Find
Notify
Tools

Any other Hank Shaw fans here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
This guy, if you have never heard of him he is really talented and has produced some fine books. Since the gardening season is on I believe I will make this recipe soon:

Cherry Tomato Tart

The main page of his website is a feast to the eye as well. I really like finding stuff like his recipes to utilize everything I hunt, grow and forage. Serious coolness factor besides delicious recipes.

https://honest-food.net/

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of Hank Shaw. His foraging book Hunt Gather Cook is outstanding. That was my first introduction to Shaw.

Then Mike Detorre gifted me Shaw’s game cook book: Buck Buck Moose. I can tell you without a doubt, that is a modern classic.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I enjoy the stuff on his facebook page too. Lots of great ideas from all there.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ann: You're fast becoming the new Tas! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Ann: You're fast becoming the new Tas! rotflmo

He's on Hank Shaw's FB page since Walter won't let him post on AR anymore. I know we all miss him. I'll probably do a chicken paprikash for Halloween since that is a Ron inspired tradition. I do have some authentic smoked Hungarian paprika around here somewhere which would be good with that dish...

Since I am retired I have a little more time to explore the culinary arts and also put my hard work to use.

I'm kinda tired of muggy summer weather and ready for fall weather. I need to block wood for the wood stove yet and gear up for hunting. So many more good meals with root crops and all to come in yet. I think I will have a lot of sweet potatoes and will need to explore uses. I am sure to find some good ideas on Hank's website and page.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know we all miss him.

Yes we do. tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
I know we all miss him.

Yes we do. tu2

Tas is missed.

It’s a bummer that politics has had such a negative impact in this site.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! We all miss him I especially miss the labor that he went to to photo every step of his meal production + those fabulous recipes. He put a lot more effort in hi meals than I generally do.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote