New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chile
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a good recipe for chile? Using venison and like it spicy!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a recipe that I cook for the firehouse hence the name.

Break Out the Hoses Chile

2 lbs trimmed cubed venison

2 cups chopped onions

2 cups chopped green peppers

6-8 chopped jalapeno peppers w/seeds

6 cloves garlic crushed

2 cans Chile beans (optional)

2 cubes un-sweetened baking chocolate OR

2 TBS cocoa powder

Cooking oil (I use lard for flavor)

SPICE MIX

3 TBS hot Chile powder
2 TBS Cumin (to start)
1-2 TBS red pepper flakes
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp ground white pepper
Salt to taste

Brown meat in hot oil/lard, remove meat add onions, g peppers, garlic and HALF the jalapenos, cook until the onions have a bit of brown color, drain any excess oil, add meat again ALL the spice mix and the chocolate cook on high heat for about 5 minutes to release oils from spice mix, cover with water and simmer for about 2 hours on low heat (I put mine it the oven at 200 degrees or in a crock pot on low). When the cubed venison starts to fall apart add the beans and the rest of the jalapeno peppers, cook for about 15 minutes. Time to taste. If you feel that the �Chile� taste is lacking add CUMIN and you can also add some more hot (red pepper)if needed (don�t think you�ll need hot though) NOTICE that there is NO Tomato in this Chile.

I serve this with garlic French bread toastines, fresh chopped onions, jalapenos and sour cream on the side as a cool down.

This will serve 4-6. I fix this dish for 40 (I don�t eat it myself to hot for me). [Razz]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This sounds delicious. I will make this one, but not for 40 people. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Here's another, but don't tell anyone about it, it's my Mom's secret recipe....

2 pounds ground meat
1/2 Tbl Cumin
1 Tbl Chili powder
1 diced onion

Brown meat with above ingredients, drain any excess fat.

Add:
1 Xlg can Brooks chili hot beans
1 Lg can diced tomato
1/4 cup sugar
1 sm bottle Italian dressing
1 Cup water

Simmer an hour and a half.

This is not a hot chili, but you can add what you want to warm it up. Last time I made it was for late deer season and I added another two pounds of meat (Elk) chunks when I browned the meat, and it turned out excellent.

I think it usually needs some salt/pepper, but the recipe didn't call for it, and you can always add to suit your taste when you serve it. It's hard to get the salt out if you add too much while you're cooking.

She won her company's Chili cook-off three years in a row with this recipe.

Bill

[ 01-18-2003, 00:48: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A FRIEND OF MINE GOES DEER HUNTING IN WYOMING AND BRINGS BACK THAT SAGE FED DEER FROM THERE. IT SURE TASTES DIFFERENT THAN IOWA CORN FED DEER. I LIKE TO MAKE CHILI OUT OF IT BECAUSE IT ALREADY TASTES HALF SEASONED. MY LITTLE TRICK FOR CHILI IS ADDING ABOUT 2 TBLSPOONS OF TACO SEASONING AFTER ALL THE REST .

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.........

<Fuzz>
posted
2lbs deer or elk
1 onion diced
6-8 cloves garlic
1/4 cup ground New Mex. Chili
1T Penzey's Hot Chili powder
2T Penzey's Reg Chili powder
1T cumin
salt to tast
1ts oregano (Mexican) seeped in favorit brew for 1/2hr.
water
12-15oz can tomato sause
Brown meat then add onion & garlic,cook till onion is done. Add spices one at a time,mix well.Simmer 1/2hr. A just enough water to cover.Simmer 1/2hr. Add tomato sause. Simmer 1hr.
enjoy. Fuzz