New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reindeer And Moose Steak
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Just a fantastic meal of reindeer and moose fillet.

We are in Sweden, and our neighbors are hunters.

They invited us over for dinner.

The meat was defrosted, and cut into small pieces.

Nothing was added to it.

Cooked on a large steel plate on a gas fire, with a little bit of butter.

Onions and partially boiled potatoes, and freshly picked mushrooms.

That is it.

All sorts of condiments were available fir those who wanted them.

I just added a salt/garlic mixture and Tabasco.

Utterly delicious!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sounds lovely, Saeed. What mushroom variety are they picking in Sweden right now?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That does sound good. I too am curious about the mushrooms. I am assuming they are wild collected? I am busy putting up chanterelles and boletes right now.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I am curious about the 'shrooms as well but I have never eaten reindeer. I can only assume from the northern clime that they would have a decent amount of fat layer at least + should 'marble' well. It sounds like a fabulous meal.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mushrooms were chanterelle picked from the forest.

Desert was a blue pie also picked from the forest.

While in the forest saw a pig behind a friends house.

Took a pic of it and sent it to him.

He is in the UK.

Told him I saw one of his relatives !

He wrote back and said it was his uncle Percy!

The family resemblance was remarkable! clap

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Boletes have been evasive around here.
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
That does sound good. I too am curious about the mushrooms. I am assuming they are wild collected? I am busy putting up chanterelles and boletes right now.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just added a salt/garlic mixture and Tabasco.

Saeed, do you carry a bottle of it in your pocket or do you have a holster for it on your belt?! rotflmo clap

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Does the Tabasco meet the airlines standards for carry on liquids or do you chance having it lost in checked baggage?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Good for you. Boletes have been evasive around here.
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

That's how it normally is in the Ozarks as well. Few due to lack of summer rain but every now and then there is a good year, there has been a little rain so far this year. All but one here is a bolete. ***Edit: I see some Cratarellus I forgot about in there too.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice score Ann. It give me the incentive to get out.
Might go for a drive to my spot in the next couple days. Had some hard rains today. Got some boletes and cauliflowers there before.
Thanks.
CB

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ooo, cauliflower! I have never found one out here. Really too dry for them.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice haul, Ann! tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ann.
Do you find the boletes favor any particular species of wood litter? The few I've found were under a soft needle pine. Maybe birch? I vaguely recall seeing lots of white birch when I hunted whitetails in that general area.
CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ann.
Do you find the boletes favor any particular species of wood litter? The few I've found were under a soft needle pine. Maybe birch? I vaguely recall seeing lots of white birch when I hunted whitetails in that general area.
CB

CB, those might be Lecciniums, a type of bolete. Some of those are good but some are not. Most boletes are mycorrhizal with often specific tree species. I would recommend a good field guide and also, if you really want to learn them get this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Boletes...id=1628000693&sr=8-2

The Bessettes are well known authors on boletes. I have their older book that covers all of NA. It's pretty dogeared now.

Boletes are easy to preserve and among the tastiest of fungi. Since you are in the northeast where rain is plentiful you are in good country for mushroom. Not all boletes are edible but 99.9% won't poison you either. Some are simply too bitter to consume.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would love to try wild mushrooms other than the puffballs we ate in Colorado.
I don't see any of the edible ones here and those who gather them typically will not even get down to county for their gathering location(s).

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I would love to try wild mushrooms other than the puffballs we ate in Colorado.
I don't see any of the edible ones here and those who gather them typically will not even get down to county for their gathering location(s).

Find the right trees and you will find the mushrooms.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Book ordered. Thanks.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Saeed

Does the Tabasco meet the airlines standards for carry on liquids or do you chance having it lost in checked baggage?

I always git Tabasco on airlines!

I tell them it makes their food edible! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what you need, Mr. Nice Guy, for 24/7 availability! rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reindeer if tame and caribou if wild--same animal. I found caribou to be more gamey than a white tail but less gamey than a pronghorn--but they make great sausage. Moose--better than beef.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Book ordered. Thanks.

This is another good beginner's book for mushrooming for anyone interested. It covers more than just boletes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mushroo...id=1628104234&sr=8-4

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice on good Mushrooming books. I have never looked for them before, but may start doing so, with help from one of your recommended books. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks for the advice on good Mushrooming books. I have never looked for them before, but may start doing so, with help from one of your recommended books. tu2

UEG, if you are west of the Miss you'll need books that cover over there. There are many available on Amazon. It's a worthy pursuit.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am West of the Mississippi, in the Intermountain West. I'll look for books covering those areas. I did look search the Internet for information relative to Intermountain States and mushrooms there, and found some, along with mushroom groups that are organized in some of those states, for hunting mushrooms. I'll check Amazon for books specific to those areas. Thanks Ann.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Yes, I am West of the Mississippi, in the Intermountain West. I'll look for books covering those areas. I did look search the Internet for information relative to Intermountain States and mushrooms there, and found some, along with mushroom groups that are organized in some of those states, for hunting mushrooms. I'll check Amazon for books specific to those areas. Thanks Ann.

You are most welcome. I like to encourage people to utilize 'native' food stuffs and especially wild mushrooms. They are delicious, nutritious and often medicinal. Hard to beat free food too.

IDK if you are on FB but there are lots of helpful groups to be found there. Most state Myco societies have a page and you'll find lots of helpful people in them.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is a chanterelle story.

My sister in law goes running in the morning.

She picked a whole bunch of these, and left them between two logs.

I was walking in the forest, and found them.

I always carry a plastic bag with me, so picked them and got them home.

She came over to our house in the afternoon, complaining that some took her mushrooms!

She explained how she hid them in the forest.

My daughter was frying the mushrooms, so said to her aunt, they came here, all by themselves!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin