Find
Notify
Tools

Chorizo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
This recipe has been tried and tested with 1 pound of ground venison, with no added fat.

3 cloves garlic (finely chopped or mashed)
3-4 sprigs cilantro (chopped) (not critical)
1 tablepoons Ground red chili powder
1 “ Sweet paprika
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. Use more cumin if the ground chili powder does not contain cumin.
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt +/- (your taste)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper +/- (your taste)
1/2 teaspoon oregano +/- (your taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-2 oz. vinegar

I like my stuff a little spicy so I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne.
Big Grin

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
What do you use for fat?When I think of chorizo I think chorizo and potato tacos or chorizo and eggs.Most all the ground venison I have ever seen was very lean.Not enough fat for either spuds or eggs to cook in.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My butcher grinds my elk or deer with 5 to 10% added fat. Works well. I would rather the chorizo be lean, and a bit on the dry side.
I have also made it with extra lean ground beef. Thinking on your question, I might try mixing a bit of ground pork with it as well next time.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Are you on the Rim?

Sounds like realy good sausage.

I leave out the coriander and cloves and put in a lot of garlic and onion powder. I use 25% fat pork with deer, otherwise it just doesn't taste like sausage to me. I have been letting it hang in the smoker for about an hour or so before we freeze it...adds a lot to the end flavor.

I cooked a pound for breakfast this morning and cooked some hash browns and eggs over easy on toast. It was all gone when I went back for seconds....my kids eat too well!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I called my butcher and he told me they use 10%
1 lb to 10 lbs.....pork fat. It has been very good. The chorizo I make is bulk to be used in the pan and with eggs then scrambled in.....

Yes, I am on the rim. My house is about 1/2 mile from the White Mountain Apache Res. I took a great bull elk 2 seasons back about 100 yds from the res. fence.....

Problem in Az is getting drawn. Have not had a big game tag since then.

My youngest daugther just moved to D.C. Told her to check out the eastern shore.....

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:

Are you on the Rim?

Sounds like realy good sausage.

I leave out the coriander and cloves and put in a lot of garlic and onion powder. I use 25% fat pork with deer, otherwise it just doesn't taste like sausage to me. I have been letting it hang in the smoker for about an hour or so before we freeze it...adds a lot to the end flavor.

I cooked a pound for breakfast this morning and cooked some hash browns and eggs over easy on toast. It was all gone when I went back for seconds....my kids eat too well!!

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, stuffed sausage should contain 45-50% fat by volume. This is what is standard in what we eat everyday. I recently stuffed sum with 25% fat and it was dry as a bone. Not knocking you and will try your recipe as it looks good, but will add hog fat.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt4Life:
Generally speaking, stuffed sausage should contain 45-50% fat by volume. This is what is standard in what we eat everyday. I recently stuffed sum with 25% fat and it was dry as a bone. Not knocking you and will try your recipe as it looks good, but will add hog fat.

Hunt4Life,
Although mexican chorizo is generally stuffed into links,apon cooking it is taking out of the links and scrambled.I like to scramble it with some onions jalapenos cilantro and canned new potatos served up in a flour tortilla.More common is to scramble eggs into it for breakfeast tacos,or there is queso flamiado.There is a smoked chorizo as well.Found more in spanish cooking.
If you where to make it with pork butts its got a great fat to lean ratio.Most mexican chorizo is made fatty using salivary glands and lymph nodes. One other thing it is a fine grind.I generally ran it thru a regular hamburger plate three times.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Correct me if aI am wrong here but chorizo is a pretty generic Spanish term also used in Portugal for a spicy sausage.

What is means in Mexico is a similar sausage that many are familiar with but what most don't know is that real Mexican chorizo (that is so good in breakfast tacos) is made primarily of lymph nodes and salivary glands.

I guess a lot of you didn't want to know that but just close your eyes and eat. It tastes great.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baboon,

Thanks for the follow up. I eat it a lot in fajitas ground up(at my local Taqueria) but always see it at the market linked. That explains it. I love making sausage especially with fresh ingredients. Just got a new 17 pound meat mixer that I am itching to try with about 100 pounds of venision in the freezer. I am going to make some of all of the following:
Brats
Sweet Italian
Smoked Keibasa
Breakfast Small Links
and now chorizo

Bon Appetite!

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good recipe, I put a little white wine in mine, and make it with pure pork ...yum Otherwise yours looks quite good.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys got it figgered out!!

Mine and two other families did 400 lbs of sausage two weeks ago. It took almost a whole (250 lb on the hoof) hog to make the deer "just right" for sausage. Everyone has their own way to do it...I like just enough sizzle to cook the sausage and not end up deep frying at the end.

We spiced the meat three ways, mild, medium and HOT!! It all had a lot of garlic, cumin, cilantro amd chilis out of the garden...no sage in mine.

Bill,

I love the top of the Rim!! I know the problem with getting drawn...I only got cow permits when I lived there. Wife #1 drew a bull and I shot it for her after 2 misses. When the weather gets warm, invite your daughter and friends to visit St Michael's for some crabs. Dick Chaney just bought a home there..it's a nice place to visit and a little more than an hour from DC!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I will remember that and when I go to visit her will give you an e-mail follow up. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
When the weather gets warm, invite your daughter and friends to visit St Michael's for some crabs. Dick Chaney just bought a home there..it's a nice place to visit and a little more than an hour from DC!!

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Also nothing wrong with the Fisherman's Inn (right next the Waterman's memorial) or the Crab Cove at Kent Narrows on Rt 50 East.

I went perch fishing yesterday afternoon. Didn't catch anything, but did get home in time to shoot a nice little 8 PT with the bow.

The year of the .30-06!!