New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose
 Login/Join

<mod 12>
posted
Rifle Killed Moose: It's what's for dinner... I loaned my .300 Winchester to a gun club buddy and he killed an Alberta moose with it. The 180 gr. Bear Claw zipped right throught the moose and with minimal damage, except the moose fell over dead in his tracks. Yesterday he gave my rifle back to me and a cooler full of steaks and roasts with burger and kielbassa to come when he gets it finished. Anybody have a killer, tried and true moose recipe they'd like to sharwe with me?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tell you what mod 12,
Send me .... oh about 1/2 of the steaks and roasts you got and I'll work something up for you [Big Grin]
Grill them with a drawn butter and Wosterchestire(sp?) basting(50/50)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Mod12:
You know that I don't lie when it comes to food so I am going to help you out with the steaks. Try my recipe for skillet steak and you will be screaming for more.
SKILLET STEAK
1/4 Tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/2 CP good Kentucky Bourbon

One large, thick steak, preferably a strip, sirloin or t-bone.
In a large plastic container that will hold the meat in one layer, (I use a heavy bag and expel the air) combine the soy sauce, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and black pepper. Stir well, add the steak, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or for as long as over-night, turning once or twice.

Take a heavy black iron skillet and heat it up as hot as you can get it. Throw in two tablespoons of salt - coarse or Kosher works best - and then add the steak, cooking a couple of minutes per inch per side. Have everything ready to eat before you do the steak, turn it out on the plate and eat it right now! It won’t be salty, it will have the best taste of any steak you have eaten and I think you ought to invite me up to have one with you!

In my opinion, moose is the second best venison I have ever eaten, only elk is better to me. What does everyone else think?
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Trapper,

That sounds great! I'm gonna try it w/ elk tonight.

Mod 12,

Here is a great recipe for your tougher cuts (which is about all moose). I call it Elk Parmagian, but I've made it with Moose and Deer.

Take some steaks, cut thin, about 1/4" or less. Tenderize with a metal or wood mallet. Fry the meat, searing on both sides, but not fully cooked. Remove from fry pan and put into caserole dish. Mix two cans of golden mushroom soup with 3/4 - 1 can of milk. Pour over steaks. Completely cover contents of dish with freshly shredded or grated (not canned) parmegian cheese. Put in over at 375 and heat until cheese bubbles into soup mix. Serve with noodles.

It's quick, easy and you'll love it!

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I am sorry but I forgot to mention one thing about using this recipe, and if you have tried it you already know what it is - it REALLY SMOKES up things! Probably best used out of doors. Just be sure and get the skillet really hot before you put the meat in, and don't overcook it. My mouth is watering right now and I'm trying to work.
Regards,

<'Trapper'>
posted
Back again, just can't keep my mouth shut today.
SBT, take the recipe you put up and try it with sliced goose breast. I do this pretty much the same butI add sliced canned mushrooms. Sure don't ever have to worry about left overs!
Regards,

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Trapper,

Tried your recipe and we really enjoyed it. The only change was I didn't have bourbon whiskey so I used Canadian. I'll be bourbon is even better.

I have also added a can of mushrooms, it makes it even better. I haven't tried it with goose, but be its great!

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
Thanks for the good recipes, guys. I'll give both a try. Karl said the moose is tough and needs "crockpot time" so will work around that. I like the sound of mushroom soup recipe as I do something similar with pork chops and pheasants. I layer onions and sliced mushrooms and the gravy is out of this world. There is never any left. I've got the tenerloins and have to do trapper's recipe with those.

SBT-: I have an internet buddy , Cody, from the old F & S forum that lives in Jackson Hole. he got a moose this year plus deer and lope. I may have to hook up with him for next year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rub the moose steaks with Montreal steak spice and barbeque quickly over hot coals baste the steaks with garlic butter while cooking

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
I slice russet potatoes, coat them with olive oil, sprinkle with Montreal seasoning, spread out in a large black skillet and then bake in the oven at 350 till done. Dang, their good.

Thanks for the steak tip.

<mod 12>
posted
I took a sirloin roast and crock poted it all day in a can of vegtable broth and a package of onion soup mix over the top. When we got home from work, I put 4 cans of broth on the stove and cooked about a pound of Costco's homemade style country pasta noodles on to boil, add the roast and was that fantastic. I took the leftovers to school today and they were a hit with a couple of my teaching buddies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I found another roast in the freezer. It was three years old. I thawed it out and it was fine. I cut it up and made chili out of it and it was wonderful. I have one package of tenderloins left and if it will quit raining, I'm going to grill them over the coals with some vine maple and alder.

Big John aka Mod 12

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recipe for bush moose

Slice moose really thin across the grain
Slice onions
Slice Mushrooms

Sautee the mushrooms a few at a time in a hot pan. Just sautee some then add more a bit at a time....yumm No need to remove the cooked mushrooms--this is what Paul Prudhomme calls "layering"

Then add in the onions the same way a few at a time

Now add the sliced moose with salt and pepper.

When it's all nicely cooked throw in a big nob of cold butter. Quickly stir the butter in.

Pile it on a plate and eat with a frosty beer.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose Forequarter meat...
POT ROAST...!!!!
Some Onions, carrots, maybe a piece or two of celery, several Garlic cloves, a little red wine.
Be patient...cook it slow, covered.
Thicken the juice and serve with homemade bread. mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had moose stroganoff, home made whole grain noodles and green beans.

yum

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a hot fudge covered bowl of french vanilla ice cream with chunks of mint Girl Scout cookies on top...eat your heart out!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mmmm save a cookie--eat a girl guide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or...was that a Brownie??

No damn wonder I need to loose weight....I felt bad and had a salad for lunch!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This summer Sandy gave me some moose and am back in business.
I will try the strogonoff and Trapper's fried steaks.

The past few nights I've been cooking over the coals in a cast iron saute pan and it's been fun. I'll try that with the moose.

Regards,

Big John aka Mod 12

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are having trouble with stuff being tough, try and let it hang longer. I have left some deer hanging until they actually started to have a crust on them, and the meat was tender as could be. Obviously you can't do that in real hot weather, but if its cool, let the thing hang at least 3-4 weeks and you will get some tender meat.