Notify
Tools

Dutch Oven
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Never know what is under the lid.

Umm real sourdough, using a starter I brewed.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
This one is a "Civilized" 5 quart for use in an electric oven.

I have both a 6 quart and a 8 quart with the campfire legs and a rimmed lid, for use when the coals are ready.

As soon as our 2 feet of snow goes away I will do some chuckwagon style cooking in the fire pit in front of the barn. Just like Wishbone in Rawhide!

Posts: 1458 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous loaf!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
And it is really tasty. A somewhat coarse grain, just a little firm, with a nutty flavor and a hint of the sour. Chewy and excellent toasted with butter and clover honey.

I hate mushy white bread, the sourdough is a welcome change.

I use a bowl about the same size as the Dutch oven for raising the dough. Lined with parchment so I can lift the raised dough out of the bowl and drop into the Dutch oven. Takes about 2 hours for the dough to rise, I preheat the Dutch Oven at 250 degrees while the dough is rising, then turn up to 350 when the dough is placed in the Dutch Oven. 40 Minutes baking. Test with a wood skewer, when it comes out clean, leave the lid off and bake 10 minutes more to brown.

PS lodge Dutch Ovens, made in Tennessee of heavy cast iron and the very best.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS lodge Dutch Ovens, made in Tennessee of heavy cast iron and the very best.

tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice loaf. I have some "no-knead artisan bread" dough aging in the fridge. Should start to sour about Tuesday.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, let us know how it turns out!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Today's Bread: A sourdough strain from Alaska

Brown crock is my home brew starter, in the glass is the Alaska strain

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks wonderful. Real butter on a warm chuck of bread, right?

You cultures look quite lively.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mouth is watering!!!!!!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mine too! When my kids come over for holidays, etc. I bake a loaf of whole wheat bread + it comes out of the oven fresh + hot; I'll have a stick of butter on the counter + after making the house smell like Heaven, my boys hit it + it's usually gone in 10 minutes. Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote