Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Fried Steak
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I'm looking for a simple recepie to make it. I have a freezer full of antelope and am looking for new uses. Anyone have some Ideas??

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shave it real thin across the grain and make Philly cheese steak subs. I like to use a little balsamic vinager and a big dab of BOLD A-1 sauce to marinate after it is cut. Fry onions (green peppers if you like) and then put the meat into a hot pan and fry quickly and tear the meat apart with a fork as you cook it for about 3 minutes....don't over cook. Slice French bread (or whatever you like) length wise and fill it with meat and onions. Sprinkle cheese on top of the meat and onions (I like mozzarella shreaded) and put the whole thing under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the nicely toasted. Works for deer, caribou or moose too.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scramble a couple of eggs with a little milk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix flour, seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add bread crumbs if you have them. Dip the meat, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, into the flour, then into the egg and then back into the flour - coating it completely. Fry in fairly hot (but not smoking) oil or shortening until golden brown. A tip - do not turn the meat over until the one side is browned the way you want it.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Another tip or two

do as calif hunter described making sure to 'rest' the pieces for about five minutes prior to putting them in the oil (it will set the crust better).

also, don't drain them on paper of any sort (newspaper, paper bags, etc...) use a cooling rack. it keeps the crust from getting soggy on bottom.
put the cooling rack in a sheet pan to help with cleanup.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
now, gravy!

reserve 3 Tbs of the oil and ALL of the 'gunk' in the skillet. Reduce heat to Medium and add 3 Tbs (generous) to the skillet and mix well, making sure to get the 'gunk' worked in. Let this brown slightly.

Add milk s-l-o-w-l-y while stiring constantly until the gravy is runny and there are no lumps. The slower you add milk at the beginning and the better you stir it in, the smoother (is that a word?) the gravy will be later.

Let this simmer until bubbles start. Season to taste with a generous amount of salt, and some black pepper.

Remember, the gravy will thicken when it cools so it is better to be a little thin when you take it off the heat.

By the way, the left-over gravy (if there is any) is wonderful on biscuits the next morning.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about the cooling rack - I will have to try that to keep the bottom of fried foods crisp. It would work with a grilled cheese sandwich, too, I bet! I hate soggy toast on the bottom.

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Hey, if there is one thing at which I am really good.... I mean *really* good.... it is eating. Cooking came along to support the prime objective. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well chicken fried steak is an American thing so I've only heard from other chefs.....but isn't it actually marinated in buttermilk and then bread crumbed before it's fried???

the chef

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I learned the drip rack thing a long time ago cooking walleye fillets

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Elkman. If you will do a search on foodtv.com for Paula Deans country fried steak recipe I give it a huge recommendation. I have been making country fried steak for years and my wife, who has never made it before, used this recipe and it put mine to shame. Simple, easy to do and really really tasty.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought a manual meat tenderizer (or cube steak maker) from Cabelas a few years ago. Cut the large muscles in a deer ham into 1/2" steaks, run them thru the machine all 4 ways, and you've got the makings for some great chicken fried steak.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lfaler - I did a search there for Paula Deans and all they showed was a recipe for "Uncle Bubba's Seafood Pot Pie." ??????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compliments of Paula Dean and the Foodnetwork.com:

1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 (4-ounce) tenderized beef round steak (have butcher run them through cubing machine)
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups hot water
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (recommended: Ac'cent), optional
1 bunch green onions, or 1 medium yellow onion, sliced

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 side of the meat with the House Seasoning and the other side with the seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in the flour mixture. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 or 4 of the steaks to the hot oil, and fry until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
Make the gravy by adding the 2 tablespoons remaining flour to the pan drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is bubbly. Slowly add the water and the Ac'cent, if using, stirring constantly. Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks. Cover the pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
elkman and calif. hunter. Here is a really simple way to do it if you don't want an involved recipe like the Paula Dean version (although it is really good)

Take you steaks and lay a big piece of saran wrap on them (do this on a big cutting board to decrease the mess). Proceed to pound the crap out of them with a rubber mallet (the kind you get in a plumbing supply house or woodworking store). This will really tenderize them well and you don't need to spend money on a meat tenderizer. sprinkle with kosher salt and ground pepper.

Next have 3 plates or bowls set up, 2 with flour and 1 with buttermilk (much more flavor than regular milk). dredge in flour, then buttermilk then in flour. Fry in Canola or similar oil at 375 degrees until brown on each side. Very simple and doesn't take much time or effort. You can use a little of the leftover grease to make a good roux for some milk gravy.

lance

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote