New
Find
Notify
Tools

'ethnic' recipes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
the great thing about this forum, in spite of all the differing political views, is the fact that we've got outdoorsmen from all over the world. one of the things that EVERYONE in the world does is eat, and wherever you are from, there is something from your home that is unique to that area.

with that in mind, let's see a few good "ethnic" (for lack of a better word) recipes! french, german, italian, scandinavian, asian, middle eastern, cajun, spanish, mexican, and i am sure that there are many more......they don't have to be specifically for wild game, but i am sure that they can be "modified" for game!

to open up, since i am from montana, i give you the beef pasty (pronounced so that it rhymes with nasty! ) these orginal "hot pockets" were carried by miners in butte to work so that they would have something for lunch down in the shafts. the pasty has its origins in ireland, but was made famous in butte, montana.

----------------------------------------------------------
Prep Time: approx. 30
Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 1
Hour 30 Minutes. Makes 6 pasties (6 servings).
------------------------------------------------------------
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups lard
10 tablespoons ice water
2 pounds top round steak, cut
into 1/4 inch cubes
5 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon freshly ground
black pepper
1 tablespoon salt

Directions
1 Place the flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and the lard in a
bowl. Quickly rub the lard into the flour with your
fingertips until it resembles small peas. Pour in the ice water,
and form into a ball. Add more water if it feels too dry.
Divide the dough into 6 balls, and wrap in plastic.
Chill one hour.
2 In a bowl, combine the meat, turnips, potatoes, onions,
remaining 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper.
3 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
4 Roll out one of the balls on a floured surface to about
1/4 inch thick. Using a cake pan, trace a 9 inch circle
in the dough; cut out the circle. Place about 1 1/2 cups
of the meat mixture into the middle of the circle. Fold
the edges of the circle up to meet along the top of the
meat filling, and crimp the dough along the top to seal.
Repeat until all dough is used up. With a spatula, transfer
the pasties to an ungreased sheet.
5 Bake the pasties for 45 minutes, or until golden.
Serve hot or at room temperature.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quiche Lorraine

Quiche became popular in the U.S. during the 1950's. Consisting of mainly vegetarian ingredients, it acquired the �real men don�t eat quiche� label in the macho American society, only to blossom into widespread popularity during the later 20th century. Nowadays there are many kinds of quiche, from the original quiche Lorraine, to ones with all sorts of veggies including broccoli and mushrooms. Other ingredients popular in a quiche are ham and/or seafood (primarily shellfish). Serve a quiche at any meal, and almost anyone will enjoy it!

Right about now you are thinking that this is the Hip Guide to Paris, and why am I talking about Americans, but this is about Quiche� and it is now considered a classic French dish. Quiche was actually invented in Germany, in a medieval kingdom called Lothringen. This area later became the Lorraine region of France. �Quiche� is from the German word �K�chen�, meaning cake.

In the past, the original �quiche Lorraine� was an open pie with a filling made from eggs and cream with bacon. It was only later that cheese was added to quiche recipes. If you add onions, then you have a quiche Alsacienne. The bottom crust was originally made from bread dough, but now is made with shortening-type crusts or puff pastry crusts.

Piecrust

Ingredients:

For 2 pies

3 cups flour

1 and � tsp salt

1-tablespoon sugar

1 and � cups butter

� cup cold water

1 egg, beaten

1-tablespoon vinegar

Preparation:

Combine sifted flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into the mix with a pastry blender until the consistency is coarse, with lumps the size of peas. Stir and work in the egg, water, and vinegar and roll the dough out on a floured board. Line the pie pan with dough, flute the edges, and pour in the filling and then bake.

This recipe makes enough dough for two crusts, so you can save the extra dough in the freezer or make two pies.

Filling

Ingredients:

Half-pound bacon cooked and cut into small pieces.

1 and � cups heavy cream

4 large eggs

Salt and pepper to taste

Dash of nutmeg

� tablespoon butter

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the bits of bacon on the bottom of the piecrust. Whisk together the eggs, cream, nutmeg and pepper in a large bowl, and pour the mix into the piecrust. Cut a half-tablespoon of butter into pea-sized pieces and scatter evenly across the top of the pie.

Place into the pre-heated oven on a middle rack and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is browned and an inserted knife-edge comes out cleanly.

Let cool for 15 minutes and serve with a salad and a nicely chilled white wine.

lifted here

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, edmond, perhaps you and i are the only two who eat?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one I've never posted before.

Lettuce soup - my Romanian Grandma's recipe

Take as many potatoes as you like, peeled, quartered and boiled in lots of salted water and 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Don't pour off the water.

Just before the potatoes are done, fry 1/2 lb. chopped bacon, 1 cup of chopped onions. Add 6 eggs and scramble until the eggs start to thicken.

Add the partially scrambled eggs to the potatoes and water and stir, distributing the scrambled eggs.

Bring to a boil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and take one head of coarsely chopped lettuce and stir it into the broth. Cover and take off the heat.

Wait five minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a big dollop of sour cream in the centre of the bowl. :P

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if this would be considerd an ethnic recipie,more like a tradtion for me.After the deer season ends we save all the hearts and livers from our harvests.then cut that hearts into 1/4 inch cubes and the same for the livers,depending on how many you have,use onion ,mushrooms and a little red bell pepper,saute the hearts and livers,mushrooms and onion until browned,then cover with chablis wine and lrt it simmer for about 1 hour,then add red bell pepper and let this cook very slowly until a nice gravey is present,a fresh loaf of itialian bread and enjoy, my wife calls this organ stew

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a sauce thread over on Ar15.com. I posted my mix over there and then saw this thread. Use whatever meats you want, they all work well. Use your favorite pasta, I like rigatoni or angel hair.

Don't forget some crusty bread to "mop up".

This will take several hours but it will be worth it. Use a large stock pot with a thick bottom. You will need to stir and simmer for a while, DON'T LET IT STICK!!!

Sauce for Pasta

3 26oz. cans of tomato puree
1 26oz. can of crushed tomatos
tomato paste
onion powder
garlic powder
chopped garlic
olive oil
Italian seasoning
salt
pepper
sugar (or Splenda if carb counting)
cinamon
crushed red pepper
basil
pepperoni
eggs
bread crumbs
grated cheese

Meats:
ground beef
hot sausage
ground veal
chicken and/or pork chops and/or anything you like

Take the groung beef, ground veal, and hot sausage, along with the eggs, bread crumbs, and grated cheese and combine for meat balls. Use equal amounts of the meats. I use a pound of each. Use 2 medium or large eggs. 1 jumbo might be enough. Use only enough bread crumbs to keep the meat together, about 1/2 a cup or so. Same with the grated cheese. Add onion and garlic powder and salt and pepper. Hell, add any spice you like. You may want to add onions to yours, I don't.

Fry most of the meat balls in a pan, save 3 or 4 to fry in the stock pot.

Slice the pepperoni, I use 1 stick of Margherita. In the stock pot, fry the pepperoni in olive oil. Remove the pepperoni when browned, reserve till later. Leave the oil from the pepperoni in the pot. Now add the chicken or pork or whatever. Brown, but don't cook it all the way through, in other words don't dry it out. Reserve. Add the 3 or 4 meat balls, fry. Reserve. I keep all the reserved meats warm, but not cooking, in the oven.

Now, in the bottom of the stock pot you will have grease and browned and blackened bits of the meats, this is a good thing, don't dump it out. This is the "flavor base". Add the chopped garlic and lightly brown.

Add your puree and crushed tomatos to the pot, along with the dried spices, salt, pepper, sugar, cinamon, crushed pepper, bring to a simmer/ low boil, reduce heat, and let it simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every few minutes. DON'T LET IT STICK!!! All the browned stuff in the bottom will disolve. You can add a cup or two of red wine or some water to the mix, normally it's a bit too thick.

Add back all the meats(pepperoni too) you browned earlier are now added back to the sauce/gravy. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for at least 1 hour, remember you didn't cook them all the way through. Simmer for as long as you want after that, the longer the better, I normally let it go for a few hours. REMEMBER TO STIR, DON'T LET IT STICK!!! This is not the time to be painting the family room, get a book or magazine and sit at the kitchen table and read.

Taste and adjust the spices as you go to get your desired flavor. Add tomato paste if it too thin. Sauce is a very personal thing, I like mine sweet with a bit of a kick. You may want it different.

This is my mothers recipe, adjusted to my taste. A well known family "secret" is that my father prefers mine.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

well, edmond, perhaps you and i are the only two who eat?

I dunno, I am on diet, too many years of french food and a lot of it or maybe because I ate german breakfast, french lunch and chinese supper for years, plus some american fast food

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Edmond, here is one for a man on a diet.

Sl�tur, a traditional high-nordic main course (engl. transl. Slaughter).

Sheep�s blood 1 l.
Water 2-4 dl.
Oats 3-400 dl.
Rye 4-500 dl.
Salt 1.5 tablespoons.
Sheep�s abdominal fat 500g
Sheep�s stomach.

1. Make pockets of the stomach, abt. the size of a fist.
2. Chop the fat up in 1cc chunks.
3. Mix all the ingredients in a large pot or a container of some sort.
4. Put the resulting goo in the pockets of stomach.
5. Boil 2 hrs.

Instead of using the blood, one can use the liver, heart and kidneys of the animal. That variant is called "liver sausage"

Frequently, both variants are served together.

If interested, one could go the full monty in traditions and preserve the stuff in lactic acid after boiling.

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to waste the internal organs when hunting game ! This dish is traditionally done with Lamb, however.

MAGERITSA

1 Lamb Stomach
Lamb Intestines
1/2 of the liver
1 lung
Heart
Dry onions
1 bunch scallions
2- 8oz cans tomato sauce
1/4 pound butter
1/2 C olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Parsley
3 bunches Spinach
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 cup Ketchup

Wash the stomach well (obviously)! Fill with hot water and turn inside out. Peel the inside and scrape with a knife. Place the stomach in a bowl and rub with salt. Rinse with cold water. Pour water through the intestine until reasonably clean. Then use a pencil to turn the intestine inside out to clean more thoroughly in a sink. Add salt and rub into the inside (now outside) of the intestine. When clean, rinse with cold water. Slice heart into long strips and wash well. There should be no blood. Slice and wash the lung and liver in a similar fashion. Place all organs into a water filled kettle with a teaspoon of salt. Boil for one hour. After the meat has cooled, chop all of it into small pieces (about 1/2 - 3/4 inch cubes). Use 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 pound of butter to sautee the meats with dry onions, chopped scallions, and two cloves of garlic. When meat is slighly browned, add 16 oz. of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup into the mixture. Continue to stir mixture until it begins to slowly simmer. Add cleaned and chopped spinach and continue to cook until spinach is done. Simultanous to adding ths spinach, pepper and parsley should be added to personal taste.

This is good stuff gentleman and a very traditional Easter recipe belonging to my great grandmother.

ENJOY!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this is ethnic; it was born out of necessity one day when the larder was low at camp and has become a staple for us. It may be common elswhere but we feel this is a South Texas original:

one big head of cabbage
equal part onion roughly sliced
one pound bacon
lots of salt
lots (I mean LOTS)of black pepper
one big-ass iron skillet (12-14")

All of this is on high heat so pay attention.

Dice the bacon into 1/4" pieces and fry until very very crispy; remove from skillet.
Sautee the onions in the bacon drippings until carmelized with dark brown edges, remove from the pan and keep separate from the bacon.

Slice the cabbage fine but not as fine as cole slaw and season with the salt and some pepper. Reserve 4 or 5 outer cabbage leaves whole depending on size.

Even though this sounds like a lot of bacon grease; believe me it is essential. After all, we just ate a cup and a half of lard when we started this, didn't we?

Place the shredded cabbage in the pan and toss quickly, then cover with the outer leaves with as little overlap as needed to make a "lid". Don't disturb it after that until:
Let it cook umtil the cabbage lid just begins to show signs of softening; this is your indicator that the cabbage underneath is just right. Turn off the heat and stir the browned onions and crispy bacon back into the cabbage and serve right then. The importanat part to get the best flavors is to keep the three ingredients separate right until serving. Makes a huge difference.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote