Thanks JudgeSharpe,
All I have ever made with great northerns has been U.S.senate bean soup.I generally get burned out on a pot of that as my wife will only eat it the first time I make it.She wont eat the left over.The white chilli sounds like a good change of pace.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeSharpe:
Will post wite Chile rx tomorrow. Basically it is Great Northern or Navy Beans, Chicken and chiken stock and spices. Great change from our typical Chille.
I am a chile fan and collect chile recipes of sorts. Please Post your favorites so we can share.
Judge Sharpe

When making chili try this. In a Dutch Oven place 4 tbs oil, veg or your choice. add 4tbs chili podwer and brown as making
a roux. Then add onion etc. Meat can be cooked with or alone.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 table spoons is not nearly enough to get the chili tast.
Just my ignorant opinion,
Judge Sharpe

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
more can be added and i like 6-7 but did not want to choke the unknowing. Comino,i am told,is what gives that special sent and taste.
Mexician Orgeano(whole) and a table spoon of maza flour in a paste with 1tbs water at the end
is a nice touch.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Call me stupid,but when I make chili I do not use chili powder or mixes.The only spices I use are cumin,oregano and pepper.I tend to use canned chiplotes,garlic,jalapenos & poblanos that I char roast and fresh cilantro at the very end.

I did make the Santa Fe soup and like it yery much.Nothing is better then good ,cheap one pot meals.I am sure tonight and tomorrow when the beans get busy I wont be liking it as much as I really pigged-out on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BAboon--first time I made that recipe at camp, we were sitting around the fire chowing down. After about 4-5 minutes "Red" looked at "Flash" and said "I don't think we are gonna let him go home tonight unless he gives us the recipe." One guy tried it at home and said it is good if you put about a half-cup of sour cream in it and stir it up good just before serving. All I know is that I can make a biggggg pot of it for not very much money--lots cheaper than shrimp, steak, etc.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I made the soup again yesterday.This time I used pork butt instead of the ground beef.Turned out very good as well.The ground beef is much simpler.I think I'll try it next with some venison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just cleaning out the freezers to make room for a couple hogs that will be taking their last ride soon...I'm gunna try this with smoked pork necks and feet that I have left over....bet it will be wonderful!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Dead pig worked just fine in the soup. I used Dustoff's ingrediants except I cut back on the beans and put in some yellow squash and a double hand full of okra to make it thick and served it over biscuits....worked out real well and my complements to the Daughter in law too!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez-you guys (?) are really creative--never know what modifications to the recipe you will get back. My last batch was frozen in individual plastic containers and now resides in the camphouse freezer for those occasions when I'm in camp alone and don't want to cook or it is raining like cats and dogs outside. Made a batch of homemade soup this past week with venison and feral hog and froze it up the same way. Now all I have to do is be patient enough to wait until the season opens - 3 more weeks.