Find
Notify
Tools

Malbec Beef Stew
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I did this as a stew, instead of as a pot roast. I think it would work either way.

2 pounds of chuck or round cut into 1 inch chunks, browned.

1 bottle Malbec wine. The bottle I used I bought from Amazon for $15 (Amazon.de sells booze, cool I know).

2 onions (I didn't brown my first) you could if you wanted to.

4 bay leaves (I didn't have fresh, so I used dried).

3 sprigs thyme (I used fresh).

3 whole carrots peeled and chopped.

1 tub of mushrooms

5 whole potatos peeled and chopped.

I didn't use beef broth, if you want to try it. I used beef broth on another beef stew a few days ago and it was good, but I used no wine. Your choice.

I used a tablespoon and half of salt, and half a table spoon of pepper. I like it peppery, but I am the minority in my family. I might have used 1/4 teaspoons too much salt.

I started the meat, bay leaves, onions and thyme in crockpot at 0700 am, on low. I put the mushrooms, potatos and carrots in at 1400. We ate at 1800.

Correction we ate well!

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so we tried this again and honestly it kind of sucked.

We had some beef bones going for stock, and I added about 8 cups of stock to the bottle of Malbec.

I didn't have a ton of time, and the meat was frozen so I just dumped it in the crock pot.

So Malbec stew does not need stock, the sock made it taste bad. Malbec on it's own is great, don't add stock.

Also brown the meat, what a difference in quality of experience from now browning the meat.

I had a Windhoek Lager with my stew last night, that helped a lot.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Results!

Round 3