New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corned Venision
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just put up a crock of venison to corn, if it turns out OK I will post the recipe.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds really good. I love corned meats. That's the best part about St. Patricks Day.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
In west Texas when you shoot them they are already "corned," and they thrive on it. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was great! The following is the receipe.

2-4 gal. water
1 1/2 lb. brown sugar
2 1/2 lb salt
1/4 lb baking soda
1 oz salt peter

This brine will do 50 lb of meat. I made the full batch and used the amount of brine I needed instead of trying to adjust for the amount of meat I had. The cost of the mix is cheap and you can save the unused brine for future use. I used the first meat about 12 days into the brining. It was great, used cold for sandwiches.

Seeded Rye, swiss cheese and mustard or slice onion in place of cheese or Oh Hell what ever you like on your sandwich.

I am going to do a batch with potatoes and cabbage.

Cook as you would corned beef.

I boiled mine in water with fresh cracked pepper and alspice with a couple of bay leaves for a couple of hrs. I found the ham floated in the water until cooked and then it sank in the water.

The receipe is from the L L Bean Game and Fish Cook Book.

I may try to do a piece for the DSC get togeather.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooo, right at lunchtime too. Sounds great.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I would try a larger-grained meat some time, like elk or moose, that is more similar to beef brisket.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
After corning/brining rather than boil it, roll it in cracked black pepper and salt and cook slowly in a wood fired barbecue pit and you will have venison pastrami.
Oooh yeah!! Now you're talkin.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I have had good success adding a few Tblsp of horseradish to the brine. Really gives a nice zippy flavor

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shared a couple of plates of the corned venision with the AR members at the DSC Sat nite party and I gues it was enjoyed as the plates were clean. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying the corned version on antelope and I;ll try the pastrami version to boot..sure had a hell of a time getting saltpeter (embarassing) finally the druggist came to the rescue! Did you add a sort of spice package to the pot when you boiled it? Thanks....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty common to use pickling spice when corning meats.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
I'm trying the corned version on antelope and I;ll try the pastrami version to boot..sure had a hell of a time getting saltpeter (embarassing) finally the druggist came to the rescue! Did you add a sort of spice package to the pot when you boiled it? Thanks....

I corned some beef brisket a while back. Used Morton Tender Quick, which has salt, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.

Here's a link: http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=43

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds about the same as making dried venison as far as the curing process. To make dried venison instead, after curing, put it in the oven on a rack with a pan under it at 225 deg F for about 4 hours so the internal temperature reaches 160 deg F. After that, put it in a smoker (with apple wood) with the thermostat set for 112 deg F. After about another 24 hours you'll have dried venison. My wife pretty much does not like venison, but thinks this stuff is great. Even my picky eater grandchildren like it.

posted Hide Post
These recipes sound great. Now I need to make some corned venison and smoke some corned moose in applewood. I am going to try the "New England Corned Beef Brine & Seasoning Spice Blend" from the sausagesource.com ( I'm not affiliated with them in any way. They are local to me and I like their products and they are good people)

Thanks for the info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The saltpeter is not necessary but you will not get the nice pink or red curred look. I just got back from Fla and shot a meat hog and I just put the ribs up to corn.

As to cooking the venision I usually use a couple of bay leaves, some black pepper corns and stud an orange with cloves.

Next week (late for St Pat day) I am going to do a corned venision ham with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Have some good hard crusted bread for sopping and some good beer to wash it all down with.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I would personally use the Morton tender Quick if you can find it or Prague powder which is potassium nitrate or nitrite. It's available online from several different sausage making supply houses. I also use Prague to make my own "back bacon" or Canadian bacon with. As far as the corned venison goes, it also wouldn't hurt to throw in a handful of whole peppercorns and a fistful of pickling spices. that will give it a good authentic corn beef , pardon me, corned venison flavor.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote