THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    slow cooker pork tenderloin...pulled pork

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

slow cooker pork tenderloin...pulled pork
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
I got a slowcooker a couple months ago as a gift... and have seen several recipes on the internet for pork tenderloin.... the slow cooker model that I have is only a 300 watt style and it takes overnight to make this... so I start with a couple of pork tenderloins.. about 4-5 lbs... just put them in the slow cooker, add 2 cans of rotel tomoatoes/chiles... 1 can od enchilada sauce.. and 1 can of water... no salt, pepper or anything.... cook on high for at least half the liquid is gone... about 5 hrs... then reduce power to half and let simmer for another 8-10 or until most of the juice is gone... shred the pork in the cooker.. makes great tacos, nachos, or anything you'd used pulled pork for....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Great idea! On a similar note, I take a nice sized tenderloin, lay it on heavy duty foil, cover it with a bottle of your favorite picante sauce , wrap it up tight and cook it in the oven at 325 for about an hour, comes out tender and juicy!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All sounds good, but I wouldn't use pork tenderloin for a pulled pork recipe. You can get by with any pork roast for that.

Posts: 10013 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I like a Boston butt for slow-cooker pulled puerco, but Jim's recipe sounds pretty darned good, too.
Another great one is pork chops slow-cooked in apple cider and chicken broth with fennel, sage and rosemary. Pull the chops and fennel after about five hours and reduce the cider/broth, thicken with corn starch and add a thin-sliced apple. Omigosh!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Lavaca's comment. What you described is a waste of a good tenderloin.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
the pork tenderloins that I cooked were on the "less than half price" shelf at HEB... I got both of them, over 4 lbs of meat for less than $5....plus they were already marinating in bbq sauce...... the boston butt or shoulder cuts usually have too much extra fat, and in a slow cooker, it doesn't go away like it does on a bbq pitt....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like extra fat, which is probably why I'm extra fat.

But there are ways to deal with it in a slow cooker. First, you can trim the meat before you put it in. A great tool for this is the Havalon filet knife. You can make incredibly thin slices.

Next is to skim off the fat, if any, from time to time while it cooks.

I still wouldn't use a tenderloin for pulled pork, but more power to you if you like it. And Lord knows, there are a lot of pigs in Texas, so I can understand trying to figure out how to use the meat.

Posts: 10013 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The best venison sausage needs an equal amount of boston butt ham o maea primeumprteduct. nneeds an equalamount of boston but pork (sorry musims!)F. them anywayhttps://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.7.2147483647/platform_images/blank.gif

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jimatcat, you got way too good a deal on those tenderloins. I'm surprised you haven't been eaten-up with guilt and sent one of them to one of us.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I usually go to the grocery store on sunday mornings after breakfast with the guys.... I've learned to make the "day old" meat case the first stop... ive found nice steaks, chops and ribs for more than 50% off, I pass on the ground beef or chicken... ususally there's several packages of seasoned, marinated fajiatas too....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a 3.7 Lb. pork butt in the slow cooker last night. Since this was a smaller piece of meat, I went with one can of Rotell. Unlike my old cooker, this one has a gasket on the lid and didn't cook off any of the liquid. No problem, just skimmed off some of the liquid and fat, then finished the last few hours with the lid off. Yum.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote