Find
Notify
Tools

Horse Flesh
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted
I just read an article about the horse slaugtherhouses in Texas.It went on a long rant about why Americans do not eat horses.

I am always surprised at comments I get about having shot a zebra.Did not eat any of it,but knows it goes to market.

To me if it was available,reasonably price and looked good I would try it.If I liked it I would continue to eat it.

Its bad enough that some morons out there feels its wrong to eat "Bambi".And others feel veal is wrong.And lets not forget those loveable folks that think meat is death.

So whats you'all opinion on horse flesh?

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had what I was told was mule chili once and it was fine. I don't suppose horse can be much different. My only concern is that a lot of old horses die from disease and old age problems which could affect the quality of the meat. I don't think USDA inspects horse meat because it usually goes into dog food. I can think of worse things to eat.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there must be a few horse plants in the States. We have one not far from Lethbridge....hundreds and hundreds of horses waiting to meet their demise. Belgium imports a lot, it's very popular there. And why not eat it, it's meat like everything else.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
In prehistoric times in France they ate deer, horse and auroch [early beef] as their main meats. As long as it's quality meat why not. Much of hour eating habits and prejudices come from what we were fed as kids. After all many times I've been asked about deer hunting - 'what do you do with it ?' I eat it ! . And someting like squid is a real shocker to many americans !!

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
My only concern is that a lot of old horses die from disease and old age problems which could affect the quality of the meat. I don't think USDA inspects horse meat because it usually goes into dog food.

They have to hire USDA inspectors as alot of it is exported.Here is a link to the story.

http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-04-13/news/feature.html

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.....but, I wouldn't bet on how that will shake out!!

If I had grown up eating horse...what would be wrong?? They eat alpaca and llamas in Peru but I never see it in the market here...that doesn't make it wrong or bad. I did a crushed pepper and balsomic vinager marinaded deer back strap on the grill for dinner and my wife thought it was pig tender loin and loved it. She won't eat cat fish because they are bottom feeders...go figure.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, I've never eaten a horse, but I have eaten venison haggis stuffed with heart, lungs, and darned near whatever other "meaty" looking pieces we could grind up and jam in there.

And aside from your day to day "standard fare" type foods, I've eaten ants, crickets, grasshoppers, and even skinned and grilled mice, along with opossum and turtles. I wouldn't go out of my way for a plate of any of 'em, but I have eaten them.

So to the question of "would I eat horse"? Absolutely.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
Interesting.....but, I wouldn't bet on how that will shake out!!

She won't eat cat fish because they are bottom feeders...go figure.

Back in the days before sewage treatment (when you could walk across the Potomac on turds and never get wet feet) people rightfully assumed that catfish lived on things most of us would rather not discuss. Same with carp and buffalo. Times have changed and so have conditions but old habits (especially food habits) die slow. Usually generations. And we're only talking '50s and '60s.

About horse, its always been popular in much of Europe. I'd have no problem if it were offered in markets here.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tigger,

Good info...I'll pass that on to my wife the next time I have a cat fish sandwich!! BTW, #1 son caught a nice (maybe 28 - 30 lbs) mud cat tonight on a micro light and 4 lb test. He turned it loose to eat $hit again!!

Next to the P51, I like the P38 best!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, makes ya wonder how many coons shit in the river, huh? I figure God's great design to turn animal crap into wonderful catfish is stamp-of-approval enough for me. OTOH, I had an uncle who wouldn't touch tomatoes or onions because he said if a pig won't eat it, he sure as hell wasn't.

The P-38 avavtar is just a little tribute to my dad.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've been hitting catfish hard on blood worms lately...a filet makes a damn good sandwich with a little mayo, pickle relish and some tomato sliced on top!!

P-38 is a grand old plane and I'd give my left nut...which I don't use much anyway any more... to fly one for awhile. I'm sure there is a lot of pride and honor associate with the P-38. When I got my multi engine ticket, I told the check pilot I wanted to fly a P-38 some day. Haven't made it yet.

The year of the .30-06!!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I eat horse every time I travel to Austria. It's "Hungarian Salami" and some of the best stuff you will ever eat!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actualy a steak off a good finished horse is pretty good fare in my book. Used to beable to get some when the packing plant here was open.Just 3 plants left I belive. Dont use it in dog food any more since Quaker Oats shut down their plant in Marion Ohio. They tell me in Japan its served raw,sliced very thin. If it eats grass or grain what difference does it make. I keep my horses fat just in case I have to eat them..........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....my neighbor has two fat horses she doesn't ride much....hmmmm.... they process grass and grain just like a cow!! hmmmm....!!

The year of the .30-06!!

posted Hide Post
My mother was from Belgium. She ate a lot of horse flesh while there, especially during the war because the Germans shipped most Belgian food back to Germany.
Mom said that the Germans even stole the flour produced in Belgium. To placate the Belgians, the Germans issued them flour made from chestnuts. Mom said it was bitter, wouldn't rise worth a damn and barely made bread. Years passed before she saw real flour.
During the war, beef was unknown. It was all shipped to Germany. If the Germans were feeling kindly, they allowed the slaughter of an old horse and the issuance of horse meat.
Consequently, Mom grew to like horse meat.
There's a family anecdote about horse meat.
Mom came to America in 1947, met at the docks by my father, a G.I. who met her shortly after the Battle of the Bulge.
Anyway, beef was the meat of choice in America then. One day, mom reminisced about horse meat, so Dad looked all over Vancouver (Washington) and Portland (Oregon) until he finally found a butcher shop that stocked it.
He bought a couple of fine horse steaks. Mom was delighted, and fried them in a skillet.
They sat across the table from each other and each took their first bite --- then made an awful face.
They both agreed it was not nearly as good as beef. Dad said they didn't finish their horse steaks; they went to the neighbor's dog.
Mom slapped a couple of beef hamburgers in the same skillet and they soon had dinner again.
Mom never looked back toward horse meat. She said it was great when you were starving, and couldn't get any meat, but once she tasted American beef that was it.
I've never tasted horse flesh. It doesn't put me off but I figure, "Why bother?" when I get beef so readily.

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pan for my sham friends!" --- Tom Waits

one of us
posted Hide Post
young horse is good,,,had stew, jerky, and roast from a less than a year old horse,,,not sure the age she just said a young one not a year old

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And mud cats are about purely preditors,,,,they eat other fish, crawdads + such,,,blues and channels will eat about anything. Muds are higher in Mercury though,,,way up there with other apex fish.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had horse steaks several times. It's not uncommon to see horse on the menu in Italy. The first one I had, was tough and didn't taste good at all. Was probably just a bad steak. The others I had, weren't all that bad. I wouldn't say it's my favorite meat by any means, but I'd eat it again without issue.

I think the reason you don't see horse and other common meats from around the world, is because here in the states, they're considered "pets". Same idea as going to the orient, and eating dog or monkey. (mans best friend, and mans closest relative). To them, it's just meat.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a place for all of God's creatures on this earth...right next to the mashed totatoes.

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Hi

I have eaten horse as sausage and as slices on bread like ham. The taste is good but for some reason I have a problem of eating horse if I know it's horse.. I eat almost anything else.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never eaten horse that I was aware of but did have Zebra at Joes's Beer House in Windhouk Namabia. The Zebra was OK but not as good as Gemsbok. My PH said Zebra was his favorite.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read Gatofeo's last sentence in his reply. Then go to Winn Dixie and get 1 1/2in ribeyes for the charcoal grill and never look back.
Thank God we live where we have the best and most food anywhere.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
When I was on holiday in the Netherlands a few years ago, horse meat, or paard vlees, seemed to me more common in the butcher shops than beef.

We had it for dinner a number of times, sometimes just fried steaks or in a fondue.
Not bad at all.
It has a slightly coarser texture than beef.

We have kangaroo meat in the supermarkets here. Seems to be quite popular and has a petty good flavour and is very lean.

Some people have issues with eating it but not me, I quite like it actually.
It's all wild harvested and has a gamey flavour that some people aren't used to I suppose.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten horse, but if it's like a moutain zebra, it is damn good.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen horse meat for sale throughout Europe, but I have never actually tried it. I wish I had though.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote