Find
Notify
Tools

Ate bobcat backstrap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted
Ate some backstrap out of a bobcat Saturday night. It tasted pretty good until I really started thinking about the fact that I was eating a cat.

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Eating -----. I won't go there!!! hijack animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed eating pussy. This was one way to NOT get hair in my teeth Big Grin

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ate some BBQ bobcat once,thought it tasted a bit like pork.I didn't care for the bear or otter though.Never could get up the courge to eat snakes,dog,or possum.

A few beers beforehand will aid the digestion tremendously.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat Crazy:
A few beers beforehand will aid the digestion tremendously.WC

If it had'nt been for all the beer I don't think I could have eaten this cat. Rattle snake is good to eat - tasts like chicken

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't like chicken,it tastes fowl.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
we eat lynx on the trapline often, tastes great! cheers

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just skun a bobcat today, sorry guys but I would have to be a lot hungrier than I am to eat one!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
PLEASE NOTE: This is not Crazyhorse, but rather his wife, Lora.

Like any game meat, bobcat, if not treated well after shooting, will not taste good. HOWEVER:

I serve bobcat to my hunters at least once per hunt group. I will either serve the backstrap, or I will bone the hams and season and rotisserie. (or wrap in foil and cook in the coals)...

On one of the other forums Randall and I belong to, I am known as "campcook". I have folks fighting over the food I cook.

Try this:

Assuming you have treated the cat the same way you would treat an elk or an antelope, (field-dressing ASAP, cooling and skinning also ASAP, and removing as much as possible of the fat)

cut the cat in 8 pcs as follows:
2 front legs and shoulders
2 back legs and hams, cut from back just above the hips and then split apart down the backbone.
2 rib plates
2 back peices. (loin section, and rib section)

Use any seasoning you wish. One I make good use of is 2 parts Italian seasoning, to one part Mesquite-Flavored Cabrito seasoning. If this is an old animal, 'specially a male, add 1 tablespoon meat tenderizer for every 3 tablspoons of the mix.

Rub all parts with the seasoning. wrap with bacon (hardwood smoked works best in my experience) and then in several layers of aluminum foil.

Cook in slow oven (200 to 250 F) for 30 min to 45 min for EACH pound of meat. Or put on a smoker, cooking slowly.

An 11 pound male took me 8 hours.

Use a stick to beat everyone off.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Lynx its just a super bobcat.I have eaten a bunch of the barqed and smoked.I par boil it .I usually dont gut them just take the legs and backstrap from the outside.I have tricked a few into eating it and they all loved it.I think its one of the sweetest meats like sweet porkchops.The only sweeter meat was berry feed black bear.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote