Find
Notify
Tools

A good brat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
These seasonal brats from Johnsonville are worth your time to investigate. I threw a couple on the Traeger last night for some smoke, then over to the Weber gasser to grill.
Served them with currywurst and oh, boy!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Regarding currywurst sauce, I used this recipe:
https://www.thekitchenmaus.com/homemade-currywurst/

This one also looks good and is very different from the first one:

https://www.craftbeering.com/currywurst-recipe/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've not seen those at the store but don't often shop the meat isle. I will look for them next time I run to town.

That said, I have a horizontal sausage stuffer ordered and en route this week so I can ramp up making my own sausages, etc here.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, that sausage stuffer will get an honest workout at your place, I am sure. I have long been an admirer of your degree of self-sufficiency.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree! tu2

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, what make did you order? I assume it is electric. I have my old hand grinder for working it down by steps + mixture to sausage stuffing fare. I also have a hand crank 3 gallon cast iron casing stuffer, that was made in the early 1900s, still works just great; but then I have always been anachronistic, as you know. Learning to live this way in the early 70s was a realistic adventure into a charmed life + now it has become second nature. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in my formative years + they were the epitome of self-sufficient country folks. An enviable trait.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the one I ordered. I think with a hand crank I will have more control on pressure and hopefully less breakage on casing. My goal will be natural casings for breakfast sausage, brats, smoked sausage, etc. For snack sticks I would use the ones you peel off.

I went with horizontal for simple physics. Straight line will be less friction, etc than a vertical with a curved tube. This is a medium size unit.

7 liter stuffer

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a neat unit for a very fair price. That cast one of mine has the horizontal discharge + closely resembles a fruit press. But you need to be ready to make a LOT of sausage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuffer has arrived. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Of course, we'll need an image of it Ann.

– John Green, author