Find
Notify
Tools

recipe for deer jerky????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
ingredients:: half large bottle of worchestershire sauce, 3 T coarse grind black pepper...2 T garlic powder...2 T decoty's steak seasoning, 2 T decoty's bbq powder..pour this over the meat... let sit overnight... then dry to desired dryness... store in airtight container....... i had 2 shoulders from a whitetail doe and 1 ham... probably about 6-7 lbs of meat...its been in the bottom shelf of the refigerator for a week...got bored today ad decided to make it into jerky.... i'll let you know how it turns out.... i'm looking for other recipe's also....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my family has a very good recipie for brined/smoked/dried deer meat if you're intrested. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
sure.... i have a feeling that my clients are getting fruit and nut baskets for christmas... and i'll throw in some dried jerky, smoked sausage, or cured meat also... please post it!!!!!....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
muscle out a venison hind-quarter to about the size of a beer can. get a sack of Morton's sugar-cure salt, the brown if possible. we had to order our last batch. roll the chunks in the sugar cure and put them in a tall container. we use a stone crock, but a plactic jar will do(no metal)BTW do not cover the meat with the salt too heavily. jar can be put in fridge, but my Granpa kept it covered with a towel in the well-house. this was made in the winter months. after 3-4 days the salt will draw the moisture and blood out of the meat.thread the meat with a yarn loop and blanch in boiling water about 30-40 seconds.smoke meat with your choice wood. we use mesquite and oak bark. 4-5 hrs is good. 6-8 hrs if you like alot of smoke flavor. dry in a cool, dry area. a fan helps. drying time should be several days depending on humidity, with lowest the best. this is best after a dry norther. the longer it is dried, the harder it gets. the interior will be a dark red color. slice thin and enjoy with crackers, sharp cheddar and beer! BTW, weight the meat down while brining. we use a smooth rock. it can be turned every day also. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote