New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here in the UK the stubbles are alive with Canada geese. It would be no hard thing to knock a couple over every now and again.

However Canada's have a reputation for being oily, fishy, tough etc. Anyone tried any?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
1894 -

We cook them many ways here. One of the easy ways is to just breast them out and hot smoke them.

Another way we call "Goosey Cheese Steak". Its a pain in the ass to do but very very good.
I'll send you the way we do these if you would like.

Back To The Stove
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried one once,cooked it like a turkey.No one ate it, tasted bad-salty and fish-like.I was really dissapointed.Is there something I should know?Iam not a goose or duck hunter.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shouldn't taste fishy since they eat veggies not fish. But like all game dress it out immediately.Here we have early [ sept] seasons and that's very important.A young bird can be roasted otherwise the best way is to braise. Cut bird into about 12 pieces and brown in hot oil.Add chopped onion, celery, carrot.Optional mushrooms and tomato. Fruit [dried or fresh]is an excellent addition wih good tart apple, cherries ,or lemon.Simmer until tender.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Migratory birds do taste strong, but not really fishy. Take the meat breast and legs (lots of meat on the legs) put in a roasting pot, add quite a bit of salt, pepper, red wine and an onion or two. Roast uncovered an hour or so if the pot is full if only a couple geese then roast less. Then toss in a bunch of butter, cover it and slowly braise for 6 hours or so until the meat is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes and don't forget the roasting juice for the potatoes. This is a very primative way of cooking goose but still my favorite.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I like to reconstitute dried cherries or blue berries in wine to stuff the bird.Roast it and then glaze it with jam of the fruit that was used in the stuffing.The fruit kills the strong taste.Anyone who does not like dark meat should not mess with it.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does a Canada done right taste like in comparison? I love grouse and ptarmigan,woodcock too.There are fish and meats that taste great period.Lobster and grouse for example.Inherant good taste if there is such a thing.No prejudice.I love lamb and beef.I think they taste better than deer or caribou.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to kill a bunch of them and eat em...now I eat chicken and domestic turkey because I can. Geese are almost as bad as a dump fed black bear.....even bacon fat does not help.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink Knew I wasn't crazy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think goose and duck is a taste you have to grow up with. They are very strong no doubt but dam I love them. My uncle sends me as much as I can eat. I cook them all toghether then freeze them in packages for later. ...........yum

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calgarychef1,do you prefer a bbq grain fed chicken or a roasted goose? I would prefer the wild game meat over the chicken but for my health.You are saying if you get used to eating it one may prefer it over the chicken?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy geese very much. I have found the best way to cook them is to breast them out and then treat them like beef. I will tenderize and then marinate overnight in a teriaky type marinade. Put on the grill until done no more than med rare. Excellent.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion...I grew up eating teal and mallards which were fine back in the days when we still used lead shot. Mom used to stuff them with bread, onion and sausage and bake em....they were just fine.

Geese have no place with these fine birds. They are dirty nasty birds that shit all over the place and are only good to watch in the early Fall because when they come South, I know deer bow season is here.

Geese are like shooting a big fat balsa glider on short final...what's the point? There must have been 200 Canadas in the field across the road this afternoon...just waiting to be dinner on someone else's plate.

Mike, If you need to tenderize and marinade your beef overnight, you got the wrong cow.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred it over chicken. It's a tasty treat for me. I have to admit that a teal or mallard is nicer. Same sort of taste just a little milder and much less "stringy" I like to pull the goose or duck and make a sandwich in a fresh bisquit dipped in the roasting jus.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I my not have been clear in my post. I never do what I describe to beef other than the cook to medium rare part. I hardly even eat beef. I have a frezzer full of bison. But if geese are prepared in the way described they will taste like very good beef.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now bison is another story!! That beats goose anyday!! I wish you best of luck with the geese...I like to watch and listen to them, but I'll leave the eat to you guys!!

I spent mid day in a tree...no deer, so I had a chicken salad sandwich and a nap...it was too windy to throw rocks...even the geese were grounded!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I take exception to the statements re goose being greasy, taste bad, etc., etc. Try this recipe and if you don't like it - - well, I don't know what to say.
Roast Goose Chili

1 tablespoon butter or margarine 1 cup onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups cubed goose
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes
1 (16-ounce) can chili beans
1 cup green bell pepper, minced
1 cup beer
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over low heat; add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add goose, and cook until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 3 hours or until sauce reaches desired thickness. · You can also prepare this in a slow cooker. After browning the onion, garlic, and goose, combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.

Carry some of this out to the blind with you, heat it up and get back to me on how you liked it.

This is from the website for recipes from Ducks Unlimited and there you will find many more - have a look at http://www.ducks.org/waterfowling/recipes/index.asp

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. dry red wine
2/3 cup condensed beef broth
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1 goose
1 med. onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 large apple, cored and cut in chunks
Salt

PREPARATION:

Combine the first 4 ingredients. Marinate the goose for 2 or 3 hours in this mixture.(Some folks marinate overnight, some I've known have left it in for 2 days.) Place onion, celery, and apple into cavity of goose. Sprinkle goose with salt. Pour marinade over goose. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until goose is tender. Baste several times with marinade. Roast breast side up, uncovered, for the last 15 minutes to brown

Posts: 175 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want truly good goose or ducks. My Grandfather used to hang them in the garage--I still remember the sight and smell...it was wonderful to a boy. Hang them by the head with the entrails in for a week or so....the necks used to stretch and some of them would almost be ready to fall off. He used to do this until he had enough birds to be worth cleaning them, you know anything above 15 or so. Damn that was good eating.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
there are 2 ways i like to cook goose and both simple.
1. Requires a spit-roaster.
Rub goose with a mixture of olive oil,lemon juice,salt,pepper,and garlic. Put a drip pan under goose and surround pan with coals and roast 2 1/2 hrs. or so poking holes in breast as it cooks.
2. Rub goose inside and out with oil salt and pepper. Stuff cavity with 1 small onion,peeled and 2 lbs unpeeled garlic.Sew up or close cavity, poke holes in brest with long fork. Roast on rack breast down and covered at 375 for 2 hrs. Uncover, turn breast up and brown 30-45
min.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP,

That should make a great chili out of any meat!!

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
TrapperP,

That should make a great chili out of any meat!!

Don't know about 'any meat' but this Cajun tried it already with venison, goose and duck - works with these! Also, good way to use the leg meat, etc that is normally thrown away when you breast out the birds.
Try the 'steak' recipe from the DU site - God, I love that stuff cooked in the boat or blind - just don't cook it past a medium rare. You'll be fighting with your bud's for the next slice, I guarantee!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 son came home tonight with 4 mallard breasts. He insisted on cooking them himself as a stir fry. He used a sweet sesame oil and fresh ginger/soy sauce and cut the duck into 1/4" strips and cooked them for about 4 minutes in a hot wok....took the duck out and put in veggies and cooked to a light crunchy and then added the duck back in and stirred it all together. He did good...of course I taught him how!!

TrapperP,

That is a good chili 'cause it is pretty much what I make too, I just don't measure anything and I use some bacon fat to start it all off when I fry the meat. I usually put in a whole dark beer, less a couple sips. You're right...it makes damn good chili!!!!!

The year of the .30-06!!