New
Find
Notify
Tools

jerky
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Those that haven't tried making jerky using ground meat and a jerky gun give it a try. It's easier and in my books makes better jerky. Those not familar with a jerky gun,it looks like a caulking gun. Has plastic reservoir you put the meat in. You can lay down a spiral all around your dehydrator tray in one length and break it to length when finished.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But ground meat usually has fat added, which will quickly go rancid. How can this be better than using a lean piece of meat?

one of us
posted Hide Post
crowrifle---I was referring to grinding the meat myself vs slicing the meat,certainly not adding any fat. I use a hand grinder,pretty easy to grind up 6 pounds or so. As I grind,any sinew or other white chunks,I pick out--something you can't do as well or as easily with sliced meat. Then when I add my mix to set overnight I pick out any sinew that I missed. When I lay down the "ribbon" from the jerky gun,I glean out anymore that I find. Even after all that trace amount will get through--but a more thorough process than can be obtained using sliced meat. It's easier to eat--and yes I have real teeth,well ok two of em.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman
I use a jerky gun that is the best way to go.I grouned up some hog meat and used the round stick shooter turned out good.what type of seasoning do you use.I use HI Mountain jurky mix its good and will do up to 15 pounds of meat here is there web. sight if you want to check them out www.himtnjerky.com [Wink]

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scrounger
posted Hide Post
Ray, I really worried about you, your obsession with catching/killing cats, but seeing as how you're putting them to good use as jerky and sausage for pizza, etc., it becomes clear and understandable. But be careful, you're on Birman's hit (or is it 'scratch'?) list now...

Posts: 281 | Location: Between Death Valley & the Atomic Test Site | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ShortMag----I have been using Nesco Jerky mix which I get from Wal Mart here. It comes in two packages---one is salt and the other is the seasonings. They say use one each per pound of meat--but cutting back a little seems to work better--say 4 and possibly 3 packs for 6 pounds. I have thought about buying some various spices--garlic,peppers and dehydrating them and grinding them up and buying some I think its called curing salt and coming up with my own--havent done so yet. When I used sliced meat I marinated it in a whatevers handy in the kitchen added to soy sauce.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrounger--You give me ideas--cat jerky hmmmmm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you use a really old Tom, it's already tough, stringy and dried out enough to be halfway to jerky, already!

Here's an idea: Either pick up the cat as week-old roadkill, or put the cats you kill on some hot asphalt, where it can be "stretched" a little by the traffic. All you have to do is pick out a little fur, and you already have some jerky, with just a trace of asphalt/rubber flavoring!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fat is OK in Dri Vores, thats the stuff made in South Africa and its about the best stuff I ever ate, I'm ashamed of the amount I eat of it ever time I go over there....Fat dried in their manor does not get rancid and it last all year without refridgeration.....It is ground and stuffed and dried.

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing as carpetman, however we use extremely lean deer meat. It takes a while to cut off all the fat, but the product is great. Hardly any cleanup either because there is no grease left in the dehydrator. I usually throw in a little extra cheyenne pepper to spice it up a bit as well.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish i knew me some Indians so i could get some of that Cheyenne pepper.
[Wink]

Plinker603

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote