Find
Notify
Tools

What is pernil?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is pernil?

When speaking of the Caribbean islands of Latin America, pernil - a beautiful and flavourful roasted pork shoulder - is synonymous with family, tradition and good times.

But rather than TELL you, I would rather SHOW you, using an utterly outstanding pernil coming from an old, traditional Cuban family recipe. I recently made this as part of an over-all meal and was completely blown away with how good it was.

The entire process was too big and not actually my recipe, so I am only able to tease you a little bit here; however, if you want to learn how to make this:

Then click here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...rchao_topic3190.html

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed if you try this one!

Ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a pernil fan. My experience is from Venezuela. Pernil sandwiches, pernil arepas, hard to beat.

Any dive, kiosk, dump anywhere along the highway had shawarma-type pernil, ready to shave off and slap on a piece of bread, or just wrap in a piece of paper.

Yours looks a little more up-scale, but excellent.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might try that recipe.

My only problem is I never have any pork meat with the skin attached, as I skin all of my wild pigs just like I do a deer.

I wonder how it would work if I covered the pork roast with bacon???

After all EVERYTHING is good with Bacon on it... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing tastes better than a big hog roasted on a a large skewer over charcoal.The hog needs to be one that lives out in the sun and fresh air,eating natural foods with good genetics.I remember as a youngster attending some of these country festivals while on vacation and eating the stuff.WOW is all I have to say.Nothing like the garbage pork out there today.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT for Ken! tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote